Sennheiser 600: How can I get some more bass and punch?
May 27, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd R
I'm leaning towards a different amp. I have already owned an Earmax Pro, X-Cans, original Home, and Audio Alchemy HPA-1.

So how was the bass with the EMP? If there's still not enough, I think you're a basshead.
wink.gif

Quote:

I'll try removing the material covering the drivers, but I have a feeling that will just make them brighter.

Don't do it if it's bass you're after! It sounds leaner without the foam pads.

gerG...

...thanks for the EQ curve! To me it was always clear that the myth of the HD 600's recessed upper mids is just a myth. In fact they're even emphasized, in contrast to the treble, especially at 8 kHz.

peacesign.gif

May 27, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #17 of 27
I suggest that you try a different amp, perhaps an Audiovalve RKV. If you're looking for dynamics, the Headroom amp isn't it. Also, some people have commented that the CNR cables are of a laid back nature. Maybe try some silver ones?

If you are crazy enough, read about power cords and their results with Cary CD players on AudioAsylum, they're said to bring out the bass more.

May 28, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I suggest that you try a different amp, perhaps an Audiovalve RKV. If you're looking for dynamics, the Headroom amp isn't it.

If you are crazy enough, read about power cords and their results with Cary CD players on AudioAsylum, they're said to bring out the bass more.

Thanks,
Got a link for the RKV?
I already have a Harmonic Technology Fantasy AC 10 cord on my CD player (and My amp and on my Richard Gray Power Center).....It rocks. One of the best power cords I have ever tried.

May 28, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Todd R
Thanks,
Got a link for the RKV?
I already have a Harmonic Technology Fantasy AC 10 cord on my CD player (and My amp and on my Richard Gray Power Center).....It rocks. One of the best power cords I have ever tried.

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/

Best price I know, AND you're supporting Head-Fi in the process
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

May 28, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #20 of 27
To be quite honest, hd600s and the headroom amps do offer quite a bit of bass punch. Maybe you should try the RKV? Although I haven't heard the RKV, it is reputed by many to be a bass monster. Personally though, I've found that one of headroom's strengths is the bass punch.
confused.gif

May 28, 2003 at 1:54 AM Post #22 of 27
Have you considered trying different cables? Virtual Dynamics makes cables with great punch and bass; maybe try their interconnects and/or power cables? I wouldn't go any lower than the Audition line.

Just a thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #23 of 27
Todd, what Grados did you try? I'm kinda in the same boat as you, although I'm not disapointed with the bass performance of my 600's (more than enough w/ the OTL on my MG Head) - but I would like a more lively, forward sound perhaps. I was thinking of trying out a pair of SR-225's or something.

I've thought about A1000's or CD3000s too.. but right now I don't wanna spend the money for CD3000's - and they're so damned big and ugly.. A1000's I could try.

-dd3mon

May 28, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 27
While the RKV will give you a lot more bass it may, or may not be the type of bass you are looking for. Also, the RKV sounds nothing like the MOH. You will be giving up some speed, and bass control going to the RKV. Both of these amps are wonderful sounding just in a different way.

May 28, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
I suggest that you try a different amp, perhaps an Audiovalve RKV. If you're looking for dynamics, the Headroom amp isn't it.

Obviously A&M has never heard a Maxed Out Home, Max, or BlockHead with the HD 600. No dynamics? LOL

As I said earlier, and many others have agreed, if the MOH isn't giving you enough "punch" or "bass" with the HD 600, another amp really isn't going to satisfy you. A few models might give you a bit more bass, but it won't be any major transformation.

In addition, with the RKV you'll be giving up other things, such as tightness in the bass (you'll get more bass, but not necessarily more "punch") and (IMO) detail and speed.

May 28, 2003 at 11:16 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
Todd, what Grados did you try? I'm kinda in the same boat as you, although I'm not disapointed with the bass performance of my 600's (more than enough w/ the OTL on my MG Head) - but I would like a more lively, forward sound perhaps. I was thinking of trying out a pair of SR-225's or something.

-dd3mon

I have tried several models, including the RS-1 most recently.
Apparently they don't mate up well with my Headroom amp. I have heard them with the "Official" Grado amp and they sounded good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back