Aug 18, 2023 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,722

XERO1

Headphoneus Supremus
mj3 silver front 1920.jpg
mjolnir 3 blk front 1920.jpeg
mjolnir 3 black rr 1920.jpeg
mjolnir 3 internal 1920.jpeg

https://www.schiit.com/products/mjolnir-3

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8253#post-17692439

Specs:
Balanced Headphone Output:

Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 1W RMS per channel
Output Impedance: Less than 0.25 ohms

Single-Ended Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 500mW RMS per channel
Output Impedance: Less than 0.13 ohms

Input Impedance: 50K ohms
Gain (Balanced Input): 2 (6dB) or 8 (18dB)
Gain (SE Input): 1 (0dB) or 4 (12dB)
Inputs: Balanced XLR and Single-Ended RCA, relay switched
Outputs: Balanced headphone (4-pin XLR), single-ended headphone (1/4” TRS), switchable balanced and single-ended line preamp
Gain Stage: Equipoise™ fully discrete, high voltage, differential zero feedback single-ended or push-pull Class-A, DC in and out; selectable feedback and gain independent from feedback; 16 10A bipolar NPN output devices per channel
Power Supply: Full dual mono, choke input, 2 48VA transformers and 2 chokes, separate 100V front end rail for each channel, 100% discrete regulation with over 20,000uF filter capacitance per channel
Power Consumption: 50W typical
Size: 16” x 8” x 2”
Weight: 16 lbs
Price: $1199 (Black), $1299 (Silver)

The Mjolnir 3 was originally intended to be a limited-edition amp (Batch 1 = 250 units, Batch 2 = 250 units), but due to popular demand, it is now a currently available product, but it will only be made in small batches, so there may be times were it will be unavailable for purchase or have a long delay before being shipped.

It's hard to believe that it's been 8 years to the day that the Mjolnir 2 was first announced!

Now, the Mjolnir 3 has finally arrived, and it's a solid-state, fully-balanced, choke-input, pure Class-A beauty of an amp.

And it has a few new tricks up its sleeve that should make it a special amp indeed!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 2,722
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 2,722
My tubed Mjolnir 2 is still my favorite headphone amp. When I compared it to the summit-fi HeadAmp GS-X mk2, you could hear some very slight differences that I think were only there because of the tubes. I bet the Mjolnir 3 will be indistinguishable from that $3k amp. Very excited for folks to get their hands on it, although I think it's still shameful that Schiit doesn't have a high-end tubed headphone amp.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 2,722
My tubed Mjolnir 2 is still my favorite headphone amp. When I compared it to the summit-fi HeadAmp GS-X mk2, you could hear some very slight differences that I think were only there because of the tubes. I bet the Mjolnir 3 will be indistinguishable from that $3k amp. Very excited for folks to get their hands on it, although I think it's still shameful that Schiit doesn't have a high-end tubed headphone amp.
I loved the mjolnir 2 with the hd800s. Incredible liquid sound that was addictive. I just didn't like the sound of it with the susvara so I sold it after I got rid of the hd800s. I bet mjolnir 3 will be one of my favorite amps. I'll be trying it with the Susvara and Abyss AB 1266 phi tc using the Yggdrasil OG A2 as the dac. I understand some will say the susvara needs higher wattage but I have found the hdva600 to be capable of driving the susvara with about 1% less bass than the bliss kte and with clearer treble.

I will also try it as a pre for the AHB2. It also looks like the mjolnir 3 is really an entirely new amp over mjolnir 2 so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 2,722
Keep in mind that because they sell direct, their items would be much higher priced if sold via the typical retail network and some would definitely be considered "high-end."

Aug 18, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 2,722
I loved the mjolnir 2 with the hd800s. Incredible liquid sound that was addictive. I just didn't like the sound of it with the susvara so I sold it after I got rid of the hd800s. I bet mjolnir 3 will be one of my favorite amps. I'll be trying it with the Susvara and Abyss AB 1266 phi tc using the Yggdrasil OG A2 as the dac. I understand some will say the susvara needs higher wattage but I have found the hdva600 to be capable of driving the susvara with about 1% less bass than the bliss kte and with clearer treble.

I will also try it as a pre for the AHB2. It also looks like the mjolnir 3 is really an entirely new amp over mjolnir 2 so we'll see how it goes.
Driving Susvara is probably the number 1 question about MJ3.

Aug 19, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 2,722
But is it true that there is no 230 volt?
Schiit said they are looking into whether this can be done as an option ... just a change of transformer ?

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that 230v wasn't considered as it was only ever going to be a limited production run, which will probably sell out just in the USA.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 2,722
Schiit said they are looking into whether this can be done as an option ... just a change of transformer ?

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that 230v wasn't considered as it was only ever going to be a limited production run, which will probably sell out just in the USA.
I think so. As a result of my inquiry, they told me to use a 110 volt voltage converter.

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 2,722
Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 2,722
Only 0.5W into 300Ohm SE. ouch. Keeping the Lyr+.

The Lyr+ isn't really that much more powerful than the Mjolnir 3 into 300 Ohms from its SE output.

900mW vs. 500mW is only around 2.8dB more of dynamic headroom.

And the Mjolnir 3 is slightly more powerful than the Lyr+ into 300 Ohms from its balanced output (1000mW vs. 900mW).

But the Lyr+ definitely starts to pull ahead power-wise with headphones that have lower impedances.

However, when listening to music at any sane level, most people with most headphones will never need to pull more than 500mW from any amp. Like.... ever. 🤖

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 2,722
The Lyr+ isn't really that much more powerful than the Mjolnir 3 into 300 Ohms from its SE output.

900mW vs. 500mW is only around 2.8dB more of dynamic headroom.

And the Mjolnir 3 is slightly more powerful than the Lyr+ into 300 Ohms from its balanced output (1000mW vs. 900mW).

But the Lyr+ definitely starts to pull ahead power-wise with headphone's that have lower impedances.

However, when listening to music at any sane level, most people with most headphones will never need to pull more than 500mW from any amp. Like.... ever. 🤖
Even with the susvara I found the hdva600 is capable of driving it. I also bought the bliss kte which has more power, but it didn't give me a drastic difference in dynamic range even with more power than the hdva600. Instead it had slightly more bass (+1%), what sounded like slightly longer decay to notes by a millisecond or two, lightly rounded yet still detailed treble, and a tube like holographic characteristic that was somewhat smoothed over but still extremely high resolution. The hdva600 drove the suavara and provided great clarity in treble and impact to bass while the bliss kte pulled ahead just barely in bass. Both the bliss kte and hdva600 had their own sound and were much higher resolution than than the mjolnir 2 when I had it.

With this being my experience I'm expecting the mjolnir 3 to be fully capable of driving susvara and ab 1266 phi tc. And of course you could get that last few percentage points of dynamic range out of a speaker amp if you use the mj3 as a pre if for some reason it doesn't have the impact/dynamic range expected.

As for how the mjolnir 3 sounds I'm keeping an open mind but I'm hoping I like it a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back