Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 5, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #150,676 of 152,855
Whether a standard originates from the public or private sector, I do believe open standards have a strong tendency to be good for the consumer. That's all.
Besides Linux and it's variants, what standard originated in the public sector? I can't think of any in electronics off the top of my head.

May 5, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #150,678 of 152,855
To piggyback on @Ableza’s comment above I also feel that my purchase of a lifetime Roon subscription is one of my best audio purchases. It isn’t for everyone, but for those of us who enjoy streaming audio AND have a large collection of digital media Roon is very hard to beat.

There has been quite a bit of talk about streamers recently. For me, the best streamer is no streamer at all.

What I mean is the best solution FOR ME is having my Intel NUC/Roon ROCK connected directly to my DAC via USB. (Yes, I know this means the NUC streams to itself and is therefore a streamer.)

NUC > USB > Yggy is about the cleanest path I could hope for. This sounds better in my system than Roon > WiFi > Node 2i > Yggy.

For anyone getting into the Roon game I feel that the new $500 Roon Nucleus connected directly to your favorite USB DAC would be a very solid choice.
It is great that you are happy with your purchase! I have a huge collection of digital and a system built for me that allows for complete access so I am happy as well.🤪 I do want to check out a streamer because I love to hear random music from Qobuz and the like as well as specific playlists. A couple friends have Roon, yet they are in awe of how quickly I can access a collection that is probably quadruple their own. I could send it to other rooms in multiple ways but no real need for me. Oh and I also use Radio Garden that gets me radio stations from all around the globe. Not the best quality on that but it beats using an FM antenna for me.

May 5, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #150,679 of 152,855
Margarita’s are fine. Since It’s Cinco de Mayo, here’s my Southwestern riff on a Paloma, kinda sorta.

John’s Prickly Ginger
In a shaker, add…
Ice
1.5 oz. Tequila - I prefer Hornitos Reposado - you were gonna make Ritas, right?
0.5 oz. prickly Pear Syrup
0.5 oz fresh lime juice

Shake. Pour (with the ice) into a Collins/TallCooler glass, fill with ginger beer.

For a less sweet version, halve the Prickly Pear, add a half oz. of Tequila. 😎

Garnish with a lime wedge, or not. Enjoy.

Prickly pear is a bartender’s gift, in my opinion…

I’m enjoying this with Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze, but YMMV.

May 5, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #150,680 of 152,855
You do not have to use ROON to use the SonicOrbiter infrastructure, although I do and find the lifetime subscription I bought years ago to be one of the best purchases I've made in audio. Sonore servers also work with DLNA, Samba and Squeezebox.
Ah that is good to know! What is the name of their iPad app (and is it iPad only, or is there an iPhone version)?

May 5, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #150,681 of 152,855
Besides Linux and it's variants, what standard originated in the public sector? I can't think of any in electronics off the top of my head.
I don't make any claims as to linux originating from the public sector, but TCP/IP largely did. It came about through the efforts of the DoD and was crucial in forming one of the greatest economic engines to come about in our lifetime (the internet).

Really, as the quote of mine you responded to alludes to, I think more important than where a standard originates from is whether or not it's open.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #150,682 of 152,855
.... to stream to specific rooms or tie them all together for “party mode” (as I call it!).

... but I’m not as concerned about critical listening for those (vs. just background music while cooking, hosting friends, etc).
I have referred to this as whole house music. At least half our listening involves this method.
iTunes from headless Mac Mini 2012 to Airport Express(s) is just great :)
Direct connect for personal enjoyment.
Turntable, CD, FM, Mac & Shiitty headphone kits.

Enjoy the Schiit N Music

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #150,683 of 152,855
I don't make any claims as to linux originating from the public sector, but TCP/IP largely did. It came about through the efforts of the DoD and was crucial in forming one of the greatest economic engines to come about in our lifetime (the internet).

Really, as the quote of mine you responded to alludes to, I think more important than where a standard originates from is whether or not it's open.
Thanks. Yes, either government or industry is likely the origin for all protocols and standards.

I for one think standards are not only necessary but I support companies developing closed standards where it makes sense to their business model. Do I think it's anti-competitive? Sure. Do I always buy into them? No, and that's the beauty of a large commercial society, we have choices. I like my iPhone and without Apple's closed standards building their revenue, I'd be stuck using something from Samsung and Google. :)

May 5, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #150,684 of 152,855
Margarita’s are fine. Since It’s Cinco de Mayo, here’s my Southwestern riff on a Paloma, kinda sorta.

John’s Prickly Ginger
In a shaker, add…
Ice
1.5 oz. Tequila - I prefer Hornitos Reposado - you were gonna make Ritas, right?
0.5 oz. prickly Pear Syrup
0.5 oz fresh lime juice

Shake. Pour (with the ice) into a Collins/TallCooler glass, fill with ginger beer.

For a less sweet version, halve the Prickly Pear, add a half oz. of Tequila. 😎

Garnish with a lime wedge, or not. Enjoy.

Prickly pear is a bartender’s gift, in my opinion…

I’m enjoying this with Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze, but YMMV.
That sounds delicious!

May 5, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #150,685 of 152,855
+1, +1, +1

Porcupine Tree makes definitive Prog Rock. That Steven Wilson guy... is a genius. IMHO/YMMV
I’m very late to the party regarding Porcupine Tree but I’m really enjoying them now.

My first exposure to Steven Wilson was his remixes of Jethro Tull and Yes albums which I think are excellent. If only all remixed/remastered albums sounded as good!

May 5, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #150,686 of 152,855
It is great that you are happy with your purchase! I have a huge collection of digital and a system built for me that allows for complete access so I am happy as well.🤪 I do want to check out a streamer because I love to hear random music from Qobuz and the like as well as specific playlists. A couple friends have Roon, yet they are in awe of how quickly I can access a collection that is probably quadruple their own. I could send it to other rooms in multiple ways but no real need for me. Oh and I also use Radio Garden that gets me radio stations from all around the globe. Not the best quality on that but it beats using an FM antenna for me.
Sorry if you’ve mentioned it previously, but what are you using for playback of your digital files?
I was introduced to Radio Garden just recently and I’m enjoying it as well.

May 5, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #150,687 of 152,855
Sorry if you’ve mentioned it previously, but what are you using for playback of your digital files?
I was introduced to Radio Garden just recently and I’m enjoying it as well.
I am running a beta version of a product currently in development. It may be a year or so before it hits the market. I am an investor, I need to do more with passive income.

Hopefully this is not too much info but I can create a 1,000 song playlist in ten seconds or less. Now the work involved to get to that point can take time.😁

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #150,688 of 152,855
I like open standards ....
.... when I think of standards, inter alia these come to mind:
IMG_8011.jpeg
IMG_8012.jpeg
🤣👍

May 5, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #150,690 of 152,855
I occasionally use my short-wave receiver. It was all I had to hear around the world in decades gone by. Ah, the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back