Schiit Magni+ and Magni Heretic :: Impressions Thread
May 6, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #211 of 216
The Unity is heading right away to the office, while the Heretic is staying here a little longer. I will try to A/B against the Liquid Spark.

The good news: I'm happy I did the A/B against the LS.
The bad news: I was awarded with a faulty unit. :sob:

... and my Magni+ has a slight channel imbalance. The vocals instead of being at 12 o'clock they are slightly to the right ...

Same here. Pulled up my tooling and it has a measurable difference of at least 1dB, according to the decibel meter.

Had my first email from Tom at 9am my time asking me to do all sorts of trouble shooting. Probably protocol, ...

How did this end for you? Did you get a new unit? It is my turn now.

Moreover, now my :eyes: are on the Magni Unity (also new), which I just left in the office, a few hours ago. Will confirm with the other amp first, before contacting Support. :fingers_crossed:

May 7, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #212 of 216
The good news: I'm happy I did the A/B against the LS.
The bad news: I was awarded with a faulty unit. :sob:

Same here. Pulled up my tooling and it has a measurable difference of at least 1dB, according to the decibel meter.

How did this end for you? Did you get a new unit? It is my turn now.

Moreover, now my :eyes: are on the Magni Unity (also new), which I just left in the office, a few hours ago. Will confirm with the other amp first, before contacting Support. :fingers_crossed:
cold solder joint on the volume pot. Reflowed and all is right now.

May 9, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #213 of 216
Well, mine works great other than occasionally dropping the left channel - odd, but not returning, because I think it's a gain switch issue and re-switching the gain fixes it every time (I have two years to decide if it needs fixing). As for sound, still liking the Heretic, but my ears are pretty inconsistent and switching to the Magni 3+ I seem to be getting better instrument separation at the moment. Next up, Vali 2 with a JAN 5670W and an adaptor to see if it can be better - of course, I still need to order the tube and adaptor. :upside_down:

May 9, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #214 of 216
The Heretic I had here is already on its way back to TX.

Tried it a last time this morning and the channel imbalance was definitely there. 25% of the "last call price" was gone in a shipping label. Now I truly hope they're able to reproduce the issue onsite, otherwise there will also be a 15% restocking fee to swallow.

At least the Unity purchased in the same order came out perfect. :relieved:

May 9, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #215 of 216
The Heretic I had here is already on its way back to TX.

Tried it a last time this morning and the channel imbalance was definitely there. 25% of the "last call price" was gone in a shipping label. Now I truly hope they're able to reproduce the issue onsite, otherwise there will also be a 15% restocking fee to swallow.

At least the Unity purchased in the same order came out perfect. :relieved:
How do you find the Unity compares to the Heretic? Haven't had any issues on the Heretic so far thankfully, but do worry it may have issues eventually. I did have a Heresy in the past have some problems.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #216 of 216
How do you find the Unity compares to the Heretic?

Unity is way more convenient as a combo. Ended up not comparing both, sound-wise.

Briefly compared the Heretic against the Liquid Spark though. Aside from the channel imbalance issue, I would certainly fail in a blind test. Maybe with time I would be able to spot differences, but I'm not confident about that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back