Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #150,661 of 152,914
DAC's I might place into my system at times are:
Holo Audio May KTE
Yggy + OG
Aqua La Voce
Doge Seven
PrimaLuna EVO 100

I have access to maybe five others but above are some of my favorites.

I rarely swap out speakers because of their size and weight but I have access to many.
My main power amps are
PrimaLuna
Cary
the Cowen (my design and build) I had another name for it but I do not recall lol
and Carver TFM 45

Turntables include
Hitachi PS 58
Pro-Ject (modified)
Eventually a Thorens and a Rek O Kut

Various pre-amps and phono pre amps etc.

Headphone amps, maybe seven or eight at this point in time. Headphones include Focal Utopia, OPPO PM 1's, Mr Speakers Mad Dog's or whatever they were called, I forget. Alpha Prime.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #150,663 of 152,914
May 5, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #150,664 of 152,914
Without those ginormous companies, there would be no standards. That's not to say that they came to that conclusion willingly. But they did provide the resources to make most of it happen.
You can thank the original BISON conglomeration of small European computer companies for forcing that to happen in the eighties. But again, they did that out of self-interest, not magnanimity. And look where that got them, not one of them survives today.

Cheers
In some cases that's true but not all. The standards that allowed the internet to flourish came largely from DARPA (taxpayer money) and universities.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #150,665 of 152,914
Check out Small Green Computer.
That looks like a nice option, but for the price it would be nice to not have to rely on a monthly subscription to Roon.

Heck most smart TVs now can connect to NAS products that support DLNA (like Synology) to play media. Going to be hard to compete with products like the Wiim mini at that price point.

May 5, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #150,666 of 152,914
That looks like a nice option, but for the price it would be nice to not have to rely on a monthly subscription to Roon.

Heck most smart TVs now can connect to NAS products that support DLNA (like Synology) to play media. Going to be hard to compete with products like the Wiim mini at that price point.
You do not have to use ROON to use the SonicOrbiter infrastructure, although I do and find the lifetime subscription I bought years ago to be one of the best purchases I've made in audio. Sonore servers also work with DLNA, Samba and Squeezebox.

May 5, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #150,667 of 152,914
To piggyback on @Ableza’s comment above I also feel that my purchase of a lifetime Roon subscription is one of my best audio purchases. It isn’t for everyone, but for those of us who enjoy streaming audio AND have a large collection of digital media Roon is very hard to beat.

There has been quite a bit of talk about streamers recently. For me, the best streamer is no streamer at all.

What I mean is the best solution FOR ME is having my Intel NUC/Roon ROCK connected directly to my DAC via USB. (Yes, I know this means the NUC streams to itself and is therefore a streamer.)

NUC > USB > Yggy is about the cleanest path I could hope for. This sounds better in my system than Roon > WiFi > Node 2i > Yggy.

For anyone getting into the Roon game I feel that the new $500 Roon Nucleus connected directly to your favorite USB DAC would be a very solid choice.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #150,668 of 152,914
In some cases that's true but not all. The standards that allowed the internet to flourish came largely from DARPA (taxpayer money) and universities.
Well, of course it's not true in all cases! But for implementation I'd be curious which commercially successful standards-based products (including ethernet) didn't have huge resource inputs for commercial companies.

May 5, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #150,669 of 152,914
Well, of course it's not true in all cases! But for implementation I'd be curious which commercially successful standards-based products (including ethernet) didn't have huge resource inputs for commercial companies.
I'd venture none of them, and also propose that one of the main reasons for the evolution of standards, especially post-digital ones, was to protect revenue streams for large corporations.

May 5, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #150,670 of 152,914
I was responding to this statement:
Without those ginormous companies, there would be no standards
Which seems contradicted by the first statement here:
Being that we're not supposed to turn this into a political thread, I'm treading lightly, but I never saw much benefit in framing things completely in terms of private vs public sector. It's almost never just one or the other that contributes to innovation in this day and age.

Do I think we worship at the altar of the genius CEO to a pretty silly extent in our culture? Oh yeah 🙂

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #150,671 of 152,914
Happy Cinco de Mayo, if applicable! 😁

May 5, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #150,672 of 152,914

BACK to MUSIC ~~
This one also wonderful !

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 03.32.12.png

May 5, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #150,674 of 152,914
As a long time standards wonk, I do not worship CEOs, few of them possess genius. Most happened to be in the right place at the right time. It would be similarly short sighted to imaging that stanrads can succeed without commercial backing.
To be sure. Again, I'm not making any claims about standards originating only from the public sector. Nor any claims about your views on CEOs. Just clarifying the point I was making to begin with.

Whether a standard originates from the public or private sector, I do believe open standards have a strong tendency to be good for the consumer. That's all.

Cheers to you good sir.

May 5, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #150,675 of 152,914
Happy Cinco de Mayo, if applicable! 😁
I'm white and I'm an American, so it applies! 😄

*Waaaaay back when my wife and I were engaged, she spent six months in Mexico City doing a Youth With a Mission program she had been fundraising for over the past year. On May 5, I called her wishing her a happy Cinco de Mayo and she just went, "Huh?" Took her a while to remember that it was some sort of holiday because to the natives of Mexico City, it's a nothing day. They don't celebrate it. lol

Edit: I don't mean to be racially insensitive, CdM has always seemed like more an excuse for folks to order a poo-ton of margaritas than an actual American holiday with meaning and intent behind it. I really appreciate that Hispanic communities have used the day as an opportunity to bring awareness and connection to their great culture.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back