Schiit OL? (Magni static)
Jul 18, 2021 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

earmonger

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an OG Schiit Magni (purchased from none other than the invincible Torq).

There is static when I turn the volume knob: not great, but OK, I could deal with that.

However, there are also random little moments of static when it's just sitting there untouched, supposedly doing its job. This is not good. Is there a way for a non-professional to fix this? Is it time for the bin?

The unit has not in any way been abused. Just sitting on a desk. It's kind of clever how Schiit put the big bulky transformer stuff into the power adapter so it could have the cute little case but...it should work better instead of adding noise.

I'm disinclined to try another Schiit after this, although obviously they have many Magni successors.

Any other basic (under $100) but beneficial headphone amps people recommend?

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 3
I have an OG Schiit Magni (purchased from none other than the invincible Torq).

There is static when I turn the volume knob: not great, but OK, I could deal with that.

However, there are also random little moments of static when it's just sitting there untouched, supposedly doing its job. This is not good. Is there a way for a non-professional to fix this? Is it time for the bin?

The unit has not in any way been abused. Just sitting on a desk. It's kind of clever how Schiit put the big bulky transformer stuff into the power adapter so it could have the cute little case but...it should work better instead of adding noise.

I'm disinclined to try another Schiit after this, although obviously they have many Magni successors.

Any other basic (under $100) but beneficial headphone amps people recommend?
BUMPING this up. Schiit didn't reply to a direct support email or here. Are they just putting in crappy volume controls/pots? Anyone have advice on how to clean or adjust the volume knob so the static goes away? I don't care how clever their blog posts are if they don't support their products.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 3
BUMPING this up. Schiit didn't reply to a direct support email or here. Are they just putting in crappy volume controls/pots? Anyone have advice on how to clean or adjust the volume knob so the static goes away? I don't care how clever their blog posts are if they don't support their products.
If you have an OG magni and that's all you're dealing with. You're way ahead of the game.

Grab some of this.
DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006LVEU/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_1CVYN1MEJ0T1M51EB7G7

Remove the knob and spray the pot shaft and turn it back and forth a good many times. Let it completely dry(maybe 20 to 30 minutes) before you turn the amp back on. Static should be gone after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back