Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #150,511 of 152,721
Great looking setup, and cat.😉
Thanks, truly did miss them! 🙂

Just before leaving town I remounted the DL-103 on a wood headshell, did a bit better job with alignment this time around, and got the loading really dialed in with the help of Skoll, and wow!

bcowen was right about this cart. Phat and juicy indeed.

May 4, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #150,512 of 152,721
I only work with Roman numerals and it is a pain remembering numbers like 68, duodeseptuaginta, two from seventy.🤪

Leave me alone I have important people to build for, currently I am selecting the most perfect RCA connectors.🤪
IMG_7868.jpegIMG_7867.jpeg
Maybe just me, but IME they almost always sound better with wires coming out of them. YMMV, of course. 🤣

May 4, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #150,513 of 152,721
That is nice, my personal favorites are locking banana plugs, Blue Jeans Cable builds with a lot of them and they even sell those individually as I recall. Gold does not tarnish so I tend to use gold plated connectors. I have also used some locking RCA's that work very well. I have run more tests than I like to think about with cables and connectors and on rare occasion I have found people who can hear a difference between pieces of wire, but I have never had that happen with connectors. Just my two cents. :ksc75smile:
A tight, clean connector with good conductor is enough ~~

May 4, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #150,514 of 152,721
Maybe just me, but IME they almost always sound better with wires coming out of them. YMMV, of course. 🤣
He is doing something like beauty contest ..... find the set which looks prettiest ~

May 4, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #150,516 of 152,721
All things in time :ksc75smile: Until I get the mini shelves assembled I will not work on cable bend radius. I wish I had more RCA selections but I am working with what I happen to have. :beerchug:

May 4, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #150,517 of 152,721
My people used thousands of them with great success. I have no problem using most any Neutrik related connector. These are my personal favorites but at $10 per connector I only use them for specific builds, I can no longer buy them wholesale so I do not keep a big personal stock.

The cable here is Cowen green.🤪
Actually, below is Cowen green. I've found it sounds significantly better than the shade of green you're showing. 🤣🤣

And to think I almost chose purple before you called dibs on that color. I'd likely never know what I'd been missing. 🤣

Nuclear Green.jpg

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #150,518 of 152,721
Lots of great impressions for Eversolo streamers out there. Darko audio has a nice comparison with the Fiio. Good place to dive in. My brother got the entry level unit Eversolo A6, and he is running the digital out to a Weiss 204, through Mastersound tube gear to Verity Audio speakers. Extremely high resolving system. He is very satisfied with the Eversolo as the digital outs bypass the internal dsp and dac. The interface is what is key about the unit, the software app is fantastic in his words. Maybe you have a dealer close by? Other streamers get good feedback, and feature sets vary widely in some cases. I think minimum fuss is worth every penny you put into it, over the long haul. I will be checking his streamer out in detail in July.

I've been streaming Qobuz to my Yggy, either through JRiver (clunky as hell for Qobuz as they don't support the service) or straight off the pc via wasapi. Looking for the final solution just as you are. The higher priced Qobuz tier has nice purchase discounts.

I think Tidal also sounds good, but last I checked a couple years ago it was weighted a bit more to rap and hip hop, where Qobuz had a bit more classical and Jazz. Both have holes in their catalogues, but plenty to enjoy as well. Ymmv.

/Waffle
It is fascinating to me (as an engineer) that there are no proper standards, such that any service would be supporter by a streamer, and vice versa. Reminds me of my really old, mono, Harmon Kardon Tube Integrated (pass down from mom and dad when they first upgraded to stereo in around 1970 or so…) it had those multiple different phono equalizations beyond just RIAA, which became THE standard.

No freaking wonder Jason won’t ever do a streamer; it’s chasing the dragon’s tail apparently. How’s Qobuz for Rock (incl. progressive)?

May 4, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #150,519 of 152,721
My people used thousands of them with great success. I have no problem using most any Neutrik related connector. These are my personal favorites but at $10 per connector I only use them for specific builds, I can no longer buy them wholesale so I do not keep a big personal stock.IMG_7869.jpeg

The cable here is Cowen green.🤪
Nice of you to build for Bill.

May 4, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #150,520 of 152,721
Ok you found a streamer where only the prices sucks, what is it? I want to try it.
I know that Schiit doesn't make a streamer, and never will, but I am generally reluctant to name another hi-fi equipment manufacturer here in Jason's forum... but you can find it in my spoiler. :sunglasses: PM me anytime if you want more info!

May 4, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #150,521 of 152,721
It is fascinating to me (as an engineer) that there are no proper standards, such that any service would be supporter by a streamer, and vice versa. Reminds me of my really old, mono, Harmon Kardon Tube Integrated (pass down from mom and dad when they first upgraded to stereo in around 1970 or so…) it had those multiple different phono equalizations beyond just RIAA, which became THE standard.

No freaking wonder Jason won’t ever do a streamer; it’s chasing the dragon’s tail apparently. How’s Qobuz for Rock (incl. progressive)?
As far as selections I preferred Tidal but Qobuz is getting there. For SQ it is Qobuz for me.

May 4, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #150,522 of 152,721
The Zen Stream isn't based upon a RPi. It's a different small board computer. If it was based on a RPi, someone would have got Ropieee or DietPi to work on it, which would actually make it a more stable device.
I stand corrected. I knew that Zen Stream is based on Volumio (even iFi says so), and I had assumed it was an RPi inside).

May 4, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #150,523 of 152,721
May 4, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #150,525 of 152,721

Users who are viewing this thread

Back