Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,392

leesure

1000+ Head-Fier
According to their website, the Lyr started shipping Friday (2/25/2011). Any West Coasters get theirs yet?

I'm dying for early impressions!

Mar 1, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 2,392
According to their website, the Lyr started shipping Friday (2/25/2011). Any West Coasters get theirs yet?

I'm dying for early impressions!

If they have, they ain't talkin'.

When the second production run comes of age, (late March) I promise to post my impressions. Until then, I'm as giddy as a school girl that hasn't used the bathroom for a week.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 2,392
Anxiously waiting for a boatload of impressions on it, and what DAC is being paired with it. =)

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 2,392
SOMEBODY has to have gotten one by now!

I'm dyin' ova here.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 2,392
I got mine today. Here are impressions I posted in another thread:

"It certainly makes the LCD-2s sound incredible! There is no sense of recessed highs to me (but, then again, that could be my old ears). The Lyr makes the LCD-2 sound more "detailed"...it is much easier to identify individual music instruments and threads in a complex passage. I swear the soundstage is bigger. All I know is, as I listen to the Lyr and Audez'e, I am swept away by the music."

My source is a Cowon J3 playing flac files and the volume at "36". I can turn up the volume on the Lyr to about the 10 O'clock position and listen comfortably. It doesn't sound like anything is lacking.

Just started listening so I will have more detailed impressions in time. But so far, it rocks with the LCD-2s! :D

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 2,392

Quote:
I got mine. Here are impressions I posted in another thread:

"It certainly makes the LCD-2s sound incredible! There is no sense of recessed highs to me (but, then again, that could be my old ears). The Lyr makes the LCD-2 sound more "detailed"...it is much easier to identify individual music instruments and threads in a complex passage. I swear the soundstage is bigger. All I know is, as I listen to the Lyr and Audez'e, I am swept away by the music."

My source is a Cowon J3 playing flac files and the volume at "36". I can turn up the volume on the Lyr to about the 10 O'clock position and listen comfortably. It doesn't sound like anything is lacking.

Just started listening so I will have more detailed impressions in time. But so far, it rocks with the LCD-2s!
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Great to hear! Awaiting further impressions. If the consensus is they do great with the LCD-2, I may just have to grab one to do a direct comparison with the LCD-2 and the Burson, with the loser going to the FS forums.

Mar 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 2,392
Great to hear! Awaiting further impressions. If the consensus is they do great with the LCD-2, I may just have to grab one to do a direct comparison with the LCD-2 and the Burson, with the loser going to the FS forums.

This is the only high-powered amp I have ever had. I was listening to the LCD-2s with the Schiit Asgard and they sounded great, but the Lyr really makes them sound "properly powered"...I know it doesn't mean much, but the sound seems more full in all respects...

-HK sends

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 2,392
Thanks HK!  I too am hoping this is THE ONE for LCD-2's.  I'm not one who is longing fort more brightness, so I'm hoping it's not too bright...maybe with a little of that tube magic.

Looking forward to more impressions.

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 2,392
Thanks HK!  I too am hoping this is THE ONE for LCD-2's.  I'm not one who is longing fort more brightness, so I'm hoping it's not too bright...maybe with a little of that tube magic.

Looking forward to more impressions.

It's not bright by any means. I'll say it takes the natural sound and adds more presence. It really is hard to describe, but it sounds better with the LCD-2s than the Asgard...even that's not quite right, because the Asgard sounds great with the LCD-2s as well, but the Lyr sounds better. Sorry, for the confusion, it's really hard to describe at the moment...every time I want to compare amps, I am distracted by the music with the Lyr and Audez'e.

I'll need to get over the "wow" factor. Also, I don't think the stock tubes are that bad. They don't seem to detract from the sound. I guess I'll need to get some other tubes so I can roll and compare.

-HK sends

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 2,392
Really early impressions relative to the Valhalla with some HD600's after about 5 songs:
A bit brighter
A bit more air in between instruments/ bigger soundstage
Not as warm

Two other things: two bright orange LEDs behind the tubes that I know are gonna give me fits, and the enclosure has a slight gold/bronze tint compared to the silver-aluminum one of the Valhalla.

Looking forward to hearing some LCD-2 impressions!

Mar 2, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 2,392
West coaster reporting in. Received the Lyr today. I'm at work and can't really do serious listening, but I brought my Hifiman HE-6 cans and it sounds great with those. Surprisingly I still have to turn the volume on the Lyr to 11-11:30 (on the clock scale), however, it is ideal to get the volume pot near the halfway point anyway, I hate it when I can't turn past 9:00 and have no ability for refined volume adjustment, so that's a win.

The cans sound full, punchy, and no no distortion, smooth, not overly bright. I haven't pushed it past 12:00 (straight up), at that volume it is louder than you'd want (unless listening to soft music like classical or jazz/etc, or some older rock that was recorded without a lot of compression). Techno or modern rock are way too loud at 12:00!

I was previously using either a Benchmark (with jumpers removed to put it at 0dB gain) or the Headroom Micro Stack (that amp is a workhorse, I couldn't get it much past 9:00 on high gain, or 10:30 on medium gain), but those amps are at home so I can't compare. I hate comparing things anyway, I just like to plug in and spend a few days listening and see how much I enjoy it, but I will probably succumb and try and compare them at some point.

It does seem like I'm getting more punch and satisfaction without needing to crank them up as much as I did with the other amps, a sign I'm getting more dynamics (expected with all that power), but I might just be imagining that.

Anyway, no problem driving the HifiMan HE-6 with these at any volume you'd want.

Build quality looks excellent, amp is beautiful too, very nice. 

-- Gordie

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 2,392

Quote:

You're using a low-voltage source and you still have to attenuate the Lyr all the way down to 10 o'clock. Imagine what would happen if you were using a normal 2vrms source such as a DAC... The potentiometer wouldn't give you much fine control at that level of attenuation, and you would likely start suffering from channel imbalance.

Also, if you're at 10 o'clock on the Lyr with that source, then the Lyr is generating a small fraction of a volt as well as a small fraction of a watt for you. You're not really making use of the power of the amp.

Too much gain requires too much attenuation which bites you with analog non-IC attenuators. The amp may be great, but the high gain is problematic in most cases, and the power isn't really used in practice.

The only case where I can see it remotely making sense is if you have a low-power source coupled with very inefficient headphones (like the HE-6). In that case you may use the gain more, but even then you would be using only a small fraction of the power of this amp (but at least excess power doesn't hurt you unlike excess gain which needs to be attenuated).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back