Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 4, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #150,556 of 152,720
Damned rain...

I was going to wash both cars today, because they are so filthy that I'm starting to think that they will never be clean again.
I applaud the fact that brake pads are 100% sacrificial, but... omg can't somebody make them silver, so that their dust matches the wheel color?!?
Then it rained, and it rained some more, and... even though it's stopped for now, hmmm. Not sure what this afternoon brings.

So, instead, I swapped Yggies - OG A2 is back downstairs, and MiB is now in the office system.

Holy schiit...

(more to come)

May 4, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #150,557 of 152,720
Why I ask you guys about internet radio? remember the old days if there is a chance we can phone in and ask the DJ to play a song for us... Today we have streaming radio, and music service, so we can enjoy some ad hoc music from internet radio, or search some music you like from the music streaming service library or your own library, Apple music provides that and you can upload your ripped CD just by playing it at the Mac computer (or any sound file) to your personal iCloud music library so you can play it at anytime you want, thats why I selected Apple Music, may be I am not only lazy and stubborn, but old fashioned too .....
Less is moooore ....

Sound quality of Apple Music? Modi Multibit 2 proves it is very good.

YMMV

I listen to three local FM stations here in Calgary. CKUA-FM, CJSW-FM & CBC Radio 1 Calgary. All have their own app, or are accessible through Tune-In. In the car or at home I listen OTA to the radio waves, when walking the dog or in the tub I listen over cell.

CKUA (listener supported, similar to PBS) and CJSW (University of Calgary student radio) are my music discovery algorithms and you can make requests (by phone or from anywhere using the net). CBC is news and talk entertainment, no requests.

Is sound good quality? Too many variables, between the HD6XX headphones, Apple AirPods, big rig speakers, Google thing, and LIAR. Except with the Google thing sound quality is never why I turn it off.

Would the digital stream sound better through a Yggy? Probably, but considering most internet radio is super compressed, not worth the money if that was your only source.

I recommend CKUA, btw. Oscar Petersen had a jazz show there!

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #150,558 of 152,720
May 4, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #150,559 of 152,720
This Kuniko album is a fantastic listen!!! Extremely enjoyable and fun. I really appreciate all of the subtle nuances of her playing. Stellar recommendation!
Different moods, a composer I did not know, same artistry:

RoonShareImage-638504298232573070.png

May 4, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #150,560 of 152,720
Damned rain...

I was going to wash both cars today, because they are so filthy that I'm starting to think that they will never be clean again.
I applaud the fact that brake pads are 100% sacrificial, but... omg can't somebody make them silver, so that their dust matches the wheel color?!?
Then it rained, and it rained some more, and... even though it's stopped for now, hmmm. Not sure what this afternoon brings.

So, instead, I swapped Yggies - OG A2 is back downstairs, and MiB is now in the office system.

Holy schiit...

(more to come)
Still raining in the Peninsula, but not for much longer according to the forecast and radar.

May 4, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #150,563 of 152,720
IMG_7873.jpegIMG_7874.jpeg

Just enough flex and bend. I liked the idea of using shorter body connectors with springs so the bend could begin earlier. Neglex 2549 cable by Mogami, a favorite.

Beautiful handiwork, and great looking cables. I need to make a note to find some shorter cables like these that look good so I can reduce the spaghetti behind my 2 main stacks.

May 4, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #150,564 of 152,720
Are wall warts on the sine wave? How many of you keep the wall wart when the accompanying appliance is tossed? I do, and now have a large box full of them. Never before has any wall wart exited the box to have a second life, but recently my daughter’s musical keyboard suffered a wall wart failure. I was stunned at the cheapness of the wall wart, since the actual instrument is expensive and well respected. The wires are extremely thin, and obviously failed where they exited the wart. I found a beautiful castoff inline power supply from either a printer or a laptop, it was the correct voltage and capable of providing three times the current. Plug size and polarity were drop in perfect. A win!

May 4, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #150,565 of 152,720
That's why I never throw...

wall warts, power cords, cables, boxes, etc ANYTHING away!

😁

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #150,566 of 152,720
I have a Simple Minds Live cd mastered by Nimbus, from sometime in the 80's. (I think the labels back then were clutching at straws trying to keep up with cd demand.) It sounds smooth and slick compared to other copies, by other companies which sounded dry and rough by comparison including the vinyl pressings.

Nimbus designed and built their own proprietary CD cutting lathes. Our lathes could cut the glass masters at 1X speed. Many labels felt our CDs sounded better as a result. We used to press for many of the audiophile labels. I ran those cutting lathes for about 8 years, before transferring to the audio department. Then, it was always nice to get to listen to those test press runs...! 🤗

May 4, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #150,567 of 152,720
For example, this is an amazing sounding reissue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essential_Heart
But I cant find it in Qobuz. Good thing I ripped a cd. Most of that Sony/BMG The Essential series is ear candy but it is hit or miss on streaming services.
Not only Qobuz, but it isn't on any of the streaming services — Sony hasn't released the album for streaming. However, the original album was a compilation of tracks that had been previously released. You may be able to assemble an equivalent Qobuz playlist that includes most of the content, using tracks from other Heart albums.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #150,568 of 152,720
Wow leave for a day and you guys are touting the number of years married!!
LOL!

I will be 54 this June 6th! Married young...still together after all these years...hmmm is there a song there??

Notice the "Hot Rod!"...JHS NOS Sylvania 5963, Round Halo Getter Green Label. Matched pair. Sounds decent in Vali 3.
Those blurry PURPLE cables were made by the master himself!! @Paladin79 . Purple is my favorite!

Alex
1714863367518.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #150,569 of 152,720
Are wall warts on the sine wave? How many of you keep the wall wart when the accompanying appliance is tossed? I do, and now have a large box full of them. Never before has any wall wart exited the box to have a second life, but recently my daughter’s musical keyboard suffered a wall wart failure. I was stunned at the cheapness of the wall wart, since the actual instrument is expensive and well respected. The wires are extremely thin, and obviously failed where they exited the wart. I found a beautiful castoff inline power supply from either a printer or a laptop, it was the correct voltage and capable of providing three times the current. Plug size and polarity were drop in perfect. A win!

May 4, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #150,570 of 152,720
I met my wife in a Hobbit room, reading Lord of the Rings was very big prior to the movies. It was part of a coffee house scene where musicians, artists, and a specific generation hung out. And yes Bill this was after the Beat Generation.🤪
Yeah ... Annette had already done The Rocky Horror Picture Show, so thankfully that was out of the way. We still watch it occasionally. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back