Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3,991 of 8,735
I've spent hours reading this thread and haven't really learned too much.  Most of this stuff is way over my head.  Three days ago if someone had mentioned "tube rolling" I would have guessed they were talking about some new X Games event.

I just bought a pair of Senn HD800's, and my Bifrost and Lyr are in the mail.  Would never have even considered changing the tubes until someone in the thread I started made the suggestion.  Seems crazy to even be considering it before I even listen to the gear, but if there are substantial gains in SQ to be had for a modest investment, why not?

So the question is "what tubes should I get for the gear described above?"  I listen mostly to classic rock, alternative, and some pop.

Would be looking for improved soundstage, and substantial tight bass.  Some describe the top end of the HD800's as hot, but I kind of like them the way they are.  So no real need to tame that.

If I have to spend more than $200 for the pair, I probably won't bother.

Suggestions?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,993 of 8,735
You could try Mullard CV2492 tubes if you are after substantial bass and improved soundstage. 

Here are MrRogers' impressions: 

http://vintageaudiotubes.com/?p=1316

Check out eBay (worldwide, not just US).  There are a couple of pairs selling there at the moment (one of the pairs are mine and are only up to $12.98 in the bidding). 

Edit: Found the Mullards to be a bit too warm with my HE-500s, but imagine they would go very well with HD800's, K702's etc. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #3,994 of 8,735
Quote:
You could try Mullard CV2492 tubes if you are after substantial bass and improved soundstage. 

Here are MrRogers' impressions: 

http://vintageaudiotubes.com/?p=1316

Check out eBay (worldwide, not just US).  There are a couple of pairs selling there at the moment (one of the pairs are mine and are only up to $12.98 in the bidding). 

Edit: Found the Mullards to be a bit too warm with my HE-500s, but imagine they would go very well with HD800's, K702's etc. 

I second that.. The CV2492s are an excellent choice for my K701, so they should be pretty good with the HD800. 

Regarding the HE-500s, that is an interesting observation. I intended on getting a pair and was looking for opinions on how they go with the Mullards. Glad someone brought that up. 

I don't like overly dark sound, its a bit blurry to me. Hence the reason why I like the K701.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3,995 of 8,735
I really didn't notice much of a difference in tubes so I sold off my Lorenz Stuttgard off a month or two ago.  I've been pretty happy with the stock GE tubes.. until tonight..

I receive my Bifrost three days ago and have been burning it in for about 12 hours/day running into the Lyr with the GE tubes.  They Lyr started to distort so I pulled the GE tubes and threw in some Mullard CV2492's I got from Tubemonger (the low score ones just to give them a try on the cheap). All I can say is WOW!  These are absolutely awesome with the HD700!!

Hopefully they will last a while. Once I recover form my gear spree, I'll be looking for another pair.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,996 of 8,735
I really didn't notice much of a difference in tubes so I sold off my Lorenz Stuttgard off a month or two ago (silly me).  I've been pretty happy with the stock GE tubes.. until tonight..

I received my Bifrost three days ago and have been burning it in for about 12 hours/day running into the Lyr with the GE tubes.  They Lyr started to distort so I pulled the GE tubes and threw in some Mullard CV2492's I got from Tubemonger (the low score ones just to give them a try on the cheap). All I can say is WOW!  These are absolutely awesome with the HD700!! Smooth as silk, great mids and fabulous bass extension.  Makes the HD700 sound like a souped up HD650 with solid, tight, deep bass, fabulous detail in the mids, more open and airy and smooths out the highs.  Dark, airy and balanced with great bass. I know it's a bit of a contradiction but that's what the HD700's are about. I'm actually having a hard time listening to my HE400 now.. go figure.

Hopefully the Mullards will last a while. Once I recover form my gear spree, I'll be looking for another pair.

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #3,997 of 8,735
Just fired up my Lyr that I got along with about 40 tubes from another Head-fi member.
So far, I've just rolled four sets of tubes, but can tell you that so far I like the Lorenz bottles
the best and the 61np 'rocket' tubes as well.  RCA tubes are very smooth and neutral and
a bit laid back in the bass.  I still have some Amperex 'hollands' to try.

Both the russian and the lorenz have great bass, a slight emphasis in the upper midrange
and a smooth, clear treble.   Second best amp I have for HD650's.
Hibuck....

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #3,998 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't think it would damage anything, just wasn't sure how it would sound. What do i know. Your the guinea pig on this one, if you want to try them I would definitely like to hear your impressions

Some ECC189 tubes arrived yesterday  - A set of NOS NIB German made RCAs (Siemens OEMs? late 1950's?). 

I haven't read anyone's opinion on these in this thread and so decided to act as the guinea pig, using the following set up: PC - Bifrost - Lyr - HE-500's.

Given the voltage dependent gain of these tubes and the potential for non-linearity, I was quite apprehensive because:

1. I'm not even sure what "non-linear" means in this context and
2. I assumed that "voltage dependent gain" and "non linear" were bad things

Here are some initial impressions.

I listed to them without burning them in and believed my suspicions to have been confirmed: Flabby, uncontrolled bass and not really a pleasant experience in general.  Took the cans off, but left the music going for an hour or two.

When I came back to them I was somewhat surprised.  The flabby bass was gone, replaced by a strong, controlled bass and strong highs.  Perhaps the treble was a little too strong, resulting in sibilance in one or two places I hadn't heard it before and prominent hi-hat sounds that weren't quite as crisp as normal.  The width of the soundstage and dimensionality, however, were spectacularly immersive to my ears.

Have come back to the tubes this afternoon and was disappointed to discover a crackling coming from one of the channels.  Rolled the tubes and confirmed the problem was with the tube and not the amp. 

I will clean the pins when I get the chance (and the change) to buy some solution and hopefully the tubes will have improved.  If not, perhaps its this sample rather than the ECC189 family in general. 

Be keen to know if anyone has already tried tubes like this, but not yet reported their findings. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3,999 of 8,735
Quote:
When I got my first pair of Lorenzes ,they cost me.$299.00...8 months ago
First pair of Siemens Cca's--$289-

What are you people complaining about
Paradoxper is almost giving them away..
Paradoxper & HK,are the 2 finest members of this forum,{among others}..
Their selling prices are unbelievably low..I have done business with them ,a few times.

Whats all the  bitching & moaning,all about..
This is still the USA,he can sell then for a $1000.00 a pair ,if he wants to.

I second that.... and to be point blank on this thread you have to gain respect... some of us rolled from the beginning and went through the learning experience together. We have had nut balls on here claiming the craziest crude rolling is expensive accept it or be happy with what ya got.. Its simple guys!

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #4,000 of 8,735
And my apologies to you,for not putting your name on that list
Because of you,I got my first Lorenz...remember?..think I paid $95.00

So,I tip my hat to you as well.

Hope all is well with you ?
& have a good weekend,

Mike

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #4,001 of 8,735
Just to let ya'll know, the Lorenz went for $85. Bunch of suckers. 
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #4,003 of 8,735
Sep 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,004 of 8,735
I found the stock GE tubes do pretty well with the HE400.
Quote:

if yes, it has two options for tubes GE or JJ tubes, which is good option to use with HE-400?

Please suggest

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4,005 of 8,735
Out of the stock tubes most people seem to prefer the GE's. I also didn't mind the Valhalla tubes with my HE6 but some others have differing opinions on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back