Sennheiser HD 300 Pro Review and Impressions Thread (HD 250 Linear Revival )
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 167
Initially I glossed over this announcement, not particularily interested in another mediocre pro-can. That is, until I saw that it was based on the HD250 Linear.

I have recently become a pretty big fan of the HD250, namely due to how open, dynamic, and revealing they are. And being an older closed-back, it is pretty incredible how HD250 manages to sound so spacious and uncoloured. The balance of tone and presentation of details is buttery, and sometimes I thought I was wearing a newer, open-backed model. Yes, it can be compared favourably with modern headphones in so many ways.

It seems to me that that the guys at Sennheiser really knew what they were doing. I once said screw them, for no longer making headphones like the HD250 Linear. However if they manage to pull it off this with these sets, I'll be happier than ever to eat my words.

We live in interesting times. :)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 167
Initially I glossed over this announcement, not particularily interested in another mediocre pro-can. That is, until I saw that it was based on the HD250 Linear.

If youre a fan of the HD250 then youre ahead of the game.I honestly do not know of a more under appreciated headphone.The AKG Sextetts are great,but they have a well deserved cult following.It seems like theres only a few of us here that know about just how good the 250s sound...and if youre not using tubes,you havent really heard them at their full potential.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 167
Apr 17, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #20 of 167
Wow, how old are the HD26's?

Not very old. The HD26, took over the role of the Hd25 for broadcasters and ENG.

The HD300 while bulkier, will be optimal for different settings and environments - not to mention the sound quality.

My guess, is it will be easy to drive. Likely, less than 150ohm and decent sensitivity. Technically, it will be fine. Sony MDR-7520, for instance was very professional, had excellent sound quality and was extremely efficient. Sennheiser HD630VB- fairly efficient- just skirting the line that it plays well on phones with some benefit on dedicated amps.

It would be great to have the 250 sound on the go.

Sennheiser didn’t have to create these and I’m quite surprised (thankful) that they have. I’m not sure how well the HD6, HD7, and HD8 faired , and then they already have the HD 280, HD 380, plus HD 25 and HD 26.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #21 of 167
Not very old. The HD26, took over the roll of the Hd25 for broadcasters and ENG.

The HD300 while bulkier, will be optimal for different settings and environments - not to mention the sound quality.

My guess, is it to be easy to drive. Less than 150ohm and decent sensitivity. Technically, it will be fine. Sony MDR-7520, very professional and excellent quality and extremely efficient. Sennheiser HD630VB- fairly efficient- just skirting the line that it plays well on phones with some benefit on dedicated amps.

Sennheiser didn’t have to create these and I’m quite surprised (thankful) that they have. I’m not sure how well the HD6, HD7, and HD8 faired , then they already have the HD 280, HD 380, plus HD 25 and HD 26.
Well, that certainly would be interesting then, if they can keep the impedance low AND keep the famous linearity intact. I haven't really enjoyed Sennheiser's "improvements" that much over the last few years (decades?), much preferring the musical life and joy the HD250/HD540s so easily present for our enjoyment. My 'new' HD250s seem to be almost improving every couple of hours :) They have sprung to life and the bass has gained focus and speed, goes to show that the drivers like to be used and not sat in a box for years. The sheer unadulterated rhythmic pace and life they brought to Larry Carlton and Robben Forde this afternoon just left me grinning in pleasure. Brilliant!

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #23 of 167
I think the HD 250 Linear II I just got feel cheap and look ugly, but man, do they sound good... my favorite closed cans right now! :D And they're pretty darn comfy, too....

