Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 28, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #9,541 of 12,406
So after receiving the unit i sent in (it appears there was just something disconnected inside the dac), i have had the Yggy burning in for almost 2 weeks now. It definitely sounds better than it did a week ago. I am very impressed and can finally accept that a good DAC makes a difference in your setup. But i do have to say that the law of diminishing returns definitely plays a role - at least with dacs anyway. Coming from an ifi micro iDSD and chord mojo, the Yggy definitely is better and i'd easily accept the price difference between them. However, i don't think the Yggy is 4 to 5 times better than those two. Either way, i'm happy to say that the Yggy is my endgame dac for the foreseeable future as i just don't believe a dac costing 3-4 times more than the Yggy could be significantly better.
Cost has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #9,542 of 12,406
Cost has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality.
Er... The correlation between cost and quality may get weaker as cost increases, but a very recent experience with a system 3x cost my absolutely-not-cheap current 2 channel system (Roon>USBridge>Yggy A2>Hegel H360>KEF Ref 1+REL t7i) taught me (and, more significantly, my musical, keen-eared, and totally unimpressed by tech wife) that some very high cost systems work on a different plane.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #9,543 of 12,406
So after receiving the unit i sent in (it appears there was just something disconnected inside the dac), i have had the Yggy burning in for almost 2 weeks now. It definitely sounds better than it did a week ago. I am very impressed and can finally accept that a good DAC makes a difference in your setup. But i do have to say that the law of diminishing returns definitely plays a role - at least with dacs anyway. Coming from an ifi micro iDSD and chord mojo, the Yggy definitely is better and i'd easily accept the price difference between them. However, i don't think the Yggy is 4 to 5 times better than those two. Either way, i'm happy to say that the Yggy is my endgame dac for the foreseeable future as i just don't believe a dac costing 3-4 times more than the Yggy could be significantly better.
It has been stated before but, give it more time…
"almost 2 weeks" isn't nearly enough.

Just say'n is all.

JJ

Aug 2, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #9,545 of 12,406
Hi guys, it seems I will be joining the Yggy club soon as my unit will arrive in a few days. I've ordered a new unit, so it will be USB Gen5 and Analog 2. I have a question about the inputs of the Yggy.

Which input will be better between the USB and SPDIF?
Option 1 (Preferred):

Buy a DigiOne Signature Player to use with Volumio and connect it to the Yggy via SPDIF cable. John Darko has a really positive review on the unit on YouTube (combined with other positive reviews on the Internet). This is my preffered method to connect to the Yggy because it includes less devices and the USB input will stay free and I could use it for other purposes in the future.

Option 2:
Buy a USB converted and/or purifier for less then 400 euro (360 pounds, 440 dollars) and use my current transport - ASUS Mini PC PN40 with Volumio. In this way I could use a purified USB input or a USB signal converted to some of the other Yggy inputs.

Option 3:
Something else?

And I have another question about cables. Basically, I'm not a believer that cables make a lot of difference, but just for the peace of mind and aestetics I intent to get better cables. I've seen people recommending Blue Jeans cables, but they seem to sell only from US and I'm in Europe. That makes them more expensive and will possibly lead to customs complications. I find the Audioquest Red River cables compelling because I know the company is fameous for it's cables and I like the aesteticts. Hovewer ever this is a bit too expensive. Their XLR Red River interconnects are 120 pounds (145 dollars, 130 euro) and that is the higher I would go in terms of price for cables. Is this a good choice?

So, can you please make some suggestions for relatively cheap good cables preferrably shipped from Europe?

And now some more info about my desicion to get the Yggy. I was at CanJam London recently and I have tried some Schit gear for the first time (along with other high quality equipment). I found that I really liked how the Schiit multibit gear sounds with my HD800S headphones. Mostly, I was impressed with the Nexus Ragnarok 2 Nexus multibit. Also, I liked the Jotunheim multibit. Problem is neither of their top DACs were on display and I had to choose between the Gumby and Yggy without audiotioning them first.

I know some people prefer the Gumby and it's almost half the price of the Yggy. On the other hand a lot of the comparisons between them compare the Analog 1 version of Yggy and it's been said that the Analog 2 is a noticable improvement. Maybe I just need some reassurace that I have made the right choice with the Yggy. Worst case scenario, I can return it in two weeks period.

My current gear is ASUS Mini PC PN40 with Volumio => Fiio X3 II DAP (Used as a DAC) => Violectric V281 Amp => Sennheiser HD800S Headphones.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #9,546 of 12,406
If you're getting a new Ygg with USB Gen 5, then I wouldn't mess with it until Baldr releases the next USB upgrade. If it's as good as expected, then external purifier/converter boxes will be mostly obsolete. Or if you feel the urge to spend money now, just buy a Schiit EITR.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #9,547 of 12,406
On two of my desktop PC's, I bought the Lynx Souncards and hook both Yggy's (I'm still on Gen1 and USB 3 for now) up with AES. Sounds nice! But, from reading here and there, it seems Gen 5 caught up with AES and sounds just as good. That seems to be the consensus anyway. Since I've already made the investment, I continue to leave the Yggy's hooked up to the Lynx soundcards via AES.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #9,548 of 12,406
Hi guys, it seems I will be joining the Yggy club soon as my unit will arrive in a few days. I've ordered a new unit, so it will be USB Gen5 and Analog 2. I have a question about the inputs of the Yggy.

