Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #196 of 231
I'd love to have the Sys in reverse without having to keep volume all the way up (defeats my intended use of controlling powered monitors...)

Instead, I bought a Mackie Big Knob Passive. It's a 2x2 with other features (Mute, Mono, Dim) and a source select and monitor select.

Best $69 I spent. https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-BIG-KNOB-PASSIVE-Controller/dp/B01NCUZ32O

However, I wish Schiit made something just like this but with Schiit design so I can stack it with my Magni 3...

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #197 of 231
I'd love to have the Sys in reverse without having to keep volume all the way up (defeats my intended use of controlling powered monitors...)

Instead, I bought a Mackie Big Knob Passive. It's a 2x2 with other features (Mute, Mono, Dim) and a source select and monitor select.

Best $69 I spent. https://www.amazon.com/Mackie-BIG-KNOB-PASSIVE-Controller/dp/B01NCUZ32O

However, I wish Schiit made something just like this but with Schiit design so I can stack it with my Magni 3...

Wow, that thing looks great. I currently just keep my integrated headphone amp plugged into the RCA outs on my DAC and my monitors plugged into the XLR outs. I then turn on whichever I want to listen to and turn off the other. Using an Emotiva Control Freak to control volume for the monitors. I like the feeling of a big volume knob for monitors. Glad to know someone else is making one, now.

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #198 of 231

Earlier I posted about a simple mod one can do to convert the Sys to be a 1->2 output switcher, one fixed output one variable.

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #199 of 231
Earlier I posted about a simple mod one can do to convert the Sys to be a 1->2 output switcher, one fixed output one variable.

Yes I saw that. Thank you for posting it.

However, I'll probably never do the mod; I don't have the tools and as simple as it seems, I just don't want to take the unnecessary risk of breaking something.

I think Schiit is leaving a good portion of customers on the table by not having the reverse set up. I mean, they have a USB "de-crappifier" so you would think they could expand their offering to a 2x2.

As I posted earlier, the Mackie Big Knob Passive is 2x2 with balanced ins/outs and with features like Mono, Mute, and source/out selectors all for $69

I'd pay $79, maybe even $99 if Schiit made the same 2x2 (balanced ins/outs, same features) as long as I can add it to the Schiit stack.

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #201 of 231
For those who refuse to use Schiit SYS in reverse introducing SOS - Switch Outputs with SYS,

Skill level: basic soldering and screw-driving skills
Tools needed: Philips screwdriver, X-ACTO Knife, soldering iron, solder, flux, single-strand copper wire AWG 28-30
Time required: 1-2 hours

1. Cut the 2 printed conductors connecting the pot with the switch on the top side of the board:

2. Cut the 2 printed conductors on the bottom side of the board connecting Input 1 with the switch. Install jumpers as shown:

3. Finished product:

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
PUSH BUTTON : FIXED OUTPUT     : VARIABLE OUTPUT
Out         : Disconnected     : Connected to IN1 via pot (no change)
In          : Hardwired to IN1 : Disconnected

Not wanting a variable out just want to use it as a one in two out switch box , what's the procedure on that ? Just cut the tracks across the volume pot and link the tracks ?

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #202 of 231
The easiest is to fully bypass the pot and use the output as input, and 2 inputs as switchable outputs. Do the same cuts on the top side. Bottom side is different, do not do any cuts/jumpers in my original mod, instead you need to cut the traces between the pot and the output and jump the output over to the middle pins of the switch.

DSC_3158a.jpg

Or you can just turn up the volume to the max and use the SYS in reverse as-is which is what has been suggested before, realistically there should be no sound degradation. I modded mine mainly because I needed one variable output and one fixed.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #203 of 231
The easiest is to fully bypass the pot and use the output as input, and 2 inputs as switchable outputs. Do the same cuts on the top side. Bottom side is different, do not do any cuts/jumpers in my original mod, instead you need to cut the traces between the pot and the output and jump the output over to the middle pins of the switch.

Or you can just turn up the volume to the max and use the SYS in reverse as-is which is what has been suggested before, realistically there should be no sound degradation. I modded mine mainly because I needed one variable output and one fixed.

Thanks, I know most people are just saying use a Y split but after working out cost of making them ( decent cabling and plugs) it worked out an extra £5 to get the SYS and it does look nice in the stack with the rest of the schiit.

Aug 24, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #205 of 231
You do need more cables with the SYS though which adds to the cost...

True but I was going to make up my own short Rca's anyway with this cable ( which is highly recommended )
Sommer SC-SPIRIT LLX "LOW LOSS" Instrument Cable. Low Capacitance.
With some decent gold plated copper mini RCA plugs I've sourced, always make my own after buying mid range to high end cables years ago to find out the general quality was poor, anything from cheap connectors on good cable and flux residue left on the soldered area to just plain bad soldering. After years in the electronic defence industry working to mil spec standards your eyes pick up the most minute details and I'm a bit of an ocd / perfectionist so I want to know my cables are not ruining the set up. " It's ok or good enough" don't cut it with me, kids grown up so I've got to spend my money on something :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back