Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #146,281 of 153,125
Do you have a trusted source for the Psvane CV181-T MKII? I have been looking for some tubes to try out in my Freya+. I am not unhappy with the Tung Sol tubes it shipped with, and like those better than some Electroharmonix I tried out, but wouldn't mind expanding my horizons.
Just bought a matched quad set from Viva Tubes to roll my Freya+ and it sounds absolutely glorious, a complete transformation from the stock JJs, so I'd say safe place to get them.

They don't seem to carry octal tube savers, so I recommend getting some if running Psvane CV181-T MkIIs on the Freya+ because without socket savers, the tubes only engage about 2/3 of the way down on the pins due to their shape.

-Ed

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #146,283 of 153,125
Those speakers are remarkable in that they do not know that they are small. They behave and sound like much larger bookshelf speakers and are perfect for my office system. I drive them with a Gjallarhorn, fed by a Vali2+, Loki Mini+, and Modi Multibit DAC. A Emotiva subwoofer fills in the lower octave, but is not always needed. Dispersion and soundstage are very good, and the design is such that they are not as location critical as many other speakers, leaving flexibility in where you position them. A very worthwhile investment.
I agree with all that Sam is saying here. They punch well above their size and excel on imaging and soundstage. They were great with Rekkr and even better with Gjallarhorn.

I love mine!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #146,284 of 153,125
Just bought a matched quad set from Viva Tubes to roll my Freya+ and it sounds absolutely glorious, a complete transformation from the stock JJs, so I'd say safe place to get them.

They don't seem to carry octal tube savers, so I recommend getting some if running Psvane CV181-T MkIIs on the Freya+ because without socket savers, the tubes only engage about 2/3 of the way down on the pins due to their shape.

-Ed
Also my favourite valve on my Lyr 3. Rich and smooth, just how I like my coffee.

Andrew

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #146,286 of 153,125
My vinyl copy arrives tomorrow. Hopefully my TT is solid enough and the stylus won't jump.
Mine arrived today. It's just so...so...<sniff> beautiful. :laughing: I thought a pristine copy of this LP was a part of my youth that could never be revisited.

Suppose I have enough 1812's for now. The Decca, while not the sonic spectacular of the Telarc, is very nicely recorded and with a great performance to boot. The Philips is a decent recording, but Haitink is one of my favorite conductors (especially with Brahms works) and did not disappoint with this. The MoFi is a decent recording too, but not as good as many other MoFi Original Masters. It's my least favorite of the group, but not because it isn't good just that I like the others better.

1812s.jpg

And interesting that this piece of paper was added to the new LP. Didn't come with the original. Sign of the times I suppose: "If you're scraping your speaker cones off the wall opposite your speakers, don't say we didn't warn you." :laughing:

1812s2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #146,287 of 153,125
Mine arrived today. It's just so...so...<sniff> beautiful. :laughing: I thought that a pristine copy of this LP was a part of my youth that could never be regained.

Suppose I have enough 1812's for now. The Decca, while not the sonic spectacular of the Telarc, is very nicely recorded and with a great performance to boot. The Philips is a decent recording, but Haitink is one of my favorite conductors (especially with Brahms works) and did not disappoint with this. The MoFi is a decent recording, but not as good as many other MoFi Original Masters. It's my least favorite of the group, but not because it isn't good just that I like the others better.

1812s.jpg

And interesting that this piece of paper was added to the new LP. Didn't come with the original. Sign of the times I suppose: "If you're scraping your speaker cones off the wall opposite your speakers, don't say we didn't warn you." :laughing:

1812s2.jpg
I have that MFSL version too. Haven't played it in years.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #146,288 of 153,125
IMG_7664.jpeg

One set complete and under test. My source today is just a Pono player into a Melos SHA 1 line amplifier into a tube power amp formerly known as Cowen. I know the speakers are too close together but this is more for looks.🤪 playing Harvest by Neil Young.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #146,290 of 153,125
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #146,291 of 153,125
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #146,293 of 153,125
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #146,294 of 153,125
IMG_7664.jpeg

One set complete and under test. My source today is just a Pono player into a Melos SHA 1 line amplifier into a tube power amp formerly known as Cowen. I know the speakers are too close together but this is more for looks.🤪 playing Harvest by Neil Young.
I see you still haven't filled up those tube jars with Q-tips. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back