Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir vs Woo WA6-SE/Bifrost
Jan 7, 2014 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Khragon

Previously known as KMSV.
Hey guys,

Anyone care to lend their opinion on these two configuration, they cost about the same.  I have Audeze LCD2 and Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm at the moment, and listens to vocal alot, with some classical in the mix.  Also I enjoy watching movies with the LCD2.  I want an amp/dac combo that would sound good for most type of headphones, as I'm also eyeing the HD800 in the near future.  From my research I know Mjolnir sounds very good with LCD2, but would be too bright with HD800.  How does the WA6SE fair in this case against Mjolnir/LCD2 combo? would it be a better general purpose amp (pairing with LCD2 now and HD800 in the future), not loosing too much ground to Mjolnir.

Sound preference wise, I really like LCD2 bass impact (currently running Modi/Vali), and vocal smoothness.  I'm very curious about HD800, but I don't want to spend the money for a dedicated amp to drive each headphone

Thanks for all the input.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't think there is a perfect Amp/DAC combo for both HD800's and LCD-2's without tweaking.....

I had a WA22 with a Wyred4Sound DAC-1 with HD 800's. I sold the woo and tried the HD800's with the Mjolnir/Gungnir and bought the LCD-2's.The LCD-2's I kept, the HD800s I sold.

After I sold the HD800's I did miss the clarity of the vocals with the HD800's, It was suggesting to my by Brunk to use JRiver on my laptop as the source, and use the EQ setting and the TSonce V3 plugin to get the final adjustments I needed. It's simply perfect now. 

I would have liked to try this setup out with the HD800's, i sold them before finding Jriver.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Decided I'll go the WA6SE/Bifrost route, so far my impression is that it's a better rounded amp, and seem to me pair much better with HD800 then Mjolnir.

Also, I purchased JRiver, put can't find TSonce V3 plugin, can you provide a link?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back