Option 1 (Preferred):

Buy a DigiOne Signature Player to use with Volumio and connect it to the Yggy via SPDIF cable. John Darko has a really positive review on the unit on YouTube (combined with other positive reviews on the Internet). This is my preffered method to connect to the Yggy because it includes less devices and the USB input will stay free and I could use it for other purposes in the future.

Option 2:
Buy a USB converted and/or purifier for less then 400 euro (360 pounds, 440 dollars) and use my current transport - ASUS Mini PC PN40 with Volumio. In this way I could use a purified USB input or a USB signal converted to some of the other Yggy inputs.

Option 3:
Something else?

And I have another question about cables. Basically, I'm not a believer that cables make a lot of difference, but just for the peace of mind and aestetics I intent to get better cables. I've seen people recommending Blue Jeans cables, but they seem to sell only from US and I'm in Europe. That makes them more expensive and will possibly lead to customs complications. I find the Audioquest Red River cables compelling because I know the company is fameous for it's cables and I like the aesteticts. Hovewer ever this is a bit too expensive. Their XLR Red River interconnects are 120 pounds (145 dollars, 130 euro) and that is the higher I would go in terms of price for cables. Is this a good choice?

So, can you please make some suggestions for relatively cheap good cables preferrably shipped from Europe?

And now some more info about my desicion to get the Yggy. I was at CanJam London recently and I have tried some Schit gear for the first time (along with other high quality equipment). I found that I really liked how the Schiit multibit gear sounds with my HD800S headphones. Mostly, I was impressed with the Nexus Ragnarok 2 Nexus multibit. Also, I liked the Jotunheim multibit. Problem is neither of their top DACs were on display and I had to choose between the Gumby and Yggy without audiotioning them first.

I know some people prefer the Gumby and it's almost half the price of the Yggy. On the other hand a lot of the comparisons between them compare the Analog 1 version of Yggy and it's been said that the Analog 2 is a noticable improvement. Maybe I just need some reassurace that I have made the right choice with the Yggy. Worst case scenario, I can return it in two

My current gear is ASUS Mini PC PN40 with Volumio => Fiio X3 II DAP (Used as a DAC) => Violectric V281 Amp => Sennheiser HD800S Headphones.

Thank you.
Re Blue Jeans cables, have a look here: www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/index.htm, prices should include any duties etc.

I use an Yggdrasil and I think you'll be very happy with it. I agree with crazychile, wait for the USB update before spending money on a converter, especially if the 'buy better gear' light isn't illuminated :)

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #9,549 of 12,406
On two of my desktop PC's, I bought the Lynx Souncards and hook both Yggy's (I'm still on Gen1 and USB 3 for now) up with AES. Sounds nice! But, from reading here and there, it seems Gen 5 caught up with AES and sounds just as good. That seems to be the consensus anyway. Since I've already made the investment, I continue to leave the Yggy's hooked up to the Lynx soundcards via AES.

I have Gen5 and to me AES is still better. A fuller sound that is more relaxed.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #9,550 of 12,406

This is the impression I get from my Analog 2 USB-5 version as well, although, I feel that feeding my Yggy with the Metrum Acoustics Ambre (as opposed to other streamers) via the AES port might also have something to do with it. I think the AES (fed by the Metrum Ambre [modded])definitely outperforms the USB5 connectivity (when fed by the Sonore Ultrarendu, for example)... Of course other mileages may vary.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #9,551 of 12,406

Option 1 (Preferred):

Option 2:

Option 3:
Something else?

I know some people prefer the Gumby and it's almost half the price of the Yggy. On the other hand a lot of the comparisons between them compare the Analog 1 version of Yggy and it's been said that the Analog 2 is a noticable improvement. Maybe I just need some reassurace that I have made the right choice with the Yggy. Worst case scenario, I can return it in two weeks period.

Thank you.

My opinion is that with your great amp and cans, you will realize a staggering improvement in retrieving gobs of information from digital music files with Yggy Gen5 Analog 2. I agree with @crazychile about not messing with any outboard USB boxes since Schiit's proprietary USB is coming.

As one who fiddled with too many USB cleaners & decrapifiers for years, I know that I never had pristine file delivery until I abandoned USB completely and went with Dante Ethernet/AES into Yggy. But I wouldn't recommend that from scratch to anyone now (too much $ and other issues to resolve) until Schiit's (Unison?) USB is released and evaluated.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #9,552 of 12,406

That's good to read! I really like the AES sound as well.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #9,553 of 12,406
If you're getting a new Ygg with USB Gen 5, then I wouldn't mess with it until Baldr releases the next USB upgrade. If it's as good as expected, then external purifier/converter boxes will be mostly obsolete. Or if you feel the urge to spend money now, just buy a Schiit EITR.
Eitr and Gen 5 are the same thing though.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #9,554 of 12,406
Once I upgraded my network players (to Sonore Ultrarendu) I found the Gen 5 USB input to sound the best on Yggdrasil. I still use AES for mty CD transport but am using it less and less these days. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back