Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #150,287 of 152,726
To be honest, I'm not in love with the BlueOS app especially when it comes to interacting with Qobuz. I do use Qobuz but I use the Roon interface.

When/if Qobuz releases "Qobuz Connect" I think the Node would be a good solution for you.
Given this reply, @earnmyturns how's Qobuz on the Zen Stream?

May 3, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #150,288 of 152,726
Oh dear, please don't. Although, if anyone could figure out how to make a streamer that doesn't suck, it might as well be them…
Someone, please do! I want to see ACP totally lose it!! :D

May 3, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #150,289 of 152,726
Are you guys listening to internet radio too?

May 3, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #150,290 of 152,726
Someone, please do! I want to see ACP totally lose it!! :D

Oh dear, please don't. Although, if anyone could figure out how to make a streamer that doesn't suck, it might as well be them…

To be honest, I would be happy with a streamer that just sucked less...

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #150,291 of 152,726
Any expertise with a Bluesound Node? I was eying one of those until you posted this...
I picked a Cambridge MXN10 over the Node. Typically better sound quality (users often report a more veiled sound from many Bluesound products), it is Roon Ready, and was a bit cheaper when I bought it, though now it looks like the standard Node has dropped in price with the release of the better Node X. So, for me it was the Cambridge, and unless one really needs the multi-room streaming capability of the Node, it still gets my nod.

WiiM is great, I just didn't trust the longevity of the brand at that point well over a year ago. Now it seems they're really here to stay, but I think I'd still choose the MXN10 were I making the decision today. :)

May 3, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #150,292 of 152,726
I'll second SoTM Neo 200 as a very nice, uncomplicated, reliable streamer. You can get them on sale for less than $400.

You seem to be a DIY kinda guy. You can build a Raspberry Pi streamer for pretty inexpensive. There's a couple good freebie streaming software/firmwares available. I used Ropiee with success.

Roon is well worth the investment if you are willing to rip your existing CD collection to a server and tie it into a streaming service such as Qobuz.

First thanks to all for all the info; I think it’s penetrating this thick old boomer skull…
1. I could do the build Rasp. Pi thing, but I do not want a computer in my living/listening room. I deal with software almost 24x7 now, and don’t want anymore - LOL
2. My CD collection isn’t sufficiently large that I feel the need to spend all that time ripping them, and then if/when I did (see #1 above) I don’t want to have another “server” environment to maintain.
3. Sounds like given that I have NO ripped/stored media of my own I wouldn’t need Roon. (Does Roon work with ripped content if the source happened to be LP? Because THAT might be something I could get into (having 2000 LPs). Never bothered to digitize them (I have the zPhono USB) as never had the time. THAT might be worth having a private music server!
4. I can easily run Ethernet cable from my router to the cabinet with my other gear
5. I prefer as close to small, quality, “just a box/appliance” as possible, so the Ifi looks quite attractive in that regard

So a streaming device (like he SoTM Neo or Ifi Zen) + a subscription to a service (e.g. Qobuz or other) - is that literally all I need? I want something I can easily teach my techno-phobic-ignorant wife about; I don’t want yet another “system” I have to “maintain”…. If any of that makes sense?

May 3, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #150,293 of 152,726
May 3, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #150,294 of 152,726
May 3, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #150,295 of 152,726
Any update from anyone on this thread re a new preamp (Saga S type) for RCA users? I see Jason posted about lack of direction on this in January - has anything been decided? I think for a lot of us smaller amp users, the lack of a multi-input preamp is a a pain/stumbling block...! Nor do the Chinese manufacturers seem interested in doing anything in this category that's non-tube...

May 3, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #150,296 of 152,726
I'm pretty sure if you search a bit, you will find Jason mentioning recently that there will be a Saga replacement -- and there will be some surprises with its introduction. I believe he stated that it would also have a HP out built-in ala Kara. :wink:

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #150,297 of 152,726
First thanks to all for all the info; I think it’s penetrating this thick old boomer skull…
1. I could do the build Rasp. Pi thing, but I do not want a computer in my living/listening room. I deal with software almost 24x7 now, and don’t want anymore - LOL
2. My CD collection isn’t sufficiently large that I feel the need to spend all that time ripping them, and then if/when I did (see #1 above) I don’t want to have another “server” environment to maintain.
3. Sounds like given that I have NO ripped/stored media of my own I wouldn’t need Roon. (Does Roon work with ripped content if the source happened to be LP? Because THAT might be something I could get into (having 2000 LPs). Never bothered to digitize them (I have the zPhono USB) as never had the time. THAT might be worth having a private music server!
4. I can easily run Ethernet cable from my router to the cabinet with my other gear
5. I prefer as close to small, quality, “just a box/appliance” as possible, so the Ifi looks quite attractive in that regard

So a streaming device (like he SoTM Neo or Ifi Zen) + a subscription to a service (e.g. Qobuz or other) - is that literally all I need? I want something I can easily teach my techno-phobic-ignorant wife about; I don’t want yet another “system” I have to “maintain”…. If any of that makes sense?
I don't use Roon as I don't figure the management of my library of audio files is yet worth the expense of a Roon subscription - just not necessary for me at this point - but Roon should be able to handle virtually any files you hand to it, doesn't matter the source; ripped CDs or vinyl, or purchased online downloads.

For a small form factor, well constructed, high quality box streamer, look at the Cambridge MXN10 I mentioned a few comments above. It's a great little device with awesome sound quality. Qobuz integration in Cambridge's StreamMagic app is mostly very good. It's just a groovy little plug'n'play device, and quite affordable, too.

May 3, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #150,298 of 152,726

Roon is fairly agnostic when it comes to file types. You could digitize your LPs to FLAC/WAV/AIFF whatever and Roon would play them just fine. You would, however, need to spend some time getting the metadata correct on your files which would be a fairly significant undertaking. The metadata on CDs is recognized by most CD ripping software and is not as much of a chore. As always, YMMV.

Edit - Ninja'd by @sixergixer :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #150,299 of 152,726
My streamer is either an iPhone SE or an iPad 9 (the last one with lightning connector), Music streaming service is Apple Music, not excellent, but not sucks.... I made it simple to use, I do not want to turn on few device for streaming music, I only need to switch on the Schiit amp and the Modi Multibit 2 dac, call me lazy and stubborn ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back