Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #8,251 of 8,735
you just ordered them? which kind?maxed out spec or the cheapest|? i haven't got them yet man

you know what i am pissed about\? i paid 270 bucks for regular teles from tubemuseumusa and that was on their lowest sale.

i paid 80 bucks for the national matsusita tubes on tubemonger where as upscale sells cryo platinum teles and nationals for the same price.--and I bought them again there because even if I can't return the ones I bought as worse deals, I am not passing off the better deals because I don't consider myself losing when I actually own double the stuff.--not that I will every finish 10k life on them. will they last a life time|? maybe, better than lasting only a year, what's wrong with having a spare pair if I can and want to afford it.

Well I am buying from upscale as the situation on Ebay is a total cluster**** and I have zero confidence in tubes from there.

Right now I am looking at several auctions that all have tubes with the same date codes, or variations of it.

u2108604f

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-nos-of-E88CC-Telefunken-same-code-gold-pin-orig-box-matched-and-selected-/251249568827?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a7fa42c3b&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TELEFUNKEN-E88CC-ECC88-CCa-6DJ8-6922-ULM-GERMANY-1968-GOLD-PINS-MATCHED-/360598614430?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53f55a319e&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-of-Telefunken-E88CC-audio-double-triode-tube-NOS-NIB-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879839025?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item460dd5ff31&_uhb=1

So all of these tubes were made on June 12 1968 and end up on Ebay at the same time? I have serious doubts about this. This date code was not common in the past and the condition is too good.
These pics are more in line with what I have seen for NOS boxes and printing: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Six-Telefunken-EAA91-Tubes-with-Diamond-sign-Made-in-Germany-/181167768401?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a2e70c351&_uhb=1

I have a pair of tubes with another one of these curious date codes that I bought from a well known vendor and as far as I can tell they are genuine Teles on the inside. But I can't tell if they are new or reworked or if they are actually E88CC.

Anyways I hope one of the more knowledgeable members here can set me straight.

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #8,252 of 8,735
Quote:
Well I am buying from upscale as the situation on Ebay is a total cluster**** and I have zero confidence in tubes from there.

Right now I am looking at several auctions that all have tubes with the same date codes, or variations of it.

u2108604f

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-nos-of-E88CC-Telefunken-same-code-gold-pin-orig-box-matched-and-selected-/251249568827?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a7fa42c3b&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TELEFUNKEN-E88CC-ECC88-CCa-6DJ8-6922-ULM-GERMANY-1968-GOLD-PINS-MATCHED-/360598614430?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53f55a319e&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pair-of-Telefunken-E88CC-audio-double-triode-tube-NOS-NIB-FREE-SHIPPING-/300879839025?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item460dd5ff31&_uhb=1

So all of these tubes were made on June 12 1968 and end up on Ebay at the same time? I have serious doubts about this. This date code was not common in the past and the condition is too good.
These pics are more in line with what I have seen for NOS boxes and printing: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Six-Telefunken-EAA91-Tubes-with-Diamond-sign-Made-in-Germany-/181167768401?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a2e70c351&_uhb=1

I have a pair of tubes with another one of these curious date codes that I bought from a well known vendor and as far as I can tell they are genuine Teles on the inside. But I can't tell if they are new or reworked or if they are actually E88CC.

Anyways I hope one of the more knowledgeable members here can set me straight.

http://www.jacmusic.com/nos/images/Fakes/E88CC/re-done-100pcs/index.htm

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #8,253 of 8,735

I have seen that. I see that he does post a disclaimer there and I do know that there are other knowledgeable persons who dispute that page.

On the other hand there are many cases of replated pins and fake boxes so yeah they could be reworks. Maybe some guy somewhere got their hands on a bunch of military surplus equipment cheap and decided to resell all the pulled Teles as new. You could print the boxes on old card easily from photo process and match the color very closely. The one thing that would be hard to duplicate would be the tube label ink mix and process.

In any event only time will tell.

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #8,254 of 8,735
Quote:
I have seen that. I see that he does post a disclaimer there and I do know that there are other knowledgeable persons who dispute that page.

On the other hand there are many cases of replated pins and fake boxes so yeah they could be reworks. Maybe some guy somewhere got their hands on a bunch of military surplus equipment cheap and decided to resell all the pulled Teles as new. You could print the boxes on old card easily from photo process and match the color very closely. The one thing that would be hard to duplicate would be the tube label ink mix and process.

In any event only time will tell.

this is all getting into some deep trade water huh? what a bloody shame, people distain the hifi community for money, oh well, it's not like we are living in a world without Beats by Dre

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #8,255 of 8,735
I have realized that my early opinion about the stock tubes being obviously noisy is not exactly accurate.

I have noticed more than 3 pairs of different tubes being microphonic when no music is playing. i piked variation rococo and when the music is at a dead silence interval, I hear no buzz or hum that was obviously there before I started the music.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #8,257 of 8,735
Question for you guys, how well does the HD800 perform on the Lyr? Any particular tubes that make it stand-out?

HD800's perform very well with the Lyr.

Tubes that have given me the best results with these phones, in order:

1. Amperex 6922 Pinched Waists
2. Siemens & Halske CCa
3. Amperex USN-CEP
4. Siemens & Halske E88CC Grey Shields
5. RTC (La Radiotechnique) - both Heerlen and Suresnes, France versions

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #8,258 of 8,735
And for the HE-500, do you know which not too expensive tubes correspond ?

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #8,259 of 8,735
And for the HE-500, do you know which not too expensive tubes correspond ?

I feel you can't go wrong with the Matsu****a - National 6922 from Tubemonger.

These are quite possibly my favorite tubes and they have a remarkable clarity that most tubes are missing. It's a contest between these and a set of Telefunken I have for number one on my list.

Jul 5, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #8,260 of 8,735
Thank you very much for the answer. Otherwise I've already ordered a pair of ECC85 Siemens, do you think this is worse?

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #8,261 of 8,735
Quote:

These are quite possibly my favorite tubes and they have a remarkable clarity that most tubes are missing. It's a contest between these and a set of Telefunken I have for number one on my list.

you really can't go wrong with them, except for the price. It's not that I want to make tubemonger sales suffer, nor that I care to benefit others by telling them that there is a cheaper place to get them.--i already did in a previous post, and not a second goes by I don't feel like stupid Ned Stark

Jul 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #8,262 of 8,735
you know i am really just joining in this thread, as this is such an old and [size=small]humongous [/size]thread I basically ignored it in the past.

DO people really actually come report their great deals find and great tube find? If that is the case then this thread should be very much the holy grail thread for all LYR owners.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #8,263 of 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun 

I have a spare pair of the above-mentioned, very musical National 6922's that aren't getting any time on my Lyr.  They are just taking up space and need a home.  PM me and I'll get them to you anywhere in the CONUS for just shipping and paypal fee.

****THE NATIONALS HAVE BEEN SPOKEN FOR.  THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST****

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #8,264 of 8,735
you know i am really just joining in this thread, as this is such an old and [size=small]humongous [/size]thread I basically ignored it in the past.

DO people really actually come report their great deals find and great tube find? If that is the case then this thread should be very much the holy grail thread for all LYR owners.

Yes.

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #8,265 of 8,735
It was so tempting to take nelamvr6 up on his offer for the USN-CEP's, but if something happened to his tubes, I'd feel terrible. So, mercedesman had a pair up for sale, and I took advantage of the opportunity. Not sure if these will beat the Orange Globes, which are easily my current favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back