Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #151,127 of 152,847
You can get a Bendix 2C51 from Dale Rogalski at : https://vacuumtubes.net/
for $25 + shipping.
Mine is a United Electron Brand.

According to Dale:
United Electron was a re-brander and did not make their own tubes. We can tell by the construction that they were made by Bendix and sold to United. It was very common for tube companies to make tubes for other companies. RCA, Sylvania and GE all made tubes for each other and re-branders bought from all of the different tube manufacturers. It was cheaper for companies to contract with another company that was currently producing a tube than to shut down a production line and re-tool.

Alex
Their price for a WE 396A is ridiculously low (the list says $50). What's the catch?

May 9, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #151,128 of 152,847
Any chance anyone knows what size of chassis screws the Asgard 2 used? Just flipped mine over for the first time and looks like I got sold one missing 4 screws on the bottom. Gonna take this chance to replace them all with black screws to match the stealth vibes of the Bifrost. Don't feel like running to the hardware store to match by hand, just gonna order some online.

IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5233.JPG

May 9, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #151,129 of 152,847
Many thanks to @Senex49 for a WE 396A. I receive an occasional gift and this one is amazing!
Listening to Bill Evans’ Empathy. I will do a tube comparison once each tube gets some play time. Fun stuff, tubes and music on a rainy day.🤪IMG_7889.jpeg

Ok Getz Girl from Ipanema is incredible first listen! Soundstage is remarkable.
Mom always said there was joy in giving and she was right. Great fun to make a material contribution for the good of the forum. Tom is such a great member and resource.

May 9, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #151,130 of 152,847
Their price for a WE 396A is ridiculously low (the list says $50). What's the catch?
I would suspect used and you best ask if WE 396A is printed on them. Caveat emptor

May 9, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #151,132 of 152,847
The WE396A that I sent to @Paladin79 was from Dale. They have a static website (long story) that doesn't reflect current pricing. I bought tow of the 396s for $75.00 each. Price seemed OK to me and both tubes arrived bearing all the right logos and seals, etc. Tom has one in his Vali 3 now for evaluation and I'm using the other one in my Vali 3 bedside rig.

May 9, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #151,133 of 152,847
The WE396A that I sent to @Paladin79 was from Dale. They have a static website (long story) that doesn't reflect current pricing. I bought tow of the 396s for $75.00 each. Price seemed OK to me and both tubes arrived bearing all the right logos and seals, etc. Tom has one in his Vali 3 now for evaluation and I'm using the other one in my Vali 3 bedside rig.
Thanks.

May 9, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #151,134 of 152,847
Mom always said there was joy in giving and she was right. Great fun to make a material contribution for the good of the forum. Tom is such a great member and resource.
The gift was certainly appreciated. Still listening and I have my wife talked into swapping tubes tomorrow. My back will be to the amp, each tube will get an hour warm up and all will be scored for 25 criteria. 4 points max for each. Six different tubes total including the tube supplied with the amp.

May 9, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #151,135 of 152,847
Great to know, and this one certainly looks and sounds legit.

May 9, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #151,136 of 152,847
The gift was certainly appreciated. Still listening and I have my wife talked into swapping tubes tomorrow. My back will be to the amp, each tube will get an hour warm up and all will be scored for 25 criteria. 4 points max for each. Six different tubes total including the tube supplied with the amp.
Now Tom....are u going to be abstaining from all "libations"
OR
Going to really enjoy the experience!!

lol!
Alex

May 9, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #151,137 of 152,847
Nice personal and club observatory! I'm a bit of an observatory research junkie these days - I'm in the early planning stages of my own observatory. Next month I'm picking up a Celestron 9.25 CPC Deluxe fully kitted out for imaging (HyperStar, Atik Camera, etc.), a 152mm APM refractor, a pile of ~40 eyepieces, Zeiss binoviewers, and other gear from my brother. The JMI NGT-18 and Meade 12" SCT OTA will follow later this year. I have no idea where I'll store it all (I own 4 other telescopes) until we retire and move to our property on the Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) shore. I need to figure out what mount to get for the 12" and 2 refractors. I can mount 2 of them on a Discmount simultaneously for alt-az visual observing, but I want them on a solid permanent tracking mount on a pier inside a dome or roll-off roof shed for both imaging and visual astronomy.

What type of building is your father's observatory? How has the Mach 1 been working for him?

That is quite a setup you are building. A few of the guys in the village have planewave L series mounts. Their shop is more local to me in Adrian, MI. After all of the domes and buildings I have seen, I am partial to the roll-off roof style. It takes up more space, but I think you can fit more - multiple piers and such. And I think it'd be cheaper overall.

He has a 10x10(ish) building with a 2nd floor 3m dome. The house came with the observatory done. Mach 1 is awesome and rock solid. I wish I had one for doing things locally.

Attachments

• IMG_0731-resize.jpg
    IMG_0731-resize.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #151,138 of 152,847
Now Tom....are u going to be abstaining from all "libations"
OR
Going to really enjoy the experience!!

lol!
Alex
I will be sober as a judge. I do not touch anything till dinner at 7 pm lol, I hope to get started about 9 am, figuring warmup and testing at 1.5 hours each, lunch, I will be finished by 6:30 pm EST. Warm up will start at 8 AM so maybe as soon as 6 pm. I can still chat on here as tubes warm up, I fashioned a little perforated cover for the amp so I will not see the tubes at all.

May 9, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #151,139 of 152,847
You can get a Bendix 2C51 from Dale Rogalski at : https://vacuumtubes.net/
for $25 + shipping.
Mine is a United Electron Brand.

According to Dale:
United Electron was a re-brander and did not make their own tubes. We can tell by the construction that they were made by Bendix and sold to United. It was very common for tube companies to make tubes for other companies. RCA, Sylvania and GE all made tubes for each other and re-branders bought from all of the different tube manufacturers. It was cheaper for companies to contract with another company that was currently producing a tube than to shut down a production line and re-tool.

Alex
I bought mine from Dale. Great customer service. Highly recommend dealing with him.

May 9, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #151,140 of 152,847
I bought mine from Dale. Great customer service. Highly recommend dealing with him.
You bought the Bendix? Is it marked CBS or GE? Double getter holder post? The GE of mine has 5670 etched into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back