Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #46 of 306
I picked up the valhalla2 used from a Reddit member, should be here on Monday, along with a bunch of tubes. I can’t wait to try them with my LCD-3s.
I really enjoy and love the combination of Valhalla II and Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms!). With the gain setting at low (and the output impedance equal to 3-1/2 ohms), no frequency response aberrations - just 🎶🎶.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #47 of 306
I really enjoy and love the combination of Valhalla II and Audeze LCD-X (20 ohms!). With the gain setting at low (and the output impedance equal to 3-1/2 ohms), no frequency response aberrations - just 🎶🎶.

I have a pair of the 2021 XCs -- I will give them a listen too.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #48 of 306
What benefit do you get running a tube Valhalla as a preamp to your speaker tube power amp? Just curious as I'll be getting a Valhalla soon as a 2nd amp, but would be interested in seeing what versatility it has as a preamp too!
Hey.. my apologies for the lack of response until now :frowning2:
totally missed the notification... sorry.

I never had a "separate" setup until I started playing with the combo Bifrost, Vallhalla 2 and Hercules poweramp... My "experience" previous to that was with a Sony home theater solid state receiver... So, my opinion might not be too "deep".

I love the Grado GS1000i and it sings... :) so, thought, why not try the Valhalla 2 as a preamp, just because "I can", hehe Super glad I did... Not sure if I'll ever "upgrade" my system... unless I really have better speakers... which I don't think I need/want any time soon... (Using KEF Q700's)

Stay safe!

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #49 of 306
I picked up the valhalla2 used from a Reddit member, should be here on Monday, along with a bunch of tubes. I can’t wait to try them with my LCD-3s.
Hey! Welcome to the club... I find it the "perfect" amp for me... great "looks" and performance. :)
The "only" upgrade for me that made it even better is the get "socket savers/risers"... it gets keep it cooler... and gives me an even "cooler" eye candy.

stay safe!

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #50 of 306
Apologies if this is the wrong place - but I have a question about how the Valhalla 2 should function.

I have it hooked up to my Modi 3+ (which is connected to my Mac using USB) - and it's incredibly quiet. With both system and individual application volume at 100, and the amp on low gain, max volume, the headphone volume is... listenable, though not loud by any means... switching the amp to high gain, everything is even quieter (which, I believe this is supposed to function the opposite way?) I tried this with the HD 6XX as well as the HE-4XX - the 6XX is slightly louder than the 4XX, but both otherwise behave the same, and the 4XX never gets up to a comfortable listening volume. I also tried different RCA cables and a different source (iPad) to make sure they behaved the same. I've also made sure all of the tubes are seated properly and lit up. Thanks!

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #51 of 306
Apologies if this is the wrong place - but I have a question about how the Valhalla 2 should function.

I have it hooked up to my Modi 3+ (which is connected to my Mac using USB) - and it's incredibly quiet. With both system and individual application volume at 100, and the amp on low gain, max volume, the headphone volume is... listenable, though not loud by any means... switching the amp to high gain, everything is even quieter (which, I believe this is supposed to function the opposite way?) I tried this with the HD 6XX as well as the HE-4XX - the 6XX is slightly louder than the 4XX, but both otherwise behave the same, and the 4XX never gets up to a comfortable listening volume. I also tried different RCA cables and a different source (iPad) to make sure they behaved the same. I've also made sure all of the tubes are seated properly and lit up. Thanks!
With the HD6XX., about 10-o'clock should be more than loud enough for most recordings. It sounds like a software or interface problem. Have you tried different software players and using exclusive mode?

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #52 of 306
With the HD6XX., about 10-o'clock should be more than loud enough for most recordings. It sounds like a software or interface problem. Have you tried different software players and using exclusive mode?

