Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #150,766 of 153,097
May 6, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #150,767 of 153,097
NP if you want to try some I will see how many I have left after my current build. I used to get huge discounts from that company but no more. I miss the sales rep I used to have, she never sold me a lot of product but I enjoyed the back and forth, in a very business like sense of course. :ksc75smile:

May 6, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #150,768 of 153,097
NP if you want to try some I will see how many I have left after my current build. I used to get huge discounts from that company but no more. I miss the sales rep I used to have, she never sold me a lot of product but I enjoyed the back and forth, in a very business like sense of course. :ksc75smile:
Appreciate it, Tom. I intend to make cables for my Schiit stack in the rack that bcowen gifted me with. It will give me something to do at the bench, as I just got home from the ER at the hospital. I should get some sort of frequent flyer miles at that place.

May 6, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #150,769 of 153,097
I had an opposite experience. The Proclaimers performed at the Calgary Folk Festival last century. I had their Sunshine on Leith CD (I lived in Leith for a while when I was an undergrad) in my bitchin' car changer (I spent more on my TOTL Sony car stereo than I did to buy the car it was in, a 1966 Valiant convertible). I also had a very revealing for the time home stereo where I also listened to the album.

Anyway, they came out and played their album, no in-between song banter, front to back. It was exactly the same as on the CD. They could have been miming along for all the audio difference. I felt like I could have just stayed home and played the record and gotten better sound with no sunburn.

Very disappointing. I much prefer artists who strive to provide a different experience from their recordings, and a different experience night to night.
I totally agree with your sentiment! There are very few bands who could just straight up play their album and pull it off but PT somehow managed to make it magical. Mostly because you realize they they are achieving that level of professional perfection in a live setting with no chance of fixing f*ckups. And as technical as their music often is, that's impressive.

May 6, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #150,770 of 153,097
Appreciate it, Tom. I intend to make cables for my Schiit stack in the rack that bcowen gifted me with. It will give me something to do at the bench, as I just got home from the ER at the hospital. I should get some sort of frequent flyer miles at that place.
What is mine is yours Sam, take care of yourself and I will get back to you tomorrow.😉

May 6, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #150,771 of 153,097
Whiskey blind tests are awesome for the same outcome of disabusing people of their preconceived notions of "best ever" whiskey.
I remember years ago my brother bet me I wouldn’t be able to taste the difference between I think Jack Daniels and Makers Mark. I got it right and was shameless in my gloating.

I never told him I was guessing. That said, I don’t drink very often and distilled spirits rarely. An expert could probably tell even if I couldn’t because they did actually taste different.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #150,772 of 153,097

I assume she must have been a Cat Lady? No one can resist the charms of Finnegan. 🤣

May 6, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #150,773 of 153,097
Oh wow.

1715042248522.png

https://open.qobuz.com/track/103252918

May 6, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #150,774 of 153,097
May 6, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #150,775 of 153,097
May 6, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #150,776 of 153,097
The MiB -> MJ3 -> Stereo OG Aegir combo is making these DALI's sing in an amazingly full-voiced and pleasing way!

IMG_2066.JPEG

(OK, this is my 996th post... so it's time to act like an adult and go downstairs and stop posting this evening, because
there is big music to be listened to on the big rig. And whisky. And whiskey, too.)

May 6, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #150,778 of 153,097
A bit early, but I may be away from the computer tonight as I'm not feeling tip-top today. I may have over Cinco de Mayo'ed yesterday. :D

Here's tonight's Jazz recommendation. So many good ones from this artist that it was hard to pick just one. This one is probably not a very well know album, but it is a favorite of mine. Enjoy.

JazzReco-9.jpg
Great suggestion! I have enjoyed some of the other Pat Metheny albums (and I have a few) but I had never heard this one for some reason.

Thanks for taking the time to share album recommendations. I have had some great listening that I would not have found on my own because of it

Hope you feel better very soon.

May 6, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #150,779 of 153,097
I see Audirvana is now again offering a buy-it subscription-free option (Audirvana Origin) as well as their subscription license (Audirvana Studio). The buy-it version is for folks who only want to use it to stream their local library. My copy of Audirvana is over 3 years old, and the new version has several new features, key for me being the option to browse folders for playback. It includes regular updates and one yearly feature update and at least 2 OS compatibility updates.

Sold!

Edit: Mac and Windows versions, credit-card-free 30 day trial.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #150,780 of 153,097
I make sure that my seating position is greater than .5" from the headshell. If it is still a problem, I stuff a cotton ball in each ear. I'm not fortunate enough to have my rig in an anechoic chamber so it's typically not a problem for me. It would seem that my breathing and heartbeat would likely be a bigger problem than 'needle talk'. :wink:
I should record it for you. Sounds like a bunch of mice having a dinner conversation over a wee dram. :wink:
I can hear it maybe 3-4 feet away if I concentrate.
Needle talk? Really? With today's high compliance, high quality cartridges, styli and tonearms?
That's why I ask. Seems like something that shouldn't be happening.

This is why I prefer flinging bits through Ethernet into the gaping maw of a DAC. Definitely can't hear those electrons yammering away, singing Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, it's off to work we go, as they travel through the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back