Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #150,616 of 153,032
Qobuz native on WiiM Pro > coax to Yggy+ OG > Kara > Tyr > large Magneplanars.

The SQ difference between this and the CD is nill.

IMG_9503.jpeg
Does your Wiim Pro get fed its signal from WiFi or Ethernet hard wire? Thinking of the Wiim Pro.

May 5, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #150,617 of 153,032
I have a looong way to go compared to the OG here (on all counts) but FWIW I hit 52 years last July. Like @Paladin79 I married not long after college. Sometimes a long hard road but I honestly think she kept me out of prison. (And bless her, she doesn’t give a Schiit about what I buy for audio)

May 5, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #150,618 of 153,032
Does your Wiim Pro get fed its signal from WiFi or Ethernet hard wire? Thinking of the Wiim Pro.
I may get a Wiim Pro just to see if it is an improvement over my Qobuz computer setup. Worst case I use it in my shop and free up an IPad Pro.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #150,619 of 153,032
Exactly. And we hold these ginormous companies up as innovators when so much of what they’re doing well relies on those standards.

MS is no saint here either. Their innovation of app services for containers is an extremely buggy imitation of what the open standard of kubernetes does more reliably. As soon as the company I work for switched from app services to AKS (kubernetes-based, so less of MS’s DNA in it), everything became much more stable and resilient.
Kind of like saying Glossu Rabban was no saint either. :p

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #150,620 of 153,032
I like Heart too, and I'm happy you've discovered them. But they are not exactly prog... if you want prog, listen to Strawbs, Soft Machine, Camel, Budgie, Gentle Giant, King Crimson. Gong... even Genesis, Yes, ELP, some Kansas..... and newer stuff like Porcupine Tree or Marillion or Dream Theater. Some people insist that Rush, Pink Floyd and Tool are prog, but they don't fall into that category for me. To each his own!
Count me as one of those whom believe strongly that PF, Rush (3rd album up through Moving Pictures anyways), and Tool are very much prog. I agree with all your list, and would add Eno, Fripp, The The/Matt Johnson... it’s fun to do a “follow” artist approach, e.g. Lake from King Crimson to ELP, or the many works of Robert Fripp (especially those where he joins Eno). Supertramp was “light” prog, IMO…

I kinda think that Yes, and Rush got less and less proggie over time, in particular (again to me) I really thought Yes had almost sold out by 90125…

My “curse” was I got to see PF, an Heart, and LZ, and Genesis, and Rush live… in the case of PF and Rush many times… Great Prog and Rock were the music of my youth…

May 5, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #150,621 of 153,032
Audiophiles: the shortest signal path is the best, we don't want the signal to be degraded.

Meanwhile: Roon server > Roon endpoint> DAC > headphone amp

This hobby amazes me everyday:smile:
Even more amazing that anyone tries to apply intuitions from the analog domain to digital :grin:

May 5, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #150,623 of 153,032
I have two WiiM Pros, both running off Ethernet. One is upstairs and would have great WiFi, but Ethernet was handy. In the basement, particularly the little alcove where my electronics workbench sits, WiFi is pretty weak.

WiiM Pro wins over RasPi/Volumio for me because Volumio requires a subscription for advanced features that WiiM includes.

WiiM's app needs improvement, in my opinion. I can't navigate to a folder containing a multi-disc album and play in disc>song order. It wants to play disc1-song1, disc2-song1, disc3-song1, disc1-song2, etc. A playlist of the folder in correct sequence would halt after about 14 songs. Makes it difficult to follow a concept album. Maybe it's changed by now. I've found BubbleUPnP works better for selecting and playing music, yet the WiiM app is necessary for managing the hardware.

In spite of the frustration of maintaining two apps for one device, I still prefer the WiiM.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #150,624 of 153,032
I may get a Wiim Pro just to see if it is an improvement over my Qobuz computer setup. Worst case I use it in my shop and free up an IPad Pro.
I was going iOS devices straight to DAC before going all-in on Wiim. The biggest advantage (not just that they have a great app that integrates tons of streaming sources) is that you can also play local files off a home media server that supports DLNA. I’ve been purchasing more digital and physical media to support my favorite artists, so it’s nice being able to play these in the highest quality formats (especially if the internet ever goes out!).

And if you happen to have speakers throughout the house, you can use Wiim minis to stream to specific rooms or tie them all together for “party mode” (as I call it!).

May 5, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #150,625 of 153,032
I have two WiiM Pros, both running off Ethernet. One is upstairs and would have great WiFi, but Ethernet was handy. In the basement, particularly the little alcove where my electronics workbench sits, WiFi is pretty weak.

WiiM Pro wins over RasPi/Volumio for me because Volumio requires a subscription for advanced features that WiiM includes.

WiiM's app needs improvement, in my opinion. I can't navigate to a folder containing a multi-disc album and play in disc>song order. It wants to play disc1-song1, disc2-song1, disc3-song1, disc1-song2, etc. A playlist of the folder in correct sequence would halt after about 14 songs. Makes it difficult to follow a concept album. Maybe it's changed by now. I've found BubbleUPnP works better for selecting and playing music, yet the WiiM app is necessary for managing the hardware.

In spite of the frustration of maintaining two apps for one device, I still prefer the WiiM.
Great info, thanks!

May 5, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #150,628 of 153,032
I was going iOS devices straight to DAC before going all-in on Wiim. The biggest advantage (not just that they have a great app that integrates tons of streaming sources) is that you can also play local files off a home media server that supports DLNA. I’ve been purchasing more digital and physical media to support my favorite artists, so it’s nice being able to play these in the highest quality formats (especially if the internet ever goes out!).

And if you happen to have speakers throughout the house, you can use Wiim minis to stream to specific rooms or tie them all together for “party mode” (as I call it!).
Could you notice any difference in SQ when going from iOS devices compared to Wiim? Naturally I would go from digital out directly to Schiit DACs.

May 5, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #150,629 of 153,032
you might want to wait, the Wiim Ultra comes out May 9th.
I shall do that! Such great info this morn.

By the way my thanks go out to a gentleman who is sending me a WE 396 for my Vali 3. He may well make it here to visit my humble shop, meet Finnegan, and hear my audio gear.🤪

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back