Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #145,861 of 154,393
For your information, I graduated with honors from UNC Chapel Hill. 😒
Really? Well in that case I officially take back every bad thing I've ever said about you. I'll start over again of course, but for now you're golden. 🤣

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #145,862 of 154,393
Sir Douglas Quintet...cool

Had quite the pop hit with Mendocino
An sooooooo much more to find there, man! All about the grooove! 😁 Doug Sahm was an amazing singer and guitar player. Listen to “At the Crossroads” for example.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #145,863 of 154,393
Really? Well in that case I officially take back every bad thing I've ever said about you. I'll start over again of course, but for now you're golden. 🤣
I have a PDF diploma signed by the Dean (a former Nigerian prince). I can print another copy and send it to you. 😒

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #145,864 of 154,393
I've been paying her tuition (no loans), books, car, insurance, cell phone, internet, and giving her an allowance for 4 years now and off-campus apartment rent for 3 years. All she has to pay is meals, electricity, and gas for the car. She's transferred twice and with each transfer credits didn't carry-over, so classes had to be retaken. No real sense of urgency so I had to draw the line. Will I help out post-college? Sure. But I ain't telling her that! :D
Upon HS graduation, my father offered to buy a car, or pay for college (early 70's before college's were heavily subsidized). I took college, worked in a bike shop, and got a nice deal on a Merlin (the british framemaker). Food and rent was always on me, but folks were always there to help.......

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #145,865 of 154,393
For your information, I graduated with honors from UNC Chapel Hill. I have a diploma signed by the former Nigerian Prince Dean. 😒
... are you sure that it isn't a Nigerian chain letter asking for $$$$$? PDF = pressing demand of funds!!

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #145,866 of 154,393
I love my FV with Sennheiser HD 800S headphones.
I’ve tried to like the HD800s a few times and I just can’t love it. I’ve never owned one though, maybe it takes some extended time to really appreciate the nuances.

I haven’t heard it with the FV, but I did hear it on the Cayin HA-6A.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #145,867 of 154,393
I’ve tried to like the HD800s a few times and I just can’t love it. I’ve never owned one though, maybe it takes some extended time to really appreciate the nuances.

I haven’t heard it with the FV, but I did hear it on the Cayin HA-6A.
It's a popular pairing with the Fv, but I didn't like it either 🤷‍♂️

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #145,869 of 154,393
Upon HS graduation, my father offered to buy a car, or pay for college (early 70's before college's were heavily subsidized). I took college, worked in a bike shop, and got a nice deal on a Merlin (the british framemaker). Food and rent was always on me, but folks were always there to help.......
I helped my son save for college and living at home, my wife working there and his paying half the normal tuition helped. He also knew where to park to avoid paying $600 a year for campus parking. Much different than my daughter going to Colorado Mountain College.😁 I was generally on scholarship and later employers paid for more education.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #145,870 of 154,393
It's a popular pairing with the Fv, but I didn't like it either 🤷‍♂️
My two favorites with the FV that I’ve tried so far are my ZMF Auteur OG and Beyerdynamic T90. The ZMF Verite Closed has risen up the ranks on it too since I’ve put in different tubes that tilt the tonality a bit more towards neutral.

I want to pick up one of the new cheaper Grado X series headphones to try. It’s decent with my PS1000e, but I can never get it positioned right on my head to make it comfortable.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #145,872 of 154,393
My deal with my two sons, all during High School, was this: “I will *match* the scholarship you get - first year value - to buy a vehicle. I will pay tuition and, if in college dorm, room/board for exactly and no more than 4 years. Don’t F it up.”

If you don’t count second son’s ONE extra semester - F U COVID and the CRAZINESS. Both made it. I also forced them to take (small by today’s standards) loans, so they had a real-world stake in the AFTER outcome.

Son 1: Graduated Magna Cum Laude in 2019; scrubbed pilot jobs/cargo dog all during Covid. Now (starting) pilot at SWA; already owns own home, father to my first grandchild.
Son 2: Graduated (pheee-freeeking-ewwwww/barely) in 2022. Now a MechEng at Toyota NA R/D HQ in Michigan.

“Tough love”. Make contracts/deals. Stakes. Consequences. Lessons. Be consistent. Be thankful. Raise strong kids. Build from YOUR mistakes.

Anywhere (California or Texas, or ….)

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #145,873 of 154,393
“Tough love”. Make contracts/deals. Stakes. Consequences. Lessons. Be consistent. Be thankful. Raise strong kids. Build from YOUR mistakes.

Anywhere (California or Texas, or ….)
Well stated. And well done. And one of the things my Dad taught me early on (where he led by example): "Don't wait for opportunity to come to you. Go where the opportunity already is." CA -> KY -> NY -> NC -> TN -> MO -> NC -> OK -> Netherlands -> WI -> CA -> NC -> GA -> OK. Maybe I took that too literally. :laughing:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #145,875 of 154,393
I consider myself very fortunate. I've gotten 2 of my girls through college and getting the last one through.

My middle daughter graduated Baylor with a degree in digital marketing and is a brand manager for a large food and entertainment corporation.

The oldest graduated University of N. Texas and is a 5th grade language arts teacher. She's the mom of our grand daughter.

The youngest is a certified EMT and has an associate degree in Paramedicine. She is the one working through to get her bachelor's degree in Nursing and RN.

Just gotta get her past the finish line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back