Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 3, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #15,722 of 23,494

Awesome bro. I’m trying to trade my once beloved TH900 for and LCD.
Just posted today so REALLY hoping someone will bite. The 900 is awesome but after acquiring the AFO, I’m spoiled with that warmer signature. The 900 just doesn't sound like it used too after the AFO. Have a TH-X00 modded Purpleheart to fill the gap but look what just happened. I’m gonna throw up again. Gimmie a minute........ok, I’m good. Wait.....

I’d be really interested how you like that combo. Truly!

Sorry for your loss. I just sold My Ebonys and miss them already, but don't compare to my LCD-X.

Check out this site for spares.
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/501287-Fostex-1412548286

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #15,726 of 23,494
I recently bought my first set of tubes for my Lyr 1. I'd gone with the stock GE's up until now. So what have I learned? Mostly that I'm not all that happy with my AKG K702 earphones! Neither the GE's nor the Gold Lions make my K702's sound like the Focal Clears! So I'll not buy any more tubes until I have my Focal Clears. Unless I see something really interesting - then all bets are off!

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #15,728 of 23,494
My cans and dac are weather delayed, so I got my best pair of TS 2C51 in my dac and my best pair of WE 396A in my MJ2. Holy grail sound ( at least for my ears) $120 total in tubes.
Curious how the gumby does vs your tube DAC now and if it changes your test in tubes :p

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #15,730 of 23,494
I am very curious as well, keeping the Lite Dad 68 for the 396A, 2C51 family. These tubes account for about 50% of the tube sound. The 6DJ8 family sound in the dac is much more subtle.

Love the Gumby. When I first got it didn’t like it much but still separated instruments better than my Mimby. After two days of it being on and finally sitting down for a session it was like a whole different DAC. Nice full low end, wasn’t as sharp as it was before, even better instrument separation.

Let us know your thoughts compared to your current DAC.

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #15,731 of 23,494
Love the Gumby. When I first got it didn’t like it much but still separated instruments better than my Mimby. After two days of it being on and finally sitting down for a session it was like a whole different DAC. Nice full low end, wasn’t as sharp as it was before, even better instrument separation.

Let us know your thoughts compared to your current DAC.

Agree on a little time being necessary for GMB to show it's full potential.
Also think the subtle details and spacial characteristics that the GMB is capable of will challenge some tubes and highlight others.
Often joked that the best addition to my tube collection was the GMB! : )

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #15,732 of 23,494
Yeah if your Gumby is new give it a good month before true evaluation. And leave it on 24/7...at least that’s my experience with the Yggy. Mike Moffat (sp?) knows DAC’s like no other !!!

Edit: TK, is it new or used?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back