Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 8, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #151,036 of 152,918
What time are we all coming over to help you enjoy all of that Schiit?
Not so far fetched. Your loco says New York - but there’s a lot of square miles in that piece of real esate. I’m in Stonington, CT. Little fishing village just about on the Rhode Island border. It might be fun to put together a Schiit aficianado event. I’m president of my boat owners’ group and we’ve done lots of get togethers.

May 8, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #151,037 of 152,918
For our Astro buds here @AstronomerXI … when I spin in the office chair (Titan from SecretLab - highly recommended btw)… this is my view, IYKYK… kinda makes high end audio take a bow… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Gotta get Astro back on the wave….)

image.jpg
That is a beautiful scope! I use an old Meade ED102. The mount finally let the smoke out so I'm looking for the next upgrade. In the interim, I have been using my club's remote scope in AZ. 20" Planewave CDK and Tak FSQ-106 on a Paramount ME II. Sadly work gets in the way of good observing time.

May 8, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #151,038 of 152,918
For our Astro buds here @AstronomerXI … when I spin in the office chair (Titan from SecretLab - highly recommended btw)… this is my view, IYKYK… kinda makes high end audio take a bow… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Gotta get Astro back on the wave….)

image.jpg
Beautiful scope, one of Roland’s finest! I’m still kicking myself for passing on an AP 152mm a decade or more ago. I still have my AP 102mm.

May 8, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #151,039 of 152,918
Concerning Maurice Richard that’s his 40 in 40 photo with forum net, but got a few signed Maurice including 1 of 9 sports illustrated sport covers…..oh signed jersey as well. Thank goodness I ran out of wall space….
I'm glad you didn't get one of my uncle's Stanley Cup rings, which somehow wound up offered on Ebay several years ago (our side of the family is not quite sure how). But a couple of my cousins -- his kids -- pooled some funds and were top bidders in its auction, so now it's back in the family where it belongs.

May 8, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #151,040 of 152,918
Beautiful scope, one of Roland’s finest! I’m still kicking myself for passing on an AP 152mm a decade or more ago. I still have my AP 102mm.
I had to pass on the Mach 1 during the first run. My father picked it up (we both went on the waitlist) and it's now in his observatory with an Televue NP-127is. The club scope is next door. https://kasonline.org/remote-telescope.html

IMG_5621.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #151,041 of 152,918
And tonight's Jazz recommendation is...

JazzReco-6.jpg

** I'll try to get another up tomorrow, but not sure if I'll be able. Depends on how long our board meeting runs.
Hey I posted this one some months back too... Great minds.

I have been a Robin Ford fan since the 90's

A story ran in the 90's that Miles Davis cried when Robin left his band.

May 8, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #151,042 of 152,918
Treehouse. I have never been there. A guy I do business with says he goes there with his wife to get beer and they both love it. Now I shall have to look into it more seriously.
Treehouse is one of the most coveted breweries in the nation as far as beer trades. Heavily sought after, especially by the haze bros.

May 8, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #151,043 of 152,918
I’d love a telescope, but it’s past beddy bye times

May 8, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #151,045 of 152,918
My first IT job was writing JCL for IBM 360/370 computers at Warner Brothers. The computers were the size of cars, the tape decks the size of refridgerators, and the measly 12mb hard drives the size of washing machines. I moved on to writing PL1, Cobol, Basic and Assembler with Atari and others. Managed DG and DEC mini computers before the PC took over. Switched to VB and then finally quit coding as I eventually found it repetitive and boring. I have to admit, I love how powerful and easy to use PCs have gotten.

May 9, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #151,047 of 152,918
May 9, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #151,049 of 152,918
I had to pass on the Mach 1 during the first run. My father picked it up (we both went on the waitlist) and it's now in his observatory with an Televue NP-127is. The club scope is next door. https://kasonline.org/remote-telescope.html

Nice personal and club observatory! I'm a bit of an observatory research junkie these days - I'm in the early planning stages of my own observatory. Next month I'm picking up a Celestron 9.25 CPC Deluxe fully kitted out for imaging (HyperStar, Atik Camera, etc.), a 152mm APM refractor, a pile of ~40 eyepieces, Zeiss binoviewers, and other gear from my brother. The JMI NGT-18 and Meade 12" SCT OTA will follow later this year. I have no idea where I'll store it all (I own 4 other telescopes) until we retire and move to our property on the Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) shore. I need to figure out what mount to get for the 12" and 2 refractors. I can mount 2 of them on a Discmount simultaneously for alt-az visual observing, but I want them on a solid permanent tracking mount on a pier inside a dome or roll-off roof shed for both imaging and visual astronomy.

What type of building is your father's observatory? How has the Mach 1 been working for him?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #151,050 of 152,918
It’s been nice reading the recent comments about programming languages some of you all been into, made me think of what ones I’ve dealt with over the years.

I started out on the Commodore 64 as a kid (somewhat disclosing my age here) and dabbled in the built-in BASIC, followed tutorials in the local computer magazines and stuff. Fun and interesting times.

Later got an Amiga 500 and ised it’s BASIC (also made by Microsoft by the way) looked into C and 68k assembler (so for me, big endian the norm and move source to destination, not the other way around like x86). Some years later I got into contact with Smalltalk and LISP (and EMACS! - Vi is still a mystery to me) at university, then got work at a web agency where we used mainly PHP and SQL. When the web boom waned they had to downsize so I was out of work and had to look for a new job. As luck would have it, it didn’t take long to find one at a company developing tools for facility management (where I’m still at to this day!). Back then we used PROGRESS 4GL but now we’re using the dotNET platform with vb and C#. It’s been quite the ride.

Going full circle back to the beginning, I have now started a hobby project where I’m making a Commodore 64 emulator in said dotNET and C#, and in the realm of that, deadlines be dmnd, “good enough” is banned, and if I have to go through a ton of files just to refactor something and rename a bunch of them so that I feel better about it, then I will do it 🤣

Just for fun, here is a screenshot from a while ago of it trying to load a game from a tape file (don’t mind the blinkenlights on the chip status views 😃)

IMG_4298.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back