Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3,841 of 13,350
Can anyone help with finding a USB cable for the Modi? I don't feel like paying $20 for the PYST

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #3,845 of 13,350
I think this may be more of a general question, but it releates to the Lyr. When I'm looking at tubes purchasing tubes for the Lyr (whether through ebay or whatever), what do the ratings mean? I'm seeing things like 70/80 and 90/80. Need some help and some quick Google searches are coming up with nothing.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,846 of 13,350
I recently became a Schiit head.  I just took delivery of an "Überfrost" DAC and a Valhalla.  My Sennheiser HD 650's haven't arrived yet so I ran out to BestBuy and picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's to "audition" until the UPS guys brings my last package  (On a good day I'm just impatient

I thought I'd share my "out of the box" impressions here.

Installing the USB drivers was a bit of a pain.  The unzipped driver files needed to be "decrypted" in windows explorer before they would install correctly.  Not difficult to do, but certainly not intuitive.  I hit the Schiit site - read the "Windows DAC Setup" guide and was on the right track in minutes.  

Eager to test my setup (albeit with temporary headphones), I queued up a bunch of test tracks, poured a glass of wine and settled in for a listening session.

Without anything playing on the PC I donned the headphones to listen for any audible hum.  Right away, I had a nasty crackle - rerouting the USB cable fixed that problem.

Time for some tunes finally!

.....I couldn't have been more disappointed in the performance of the HD 558!  In a nutshell, it sounded like a someone threw a wet towel over the drum kits.  The low end was just mush.  My listening session lasted about an hour before I called it a night.  
I expect that as the amp / tubes break in performance will improve.   ...but nothing is going to fix those phones!  I expect (pray) that the HD 650's will be a much better match for the "frosty valhalla".
The HD 558's are on their way back to the store tomorrow.  That's what being impatient gets you.

On a positive note.  I queued up Lana Del Rey's "Summertime Sadness" in iTunes.  It sounded "ok".  I asked iTunes to generate a lossless version of the track and then played the two versions back to back.  What a difference!  (no thanks to the HD 558's)   I was pleasantly surprised that the differences in resolution / encoding were readily apparent to my rank amateur ears.  I think (hope) the different headphones will make a significant difference.

I am looking forward to try trying this setup with the HD 650s.  

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #3,847 of 13,350
.....I couldn't have been more disappointed in the performance of the HD 558!  In a nutshell, it sounded like a someone threw a wet towel over the drum kits.  The low end was just mush.  My listening session lasted about an hour before I called it a night.  
I expect that as the amp / tubes break in performance will improve.   ...but nothing is going to fix those phones!  I expect (pray) that the HD 650's will be a much better match for the "frosty valhalla".
The HD 558's are on their way back to the store tomorrow.  That's what being impatient gets you.

With the HD558 the problem isn't the phones, it's the amp. The Valhalla and any OTL amp work well with high impedance headphones. With low impedance headphones the sound quality suffers greatly. The HD558 is 50 ohms, while the HD600/650 are 300 ohms. The 558 will probably sound better out of your phone than the Valhalla.

Jan 15, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #3,848 of 13,350
With the HD558 the problem isn't the phones, it's the amp. The Valhalla and any OTL amp work well with high impedance headphones. With low impedance headphones the sound quality suffers greatly. The HD558 is 50 ohms, while the HD600/650 are 300 ohms. The 558 will probably sound better out of your phone than the Valhalla.

Thanks for explaining the reason those phones don't pair well with my Valhalla. It's reassuring to know the facts behind the subjective. I learned an important lesson. You can read about it - but hearing it in person gives it an entirely different perspective.
My 650s should be here before the weekend. I'll try to exercise a little more patience

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #3,849 of 13,350
Thanks for explaining the reason those phones don't pair well with my Valhalla. It's reassuring to know the facts behind the subjective.
My 650s should be here before the weekend. I'll try to exercise a little more patience

Though Valhalla's "ideal" load is high impedance cans, Schiit clearly indicates it's fine for 32-600 ohms.

Had mine for two years. It's been driving Grado 325/RS1i, Beyerdynamic DT880/T90, and Senn 600/650. Transparency, texture, timbre, speed, dynamics, air & space, and articulate bass in all cases, including the 32 ohm Grados.

Enjoy! Your new setup should be terrific!

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #3,850 of 13,350
  I recently became a Schiit head.  I just took delivery of an "Überfrost" DAC and a Valhalla.  My Sennheiser HD 650's haven't arrived yet so I ran out to BestBuy and picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's to "audition" until the UPS guys brings my last package  (On a good day I'm just impatient

I thought I'd share my "out of the box" impressions here.

Installing the USB drivers was a bit of a pain.  The unzipped driver files needed to be "decrypted" in windows explorer before they would install correctly.  Not difficult to do, but certainly not intuitive.  I hit the Schiit site - read the "Windows DAC Setup" guide and was on the right track in minutes.  

Eager to test my setup (albeit with temporary headphones), I queued up a bunch of test tracks, poured a glass of wine and settled in for a listening session.

Without anything playing on the PC I donned the headphones to listen for any audible hum.  Right away, I had a nasty crackle - rerouting the USB cable fixed that problem.

Time for some tunes finally!

On a positive note.  I queued up Lana Del Rey's "Summertime Sadness" in iTunes.  It sounded "ok".  I asked iTunes to generate a lossless version of the track and then played the two versions back to back.  What a difference!  (no thanks to the HD 558's)   I was pleasantly surprised that the differences in resolution / encoding were readily apparent to my rank amateur ears.  I think (hope) the different headphones will make a significant difference.

I am looking forward to try trying this setup with the HD 650s.  

I've tried 558's with the Magni, and it is a great combination. No clue why you decided to use 558's with the Valhalla.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #3,851 of 13,350

I've tried 558's with the Magni, and it is a great combination. No clue why you decided to use 558's with the Valhalla

I grabbed a pair of 558's off the shelf of my local Best Buy because my 650's haven't shipped yet.  The 558's were supposed to be temporary while I broke in my new DAC/Amp.  
Even at 45, I'm still like a little kid who can't wait to play with his Christmas presents.  (proof that men never grow up, we just get older - and our toys get more expensive)    

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #3,852 of 13,350
  I grabbed a pair of 558's off the shelf of my local Best Buy because my 650's haven't shipped yet.  The 558's were supposed to be temporary while I broke in my new DAC/Amp.  
Even at 45, I'm still like a little kid who can't wait to play with his Christmas presents.  (proof that men never grow up, we just get older - and our toys get more expensive)    

I completely understand. It's always hard having to wait for new cans.

When those 650's come in though, you'll be in audio bliss

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #3,853 of 13,350
The only Schiit amp I own currently is the Valhalla. It makes my HD650s sound amazing. I then plugged in my Grado 80i's and wasn't as impressed; they sound better (punchier/tighter lows) with my CSG Cmoy. What Schiit amp would work better with the lower end Grados?

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #3,854 of 13,350
  The only Schiit amp I own currently is the Valhalla. It makes my HD650s sound amazing. I then plugged in my Grado 80i's and wasn't as impressed; they sound better (punchier/tighter lows) with my CSG Cmoy. What Schiit amp would work better with the lower end Grados?

Take a shot on the Vali. Risk is so low on that thing. I'm thinking about picking one up even though I have absolutely no need for one.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #3,855 of 13,350

The Magni would probably be a good fit. It's probably the only Schiit amp that pairs well with lower impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back