Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #146,581 of 153,242
Struggle to find wild boar down here in OZ, at least around my parts.
Had quite of bit of it on our Italy trips, molto bene!

* There are however plenty of wild bores
Wild boar - particularly brilliant with pasta at a mountain rifugio. Log fire and all.

Andrew
6205.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #146,582 of 153,242
A nice one ~~

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 15.28.36.png

Too much Jazz? then enjoy this ~~

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 15.54.58.png

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #146,583 of 153,242
I've been curious about this kind of chain as well. In my case, it's Freya N (for source switching and remote-controlled volume) feeding a Magni+. I've generally been at about 3/4 volume on each device and it sounds great, but should one be at max and the other at lower? What's the general consensus here?

Edit: Strangely enough, passive mode on the N has become my current favorite for listening with a borrowed pair of Drop HD6XX 'phones, even more than with tubes. There is a certain synergy in this chai that is mesmerizing. 😍
I run an Asgard 3 at the end of Freya+ > SYN > Lokius chain.

All volume is controlled by the Freya+; SYN and and Asgard are maxxed.

Works fine for me!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #146,584 of 153,242
Deleted more political stuff.

I don't understand how hard it is to understand: NO POLITICS. OF ANY KIND.

If this becomes too troublesome, maybe a week of thread closure is a good idea. I don't have time for this.
Very sad that it has come to this, Jason.
A thoroughly enjoyable thread is being spoiled by a few opinionated morons.
I’ll stay away for a few weeks, as I REALLY don’t want to hear people’s political views, here, or anywhere else for that matter.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #146,585 of 153,242
This is what I’m doing with Saga+ and Vali 3. I think the stepped attenuator sounds better than the pot. YMMV.

Thanks for the validation.

I've generally been at about 3/4 volume on each device and it sounds great, but should one be at max and the other at lower? What's the general consensus here?

I used to do this, but none of my schiit headphone amps hiss with my headphones (in low gain mode). So it makes logical sense to me to take the volume pot out of the equation on one or the other. In one case, I max out the Freya N when connecting to the FV and using the FV volume. Freya is in differential buffer mode. I do the opposite for the Jot2 with Freya in tube buffer mode.

Thanks. Other than a noisy headphone amp at unity gain, I can't see how taking the headphone amp volume pot out of the equation is "bad".

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #146,586 of 153,242
There's nothing common about "common courtesy". Same with common sense. But it sure would be nice if people at least made the effort.

When Covid hit, my then-employer went immediately to "remote-first" and the offices were limited to only those staff that had to be there, mostly reception staff for courier deliveries etc. I've been fully remote since. My new employer has never had a physical office in their ~16 years. We're all based out of our homes. Especially through Covid, I rarely went out to brick-and-mortar stores or drove much except for grocery runs, storm-chasing, and photography excursions. Now that I'm out and about quite a bit more, it seems like there's far less courtesy on the roads, parking lots, in stores, and in the public discourse both online (especially online) and in public. It's real, disturbing, and very discouraging. There is some intentionality behind some of it, but the general whiplash towards the negative compared to the early days of Covid or even before is jarring.

I'm very much looking forward to my eventual retirement to our rural property on Lake Huron's Georgian Bay shore where I can set up my observatory for the dark nights, watch thunderstorms roll in over the lake, listen to my Schiit at all hours whenever I feel like it, and ease into the life of a relative hermit. Freedom 75!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #146,587 of 153,242
Looks like our great state's path will be indeed cloudy. Maybe it's better down in Texas.
Hopefully you New England fellaz will have some clear skies.
The irony is, had we stayed in Wimberley (we moved back up here in early 2022), we’d have been smack on the line of totality, with (in my mind) the best chances of good weather.

Yet, weirdly current forecasts have northern New England with the best chances of clear… but ONLY because we are about (in 6 or so hours) to get a 36 hour Nor’ Easter snowstorm with 12-18” of freaking snow. My theory is that storm’s gonna wring out all the moisture and clouds with its typical “after the storm clear out and dry”…

<shrug>

Everyone must see totality at least once. Most amazing and humbling thing any human can ever experience (perhaps outside of the birth of one’s children; though that is very different).

