Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #150,106 of 152,846
Interesting article I came across this morning, and thought I'd share. While this forum is civil and kept fun, most in my experience aren't, and this article (opinion) really resonated with me.
https://www.headphonesty.com/2024/04/audiophile-snobbery-may-be-killing-our-hobby/

I left the Audiogon forum for this very reason a few months ago. As I was looking at Stereophile's AXPONA coverage this morning and adding up the system cost (several systems north of $500k and two well over a million). Throw in the snobby, obscure music, and YouTube reviewers talking about $25k components and $50k speakers like they are where "Audiophile" starts, and yeah no wonder it is turning off average people and new people. Hence a bunch of well-off, opinionated, old boomers pontificating is helping to diminish the crowd. (For reference median income in the United States is $37,585 annually). I assume many of us (myself included) do earn more than this to support our hobby - at least from the pics some of you post. But we should be welcoming of those who don't to the hobby.

That said, I commend the civility in this forum, and Schiit for producing quality Audiophile-grade stuff for less than a median-year's work. While I have a McIntosh system as well, I must admit my Schiit components are every bit as good - and I even intermingled them with Skoll providing phono-pre duty in the McIntosh system to sound even better! I have heard some of these "High-end" systems, and they are beautiful and sound good but aren't really that much better in my opinion. Though I like him in general, I disagree with Steve G saying there is no such thing as diminishing returns.

My point is if you have the money for a Bugatti and D'Agostino that's awesome! But, it doesn't mean everything else is junk just because it costs less and you get to talk down to everyone else from behind the screen. If someone enjoys their $149 Vali3, that is awesome and valid too. The more people we can encourage to get into this stuff, the more buyers there will be, the more competition, the more innovation, and the more enjoyment for us consumers. So remember - keep it civil.
An interesting article indeed. I do have a Vali 3 on the way which by all accounts I will enjoy. Thanks go out to @adydula for returning loaned 12au7 tubes. He is truly a fine gentleman and took great care of my product. Now I just need a link to where he ordered the tube adapter he used in the Vali 3. :beerchug:

May 2, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #150,107 of 152,846
The factories where I was employed had work instructions, while the distillery has house recipes. That sounds like a helluva lot more fun!
It definitely is! 😀

May 2, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #150,108 of 152,846
May 2, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #150,109 of 152,846
Some may find the books a bit cheesy, but I must mention Stephen Fry's reading of the Harry Potter series..
True indeed. Most of my kids cut their teeth on those Harry Potter audiobooks and my oldest son (about to graduate high school) still listens on an almost nightly basis.

Kate Reading and Michael Kramer do an exceptional job on the original recordings of The Wheel of Time series.

May 2, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #150,110 of 152,846
Her and others enunciation on Cursum Perficio is amazing. (Aside: my boys went to private schooling K-8, and took 3 years of Latin, so I appreciate it - sorta). The deep base on Watermark (title track) was impressive. But for that test, I’m awaiting The Longships, which, alas, will certainly be post 10K milestone…
Speaking of Latin-ish titles...

Turn it up.

May 2, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #150,111 of 152,846
Interesting article I came across this morning, and thought I'd share. While this forum is civil and kept fun, most in my experience aren't, and this article (opinion) really resonated with me.
https://www.headphonesty.com/2024/04/audiophile-snobbery-may-be-killing-our-hobby/

I left the Audiogon forum for this very reason a few months ago. As I was looking at Stereophile's AXPONA coverage this morning and adding up the system cost (several systems north of $500k and two well over a million). Throw in the snobby, obscure music, and YouTube reviewers talking about $25k components and $50k speakers like they are where "Audiophile" starts, and yeah no wonder it is turning off average people and new people. Hence a bunch of well-off, opinionated, old boomers pontificating is helping to diminish the crowd. (For reference median income in the United States is $37,585 annually). I assume many of us (myself included) do earn more than this to support our hobby - at least from the pics some of you post. But we should be welcoming of those who don't to the hobby.

That said, I commend the civility in this forum, and Schiit for producing quality Audiophile-grade stuff for less than a median-year's work. While I have a McIntosh system as well, I must admit my Schiit components are every bit as good - and I even intermingled them with Skoll providing phono-pre duty in the McIntosh system to sound even better! I have heard some of these "High-end" systems, and they are beautiful and sound good but aren't really that much better in my opinion. Though I like him in general, I disagree with Steve G saying there is no such thing as diminishing returns.

My point is if you have the money for a Bugatti and D'Agostino that's awesome! But, it doesn't mean everything else is junk just because it costs less and you get to talk down to everyone else from behind the screen. If someone enjoys their $149 Vali3, that is awesome and valid too. The more people we can encourage to get into this stuff, the more buyers there will be, the more competition, the more innovation, and the more enjoyment for us consumers. So remember - keep it civil.

As the link you quote, all is about music, no matter what system you own. And we make friends not enemies, for those even if they own a million dollars system, if they are friendly instead of staying at the highland and big mouth, thats is fine to me.
People in this forum loves to share a lot of things, from wine to pets and music, not only about gears, if you need some advice, they will pop out and help. And quite a number of them they own different gears from Schiit, they are also very friendly. No one is showing off here but sharing.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #150,112 of 152,846
Hmmm, how many products are this form factor...

Will be listening on this as well. You two should get a commission from Jason for this, you sold 2 Vali 3's!
You forgot one of the reasons we love Schiit, no one in the company has 'sales' in their title or job description.

May 2, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #150,113 of 152,846

Thank you for the article ... I did comment on it
IMG_7981.jpeg

May 2, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #150,114 of 152,846
You forgot one of the reasons we love Schiit, no one in the company has 'sales' in their title or job description.
Or, in other words, everyone at Schiit are very helpful. we love them. Position or title is nothing if it doesn't work between the company and customers.

