Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #147,121 of 154,490
The switch placement is 100% not juvenile. It's an intentional design choice intended to reduce potential noise in the signal path. More technical folks here can probably explain the reason better. You could always get a smart switch or 3. I have 4 of them in my main stack and delight in calling out: "Alexa! Turn on my Schiit!" when I'm ready to sit down with a good book and great music. My Gungnir Multibit and Magni Piety remain on 24x7.

Edit: Ninja'd again! This time by @Daniel Johnston.
It seems pretty clear to me from watching the Schiiter streams that it is pretty much out of spite at this point. I just put together an Elekit amp and they just ran an arm from the back panel to the front. Just saying that they are limiting their market but they probably could care less.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #147,122 of 154,490
• Astronomical (total) eclipse: small moon (totally) blocks out mammoth sun.
• Schiiclipse: tiny (I mean tiny!) headphone amplifier steps in for, takes the reins of, bigger (I mean bigger!) headphone amplifiers - and does fantastically!
IMG_7760.jpeg
[Vali 3 with: WE 396A / 2C51-JW]

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #147,123 of 154,490
It's not "juvenile"

It's to keep the power supply and related power switch gear away from the audio bits. Jason mentioned it multiple times in his chapters.

As for 12V triggers, I don't think he's addressed that.
Not the impression I get from the Schiit streams. Other companies have found a simple physical connection between the front panel and back power supply.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #147,124 of 154,490
Given that many Schiit products have microprocessors in them, a proprietary link tech named Extended Link Automatic Xanadu would be nice...
I feel an acronym of EXLAX would be more opportune. 😜

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #147,126 of 154,490
The switch placement is 100% not juvenile. It's an intentional design choice intended to reduce potential noise in the signal path. More technical folks here can probably explain the reason better. You could always get a smart switch or 3. I have 4 of them in my main stack and delight in calling out: "Alexa! Turn on my Schiit!" when I'm ready to sit down with a good book and great music. My Gungnir Multibit and Magni Piety remain on 24x7.

Edit: Ninja'd again! This time by @Daniel Johnston.
I’m not sure how smart switches would reduce signal noise but YMMV.

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #147,128 of 154,490
Here it is from the wet coast of BC.

Wet-Coast-Eclipse.jpg

Our sky coating protects us from unwanted solar/lunar phenomena. 🤣
Same in Vancouver, congrats to the others that could view it... I was teaching online anyway. LOL

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #147,129 of 154,490
Here it is from the wet coast of BC.

Our sky coating protects us from unwanted solar/lunar phenomena. 🤣
.... rarely are coasts dry !!! (unless taken over by nudist teetotalers 🤔🤣🤷🏻‍♂️)

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #147,132 of 154,490
Don’t Schiit tube devices, like Freya+, have a mode where tubes are off?
That's their only model that does that; Saga+ doesn't, for example.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #147,133 of 154,490
That's their only model that does that; Saga+ doesn't, for example.
Lyr+ does it too, making Saga+ the only true tube preamp in their current lineup that doesn't, where Lyr+ can be a preamp, like their other headamps. But in truth with the tube headamps I don't think it matters much. I mean you're right there. Not hard to do the ole Schiit Reacharound™️.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #147,134 of 154,490
Gettin' Liggy Wit It.

IMG_7060.jpeg

Wild and occasionally violent in that boisterous 80s and 90s contemporary classical way and performed flawlessly as only an ensemble formed by Pierre Boulez could do it. This isn't even a recommendation per se, as I cannot imagine too many people liking this manner of classical, but the performances, the recording, and especially the solo violin on this later career Violin Concerto are truly stunning. Sometimes ya gotta get bold!

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #147,135 of 154,490
OK, eclipse is over. Time to get some Schiit done.

I’m running NAS based ripped CD digital music files through Audirvana and Qobuz through the app from my new Mac Mini Pro to the Yggdrasil GS2+ /Unison (using USB), MJ3, Meze Empy IIs.

Would I receive material sonic benefit if I bought a Cambridge Audio MXN10 or a WIIM Pro and hooked them up directly to my local network via Ethernet Cat 5? Either would have to go to Yggy with a coax cable or S/PDIF. This rig is only used for my headphne listening. I have some two channel gear in the living room that will need upgrading when I finish my headphone setup.

Thanks for opinions.
Or better still - whack a cd in the tray n press play !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back