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #146,588 of 153,242
I've been curious about this kind of chain as well. In my case, it's Freya N (for source switching and remote-controlled volume) feeding a Magni+. I've generally been at about 3/4 volume on each device and it sounds great, but should one be at max and the other at lower? What's the general consensus here?

Edit: Strangely enough, passive mode on the N has become my current favorite for listening with a borrowed pair of Drop HD6XX 'phones, even more than with tubes. There is a certain synergy in this chai that is mesmerizing. 😍

I run my Freya S into an Asgard 2 with the amp pot at max. This subject comes up fairly frequently and I don't remember Jason popping in to say it's a bad idea.

Am I concerned about increased noise with the knob at max? Not at all. My guess is the first thing an audio signal encounters in Schiit head amps is a pot. Its job is to attenuate the input voltage before it gets to the amplifier stage. This means any noise generated by the amp itself will remain constant, not change with volume. I have to say that I'm always awed how dead quiet the setup is when it's in use.

Passive mode on Freya S is my favorite because it sounds so clean. It convinced me to finish a passive stepped preamp project I'd dropped years ago.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #146,589 of 153,242
We have people coming into town to see it here. Hopefully the weather is decent.

4 years ago a kind friend of my wife's offered me access to her hobby farm/canine agility training property. It's in the path of the full eclipse. If we're clouded out, I'll head 5 hours driving east to the property of another canine agility friend of my wife (our 10 year-old Border collie came from one of her beloved dog's litters), who coincidentally is a direct fence-line neighbour of one of the two partners who own the firm that I now work for. Small world.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #146,590 of 153,242
I run an Asgard 3 at the end of Freya+ > SYN > Lokius chain.

Works fine for me!

My exact setup as well (with Freya N + Gumby), and it works very, very well.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #146,592 of 153,242
I enjoyed (immensely) the 2017 Eclipse with a dram of Elmer T Lee Bourbon. The bats suddenly flying overhead did not care one whit for my dram of choice but it was a sublime moment for sure.

I deeply wish I could travel for this eclipse. I simply must see another totality in my lifetime.
From the current forecasts I can see, it is in New England and the Maritimes that will have the best weather for this one. And, the duration this time is significantly longer than 2017. I drove from Massachusetts to Tennessee for that one. Took us 16 hours to get from mid-Tennessee to Hagerstown Maryland on I81 *after* the eclipse, though. Traffic from hell.

I should think you could drive “over” to the parts of Canada that get totality, or is it too far for you @sixergixer ? I’m going to take my Lunt60 HA double stack, and my Canon IS 18x50’s (they have solar filters for them). I’m NOT going to do astrophotography, I’d rather just immerse myself. I will likely have my Nikon Z6 with a 12mm f2.0 recording video wide angler throughout.

But we’ll be “chasing” the gaps in clouds I’m quite certain. I’m bringing my bottle of Midleton reserve… :wink:

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #146,593 of 153,242
I'm hoping right along with you, brother! Once-in-a-lifetime natural events ought never be impeded by, ahem... natural events.
Yeah, I remember back in 2007(? Can’t recall exact year and too lazy to look it up) the Venus transit of the Sun (super rare, like 2 every 140 years or so), was clouded out for me.

One must be sanguine to be interested in things astronomical.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #146,594 of 153,242
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #146,595 of 153,242
Anyone still using an Asgard 2 these days? What does the thing sound like? I'm thinking about finding one on the used market for a secondary setup. After loving the Mjolnir 3 since its release, I think I'd like to pickup it's older and smaller Class A brother.

I used my Asgard 2 with Sundara HPs extensively during the two months I awaited delivery of my Mj3. My initial impression when the Mj3 arrived was that it and the Asgard 2 sounded very similar to each other. The Asgard 2 was run in high gain mode (no feedback) and the Mj2 was run single ended, low gain, no feedback (all switches in the down position). In balanced mode, the Mj3 comes into its own but that's beyond the scope of this comparison.

In short, I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Asgard 2.

:beerchug:
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back