May 2, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #150,115 of 152,846
Speaking of Latin-ish titles...

Turn it up.

"It’s a common a place for music fans to consider 1970 “Black Sabbath” the first Metal album (and indeed in all justice one of the first metal references in music history), but you need to go a bit back to give proper credit to the birth of Metal. In 1965 The Kinks heavy distorted opening riff of “You Really Got Me” paved the way to the guitar and music experiments that would shape the second half of the 60’s and the next decade, and though we had “Are You Experienced?” by The Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1967 pioneering the metal years ahead, it wasn’t really until San Francisco band Blue Cheer released their debut “Vincebus Eruptum” that the world got a sample taste of Metal. Jim Morrison of The Doors referred to them as “the loudest band I ever have seen” after attending one of their shows, and to this day the sonic loudness of Blue Cheer’s debut album still echoes. This album it’s a cross between Acid Rock and what would later be called Heavy Metal, the opening track, Eddie Cochran’s “Summertime Blues”, already a Rock N’ Roll classic by then gives you no doubt about what this band was about and what was about to follow through the rest of the album. Fearlessly loud and noisy, using the power trio shape, bass, guitar and drums, Blue Cheer’s sonic adventures takes off discretely during the Psychedelic years but their music goes beyond it. Dickie Peterson on vocals and bass, Leigh Stephens on guitar and Paul Whaley on drums delivers an innovation to this classic formula that produces songs such as their original “Doctor Please”, Mose Allison’s “Parchment Farm”, B.B King’s “Rock Me Baby” almost unrecognizable in the form in which it’s presented, the two band originals “Second Time Around” and “Out of Focus”. It is a short album that leaves you wanting for more. In 1969 Led Zeppelin would release their debut and in 1970 Black Sabbath too, but by then, Blue Cheer had moved on from their heavy rock to standard blues rock. Their first two albums remain their signature and essential to understanding the history of Rock music. In sum, this is one of the best rock albums of all time, as relevant and important to Metal as “Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band” is to Pop."
David Warren

May 2, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #150,116 of 152,846
I have been enjoying reading your bachelor fun time for the last several days, listening through an Iggy. I definitely have dog pics, and drink pics to share. But I have an audio question. Lol! I listen to digital through a digital audio player. I have a Ponon and a FiiO. Would the Iggy make this sound better?
Thanks for the entertainment.
Kyle
I honestly don’t have a clue whatsoever… I know nothing about Digital Audio Players (or even what they are - LOL) and no experience of Ponon or FiiO… sorry

What I *can* say is that any PCM source that can generate a digital bit stream as good as a decent CD transport… will be taken to another level by going through Yggy. For me, today, that is solely classic red book CD’s. It is all I have.

But, Yggy is so impressing me in that realm, that I’m now finally likely to get into some type of streaming, because everyone else WITH that experience says that Yggy does it’s magics there as well…

HTH

May 2, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #150,118 of 152,846

Very interesting article - thanks for sharing! One thing that I've noticed is that when I attend a regular hifi show I am one of the younger attendees, but when I attend CanJam I am one of the older attendees. I prefer the CanJam scene - there's a lot more energy and enthusiasm.

May 2, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #150,119 of 152,846
"It’s a common a place for music fans to consider 1970 “Black Sabbath” the first Metal album (and indeed in all justice one of the first metal references in music history), but you need to go a bit back to give proper credit to the birth of Metal. In 1965 The Kinks heavy distorted opening riff of “You Really Got Me” paved the way to the guitar and music experiments that would shape the second half of the 60’s and the next decade, and though we had “Are You Experienced?” by The Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1967 pioneering the metal years ahead, it wasn’t really until San Francisco band Blue Cheer released their debut “Vincebus Eruptum” that the world got a sample taste of Metal. Jim Morrison of The Doors referred to them as “the loudest band I ever have seen” after attending one of their shows, and to this day the sonic loudness of Blue Cheer’s debut album still echoes. This album it’s a cross between Acid Rock and what would later be called Heavy Metal, the opening track, Eddie Cochran’s “Summertime Blues”, already a Rock N’ Roll classic by then gives you no doubt about what this band was about and what was about to follow through the rest of the album. Fearlessly loud and noisy, using the power trio shape, bass, guitar and drums, Blue Cheer’s sonic adventures takes off discretely during the Psychedelic years but their music goes beyond it. Dickie Peterson on vocals and bass, Leigh Stephens on guitar and Paul Whaley on drums delivers an innovation to this classic formula that produces songs such as their original “Doctor Please”, Mose Allison’s “Parchment Farm”, B.B King’s “Rock Me Baby” almost unrecognizable in the form in which it’s presented, the two band originals “Second Time Around” and “Out of Focus”. It is a short album that leaves you wanting for more. In 1969 Led Zeppelin would release their debut and in 1970 Black Sabbath too, but by then, Blue Cheer had moved on from their heavy rock to standard blues rock. Their first two albums remain their signature and essential to understanding the history of Rock music. In sum, this is one of the best rock albums of all time, as relevant and important to Metal as “Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band” is to Pop."
David Warren
... Leigh Stephens at times used eleven Marshall double-stacks. In a Rolling Stone interview, his reply to a question on tuning up was "by vibration". 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 2, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #150,120 of 152,846
An interesting article indeed. I do have a Vali 3 on the way which by all accounts I will enjoy. Thanks go out to @adydula for returning loaned 12au7 tubes. He is truly a fine gentleman and took great care of my product. Now I just need a link to where he ordered the tube adapter he used in the Vali 3. :beerchug:
IMG_7982.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back