Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #150,271 of 153,306
I'm going to re-ask this question here, for greater applicability.

Fan noise aside, (and maybe switch power supply), should I be concerned with having a fan very near an audio component?
Those rotating magnetic and electric fields would/could theoretically disturb the path of my happy electrons and make them grumpy?

May 3, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #150,272 of 153,306
Mostly just wondering how Qobuz works with it, as that's why I would buy one.

I have an older PC of mine that I've repurposed for use as a digital media player and more recently to play Qobuz via wifi, but it's very old and doesn't like to come out of sleep. So, that's gotten annoying enough that I'm looking into a newer alternative.
To be honest, I'm not in love with the BlueOS app especially when it comes to interacting with Qobuz. I do use Qobuz but I use the Roon interface.

When/if Qobuz releases "Qobuz Connect" I think the Node would be a good solution for you.

May 3, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #150,273 of 153,306
Thanks, my initial research had put that on the list. So it’d be a “streamer” and then a “service” (e.g. Qobux, Roon, etc.)? Anything else?

I'll second SoTM Neo 200 as a very nice, uncomplicated, reliable streamer. You can get them on sale for less than $400.

You seem to be a DIY kinda guy. You can build a Raspberry Pi streamer for pretty inexpensive. There's a couple good freebie streaming software/firmwares available. I used Ropiee with success.

Roon is well worth the investment if you are willing to rip your existing CD collection to a server and tie it into a streaming service such as Qobuz.

May 3, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #150,274 of 153,306
Any/all Schiit heads are more than welcome to visit for a listening session; just shout
Is that a pull-out sleeper sofa? I'm thinking something a little bit more long-term. :smirk:

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #150,276 of 153,306
Have never tried it. Will put on the to-do list.
I have confirmed all details of my mini rack build so now it is time to crank up some tunes in my shop and get busy. I have not listened to much Chris Rea so I will check him out on Qobuz. As always I am open to music suggestions.🤪

May 3, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #150,277 of 153,306
Mostly just wondering how Qobuz works with it, as that's why I would buy one.

I have an older PC of mine that I've repurposed for use as a digital media player and more recently to play Qobuz via wifi, but it's very old and doesn't like to come out of sleep. So, that's gotten annoying enough that I'm looking into a newer alternative.
As you get older and older, sleeping becomes more and more enjoyable. @Paladin79 can provide further detail if needed. 🤣 🤣

May 3, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #150,278 of 153,306
Fan noise aside, (and maybe switch power supply), should I be concerned with having a fan very near an audio component?
Those rotating magnetic and electric fields would/could theoretically disturb the path of my happy electrons and make them grumpy?
My experience is that having a cheap motor on the same circuit (which could be far away) is much worse than merely having the motor near a device.

May 3, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #150,279 of 153,306
I'm going to re-ask this question here, for greater applicability.

The ring magnet of the brushless motor is not that harmful, if you are aware of it, place it further away, a slow turning fan pulling heat upwards is enough to bring the heat away (MJ3, your concern)

May 3, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #150,280 of 153,306
As you get older and older, sleeping becomes more and more enjoyable. @Paladin79 can provide further detail if needed. 🤣 🤣
I am starting to get too old to build with tiger maple anymore, well at least for those living in Oklahoma.😁

Absolutely loving the music of Chris Rea as I build, I love jazz but prefer something more like this as background music as I build. I have very little invested in my shop system but it is a total joy to hear. Solid state with tube characteristics by Bob Carver.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #150,281 of 153,306
I have confirmed all details of my mini rack build so now it is time to crank up some tunes in my shop and get busy. I have not listened to much Chris Rea so I will check him out on Qobuz. As always I am open to music suggestions.🤪

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 23.28.24.png

May 3, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #150,282 of 153,306
  • Muzo Cobblestone (which is why I would never even, for a moment, consider a Wiim). I could send you one or more to try :wink:
Well, the Muzo and WiiM both had/have PCBs made by LinkPlay, albeit several years apart. But that's about all there is in common.

As an analogy, that would be like saying because Toyota once made this monstrosity:

1991-toyota-previa-order_242-via-wikimedia-commons.jpg

...someone should never even consider, much less purchase one of these:

RPV_MY22_0002_V001_vySH6vK8e8mWzlC6xg.png

Muzo and WiiM are very, very different products. Night and day, one could say.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #150,283 of 153,306
Well, the Muzo and WiiM both had/have PCBs made by LinkPlay, albeit several years apart. But that's about all there is in common.

As an analogy, that would be like saying because Toyota once made this monstrosity:

1991-toyota-previa-order_242-via-wikimedia-commons.jpg

...someone should never even consider, much less purchase one of these:

RPV_MY22_0002_V001_vySH6vK8e8mWzlC6xg.png

Muzo and WiiM are very, very different products. Night and day, one could say.
The white one is sleepy, the red one is angry .....

May 3, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #150,284 of 153,306
That is not entirely correct. Muzo and WiiM are both LinkPlay brands. Their products are essentially made by the same folks, often with shared components and software libraries.
(For legal reasons, I'm not implying that there'd be anything wrong with that.)

May 3, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #150,285 of 153,306
Many streamers come with their own software/remote and many of those suck so it's more than just a hardware question. Which is why Schiit doesn't make a streamer and don't ask them to.
Oh dear, please don't. Although, if anyone could figure out how to make a streamer that doesn't suck, it might as well be them…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back