Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #4,788 of 8,735
Cool I hadn't tried that big of voltage difference but the lyr is a current mode auto biasing amp so I guess it covers it.
Anyway I'm heading out to the festivities, Happy New Year Everyone!

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #4,790 of 8,735
Hey, if he's happy, the tube sounds good to him, and nothing bursts into flame...that's all that matters...right? (as long as he doesn't void his warranty
wink_face.gif
)

Cheers to a Happy New Year!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #4,791 of 8,735
Quote:
The returns with Valhalla and tube rolling is not nearly as good, different, or satisfying as Lyr. IMO.

What tubes have you tried with your Valhalla?

Thanks! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #4,794 of 8,735
Quote:
Hi...

What is soo different about Amperex orange label and bugle boy?  sound sig? or different light color? or different year?

THanks

It comes down to where they were made (Holland), the materials used, and the year when assessing a purchase of tubes(at least to me) .For instance,  I have a matched pair of PQ gold pin Amperex that are USA made that have a much different sonic signature then the Orange globes and the Bugle Boys.

My absolute favorite tubes I have experienced thus far are French made (E188cc) Mazda, Dario Miniwatt, and the just unbelievable sounding LA Radiotechniques all three of those just take the Lyr to another level to my ears.

BTW if you are considering the Orange Globes they are great for the money!

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #4,795 of 8,735
Quote:
It comes down to where they were made (Holland), the materials used, and the year when assessing a purchase of tubes(at least to me) .For instance,  I have a matched pair of PQ gold pin Amperex that are USA made that have a much different sonic signature then the Orange globes and the Bugle Boys.

My absolute favorite tubes I have experienced thus far are French made (E188cc) Mazda, Dario Miniwatt, and the just unbelievable sounding LA Radiotechniques all three of those just take the Lyr to another level to my ears.

BTW if you are considering the Orange Globes they are great for the money!

Yes i'm definitely considering the orange globes and near future I'm considering Amperex 6299 too...but that's later in the road...

Thank you for your info..
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,796 of 8,735
As some of the old hands who followed this thread know, other than the Matsu***ta 6922 tubes, I have never been fond of the 6922/E88CC/CCA types.  I always thought the mids and treble were too emphasized and the bass a bit weak.  That's why I always preferred the PCC88/ECC88 types.  That is, until now.  I finally got a chance to try some Philips JAN 6922 tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MATCHED-NOS-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-TUBES-PHILIPS-w-BONUS-DAMPERS-COUNTERPOINT-/350665933509?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4623679430533677213%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D350665933509%26

...and have been quite impressed with their overall sound and even their bass extension.  Call me a fan...I had to get a second set.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #4,797 of 8,735
Quote:
As some of the old hands who followed this thread know, other than the Matsu***ta 6922 tubes, I have never been fond of the 6922/E88CC/CCA types.  I always thought the mids and treble were too emphasized and the bass a bit weak.  That's why I always preferred the PCC88/ECC88 types.  That is, until now.  I finally got a chance to try some Philips JAN 6922 tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MATCHED-NOS-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-TUBES-PHILIPS-w-BONUS-DAMPERS-COUNTERPOINT-/350665933509?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D4623679430533677213%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D350665933509%26

...and have been quite impressed with their overall sound and even their bass extension.  Call me a fan...I had to get a second set.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Hey HK !

Interesting.
I've never owned CCA's or E88's  But I was planning to get some.
I appreciate reading your op.

Thanks for the Philips JAN NOS link.
I saw $53 and just punched Buy it Now.
Why not?

I just noticed they have a set that is "balanced" too.
Should I upgrade?

I've only seen an option for "matched"

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #4,798 of 8,735
Quote:
Hey HK !

Interesting.
I've never owned CCA's or E88's  But I was planning to get some.
I appreciate reading your op.

Thanks for the Philips JAN NOS link.
I saw $53 and just punched Buy it Now.
Why not?

I just noticed they have a set that is "balanced" too.
Should I upgrade?

I've only seen an option for "matched"

For the Lyr?  No, you don't need balanced.  I believe they are talking about matching both triodes in each tube and making sure they match the values in the other tube.  Since the Lyr only uses one triode per channel, as long as the first triode in one tube matches the first triode in the other tube, it won't matter if the second triodes match closely.  And, if you use Tubemongers triode flipper then it will be important if the second triode in each tube matches as well.  Confused yet? 
blink.gif

Hope that helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The reason a lot of us wanted to get as many Lorenz PCC88 tubes as we could is because the Lorenz tend to sound like the Siemens CCa tubes...but with added base and instrument separation.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #4,799 of 8,735
Quote:
For the Lyr?  No, you don't need balanced.  I believe they are talking about matching both triodes in each tube and making sure they match the values in the other tube.  Since the Lyr only uses one triode per channel, as long as the first triode in one tube matches the first triode in the other tube, it won't matter if the second triodes match closely.  And, if you use Tubemongers triode flipper then it will be important if the second triode in each tube matches as well.  Confused yet? 
blink.gif

Hope that helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The reason a lot of us wanted to get as many Lorenz PCC88 tubes as we could is because the Lorenz tend to sound like the Siemens CCa tubes...but with added base and instrument separation.

Outstanding information.
And yes, the whole triode thing hasn't sunk in.  It's on my list to read more.
Right up there with understanding year month numbering schemes.

Sandy sent me a message pitching, what else, E88CC's, NOS Gold Pins.  $230
Are those the E88CC's types that you don't particularly care for?

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4,800 of 8,735
Quote:
Outstanding information.
And yes, the whole triode thing hasn't sunk in.  It's on my list to read more.
Right up there with understanding year month numbering schemes.

Sandy sent me a message pitching, what else, E88CC's, NOS Gold Pins.  $230
Are those the E88CC's types that you don't particularly care for?

I've listened to a variety of E88CCs including some in that price range and I never really cared for any of them.  I found the ECC88s had more bass weight than the E88CCs (see what I mean about confusing?).  I know there are some folks that swear by E88CCs but I could never keep them in my amp very long.  Now that being said, our ears are different and you might end up liking them.  Remember, I wasn't a fan of 6922s either until I heard these (the Matsu's were the odd exception).  I will say this...as far as these and the Matsu's go...after I got these today, I see no reason to chase down a set of Matsu's anymore.

My standard disclaimer: All this is IMHO and YMMV...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back