Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
Dec 21, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #211 of 224
*nods*

*takes notes*

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #212 of 224
Could anyone do me a favor and point me to a recommended warm sounding tube for me to drop into my new Lyr 2?  I really like warm sound and don't know what to make of a lot of the tube discussion in here because it's all new to me.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #213 of 224
  Could anyone do me a favor and point me to a recommended warm sounding tube for me to drop into my new Lyr 2?  I really like warm sound and don't know what to make of a lot of the tube discussion in here because it's all new to me.

There is a tube rolling thread for the Lyr http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers
You may wanna go through that thread and get the impressions of the users of different tubes.
Enjoy!

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #214 of 224
Just got Valhalla 2 and have a couple of questions. When I use my Beyerdynamic T90 (250 ohms) should I set the gain switch on low or high? Can I turn on and off Valhalla 2 with T90 plugged in or should I always unplug the headphones?

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #215 of 224
Just got Valhalla 2 and have a couple of questions. When I use my Beyerdynamic T90 (250 ohms) should I set the gain switch on low or high? Can I turn on and off Valhalla 2 with T90 plugged in or should I always unplug the headphones?
Gain switch on High. If you want to be super careful you can unplug your headphones when turning the Valhalla 2 off and on. That said, I haven't done that with my HD 650 since like the 3 day. :p

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #217 of 224
I can hear some hum from Valhalla 2. I can hear it from the amp itself or with headphones on, even with the volume turned all the way down. Is this normal? Can it be "fixed" with new tubes? 

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #218 of 224
  I can hear some hum from Valhalla 2. I can hear it from the amp itself or with headphones on, even with the volume turned all the way down. Is this normal? Can it be "fixed" with new tubes? 

Sounds like an issue with your power line, probably DC offset on the ground/neutral plane.  Try plugging the amp into a completely different circuit and see if it still hums.  If you have any light dimmers on the circuit, turn them off and see if the hum changes.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #219 of 224
Just got my unit in the mail and listening to my HD700s...******* zo. At first I thought it was as good as a Cayin C5 amp, then the tubes warmed up and kicked in, that's not the case anymore. The vocals are much more rich, the bass is richer, deeper and lusher, the highs are clear and wispy/airy, the soundstage is magically wider, and the clarity is phenomenal...it's like I'm in Valhalla. Probably the best $350 I've ever spent. Gonna drop a review in a few days, and edit once it's fairly broken in. It is a lot bigger, weighs a lot more than I thought it would, used a 6.5mm jack (was not made clear, but fine either way) and it does get quite hot though, but nothing to really worry about imo. 

All I can say at this point is music is 10000000000000000x more engaging and enjoyable with this. 

Quote:

Doesn't really matter, higher gain may offer higher distortion. Since the T90s are extremely efficient it should take both easily. As far as unplugging them, it shouldn't hurt but be forewarned there may be residual high voltage in the amp even after turning them off so not sure if that will matter or not. It could be the same situation as keeping anything else plugged into an outlet where the power flows through but it doesn't affect the object that's plugged in. 

I will test the gain on mine and get back to you, but I'm pretty sure you should just go with whatever you want. Personally, I always go with high gain. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #220 of 224
Anyone using a Wyrd with a USB DAC that doesn't support async USB?

I know the unit is functional since I was able to use it on my Yggy, but some initial testing with a V800 didn't seem to work.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #221 of 224
I would like to use the Wyrd with two devices...
Does anyone know if using a USB hub at the output of Wyrd (like this one) will degrades the signal quality?
(If not, I will ask Schiit)

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #222 of 224
Does anyone know if using a USB hub at the output of Wyrd (like this one) will degrades the signal quality?

Why not try iFi iUSB3.0? It is a two port hub with two charging docks that does more stuff than the Wyrd. It also costs a lot more. I have one, and it is great.

Jan 26, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #223 of 224
  Why not try iFi iUSB3.0? It is a two port hub with two charging docks that does more stuff than the Wyrd. It also costs a lot more. I have one, and it is great.

Thank you and great review. But actually it is too expensive ... especially if the answer to my question turned out positive !

EDIT : Have you compared iFi with the sound of Wyrd ? I find it magic too!

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #224 of 224

Yes, I quote myself :wink:
If anyone is interested, here is the (very fast!) answer from Schiit : "it will eliminate any advantage of the Wyrd’s low-noise power supply."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back