I have tried a few different software players and all behave the same. I did a search for exclusive mode, and it looks like this is a Windows setting? I'm running Mac OS and don't see anything similar.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #53 of 306
I have tried a few different software players and all behave the same. I did a search for exclusive mode, and it looks like this is a Windows setting? I'm running Mac OS and don't see anything similar.
It's typically a setting available in the software player. Tidal, qobuz, roon and audirvana all offer it regardless of OS, IIRC.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #55 of 306
So I just bought a used Valhalla 2. Just waiting for it to arrive. It will come with the stock tubes and a set of Amperex 7308 Orange globe from the 1960s. This will be my first tube amp and it will be paired with HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus. For now I will be using the DAC in my Marantz HD-DAC1 HP amp. If all goes well I will sell the HD-DAC1 which means i will need to look for another DAC. Any suggestions and will the Valhalla 2 be a good pairing for my headphones. I listen mostly to lossless files or direct from CD.

Aug 1, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #56 of 306
So I just bought a used Valhalla 2. Just waiting for it to arrive. It will come with the stock tubes and a set of Amperex 7308 Orange globe from the 1960s. This will be my first tube amp and it will be paired with HD6XX and ZMF Aeolus. For now I will be using the DAC in my Marantz HD-DAC1 HP amp. If all goes well I will sell the HD-DAC1 which means i will need to look for another DAC. Any suggestions and will the Valhalla 2 be a good pairing for my headphones. I listen mostly to lossless files or direct from CD.
I don’t have an answer for you, but the valhalla2 even with stock tubes, changed my life. I’m driving the lcd-3s with this setup via the möbius dac. I also have the magnius which is also damn good.

I have a smattering of old us and Russian tubes to eventually try.

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #57 of 306
I don’t have an answer for you, but the valhalla2 even with stock tubes, changed my life. I’m driving the lcd-3s with this setup via the möbius dac. I also have the magnius which is also damn good.

I have a smattering of old us and Russian tubes to eventually try.

How does the Magnius compare with the Valhalla 2? What should I be looking for if I wanted to get other tubes?

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #58 of 306
I’ve owned the HD6XX for 3+ years and have used both a Van Alstine Insight preamp & Topping DX3-Pro dac/amp to drive it with very enjoyable results. It was more out of curiosity than any type of dissatisfaction that I ordered a Valhalla 2 in June. The Valhalla 2 has been quite a revelation as to what the HD6XX are capable of in delivering high quality sound. I first noticed that the bass became full and solid which fleshed out the entire presentation of music for me. I also noticed an increased presence and life to the music. As much as the HD6XX had increased my involvement in music listening, the Valhalla has doubled down on that!

It is my first experience with an OTL Tube product, but I’m sold. The right tool for the job fits my experience with the Valhalla 2. I use the stock tubes, high gain setting & at least 15min of warm up time. I hope you have a similar experience!

Aug 1, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #59 of 306
I’ve owned the HD6XX for 3+ years and have used both a Van Alstine Insight preamp & Topping DX3-Pro dac/amp to drive it with very enjoyable results. It was more out of curiosity than any type of dissatisfaction that I ordered a Valhalla 2 in June. The Valhalla 2 has been quite a revelation as to what the HD6XX are capable of in delivering high quality sound. I first noticed that the bass became full and solid which fleshed out the entire presentation of music for me. I also noticed an increased presence and life to the music. As much as the HD6XX had increased my involvement in music listening, the Valhalla has doubled down on that!

It is my first experience with an OTL Tube product, but I’m sold. The right tool for the job fits my experience with the Valhalla 2. I use the stock tubes, high gain setting & at least 15min of warm up time. I hope you have a similar experience!

Well I do know the Sennheiser 6 series is just about the perfect pairing for tubes. I have Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads on my HD6XX. Do you think high gain is better? I have never needed to use mid or high gain on any HP amp so far. Low gain has been plenty for me as I never go past "noon" on the volume dial. I will try stock tubes first when I get the amp. What is the best way to remove and insert the tubes?

Aug 1, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #60 of 306
You will love Senn & ZMF on Valhalla 2. I'd recommend Bifrost 2 for your DAC - it's good enough to be most people's endgame and it complements Valhalla's strengths beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back