IMG_0084.JPG

May 11, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #25 of 167
I've just had a big Eureka moment with my HD250 Linear 1s last night, as I finally got them right. All the pads I'd used until then varied between great moments and blech, but not consistently excellent ... until the arrival of the HD430s, which I had originally intended to use for parts, headband, pads, rings. They are in such good nick I tried to really enjoy them as they were, but they were so reticent in the lower bass no matter what combo of cable and pads, that I went back to plan A. Took the headband and pads with their rings, perfect fit! Made sure the HD400 foam pads were centred correctly (to replace the rare inner original concave foams) and the new pleather pads from the HD430s just clipped right in there. Add Mogami cable and holy moly do these things now sound right! The bass now goes as genuinely deeep as the HD540 Ref1s (not as stock) and has loads of detail with that, taut, weighty and extremely rhythmic, just like the Ref1s. Mids and top end are so even and lacking in edge or spit without being soft, articulate, that I am now really loving these cans, just when I was almost ready to give up on them. Just a touch of mid bass plum, yet there's no reduction in detail for that. Plenty of stage depth too, surprisingly so. Stunning for closed back cans.
I've learnt a lot from my Sennheiser and recording tech pal, especially finding that it is essential to get those concave foams (difficult) or do the next best thing, as I've had to do, order a set of HD400 foam pads from Sennheiser (as the foam density is genuine Senn and not cheap Chinese) and use them instead. They are almost a perfect height in both the edges (around 12mm) and centre, at around 1-2mm. The raised edges allow the bass to flow correctly around the pads from the bass tube behind the driver, this is what creates the linear bass response and now that I've heard the difference between having it right and not so, just do it! I'm shocked at the difference. Plus, the pleather pads from the HD430s are a perfect match, the leather 'orhpolsters' for the HD250 thicken the mid bass and don't allow the bass energy to flow correctly. The pics below will explain. And make sure you have the white felt rings, these are crucial! I hope they're useful for someone. I've heard that some folks take out the bass ports and fiddle around with the capsules, but really, now that I'm hearing them properly as they are, I'm certainly not going to bother with any more shagging around with them, they truly are remarkably Linear :)
If you're missing the correct foams, I have put the eBay address below to pick up a set of the HD400 pads. The pics of my own Linear 1s show clearly the thick edge of the HD400 pads peeking from below the edge of the pleather pads.
My own HD250 Linear 1s seem particularly cable sensitive. Best by far is the Mogami cable (available from Venus Audio on eBay)! Wide and deep s/stage (where present in the recording), a natural openness, beautifully even from the deepest bass to the very top end, gorgeous vocal naturalness.
Trailing somewhat behind, with it's narrowed s/stage and lessened bass quality, comes the HD6xx stock cable (it has the same effect on the HD6xx, BTW, just slightly less so). Lastly, by some distance comes the stock cable that came with the HD430s, which is the same as the stock HD540 cable and from what I've seen with the early HD250s - anaemic, upper mid edgy, narrowed s/stage, bass light. Blech!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EARPAD-FOR-HD400-410-414SLM-PK2-SENNHEISER/272461321916?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

HD_250_Exploded_view_-_English.JPG IMG_6866.JPG P5114887.jpg P5114888.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #26 of 167
Updated / Corrected:

HD 250 Linear_II_english-v2PNG.png

May 11, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #28 of 167
May 17, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #29 of 167
Looks like a reskinned HD280pro.

Yeah..this

The HD 280 and 380 Pro models are priced at $99.99 and $149.99, respectively. So it’s likely the new 300 Pro models will be in a similar price range, with more expensive options for additional features. The 300 Pro line will likely compete with something like the Beyerdynamic DT 240headphones, which are also aimed at content creators on the go.

- -

The following always worries me slightly:

that are designed for professional 'content creators' = always makes me think of bearded man bunned folks who own a Rega turntable because they have read somewhere it is cool :)

(no amp or speakers though !!)

I saw an interview recently with the head of Sennheiser who was essentially saying 'we are making headphones for mp3 phone using people who have never heard good audio let alone have any interest in quality'

Also,as a someone who works with audio professionally, whenever a company as huge as Sennheiser feels they have to add the word PRO onto a product....that worries me!

Anyhoo, still VERY interested in this news. crosses fingers

PS: Please let me review one Sennheiser :D

Ya, made for dem bedroom djs

Otherwise, old Senn is just keeping up with the times as far as the "pro" in the name. I dislike that "pro" gets thrown around for consumer junk so much and haphazardly, but it is just a slight gripe.

Not very old. The HD26, took over the role of the Hd25 for broadcasters and ENG.

My guess, is it will be easy to drive. Likely, less than 150ohm and decent sensitivity. Technically, it will be fine. Sony MDR-7520, for instance was very professional, had excellent sound quality and was extremely efficient. Sennheiser HD630VB- fairly efficient- just skirting the line that it plays well on phones with some benefit on dedicated amps.

Sennheiser didn’t have to create these and I’m quite surprised (thankful) that they have. I’m not sure how well the HD6, HD7, and HD8 faired , and then they already have the HD 280, HD 380, plus HD 25 and HD 26.
Well, HD6 is mediocre, echo-y, and has veiled bass, while HD8 is badass and boasts a deeply-resolving midrange. I modified mine to eliminate bass boom, and it has surprisingly holographic soundstaging for a closed-back Senn.
HD7 is discontinued.
I'm not sure how these headphones have faired commercially, but they aren't popular here. Then Tyll oddly complained that they are "too colored" for music listening, yet he has made good remarks about much more colored-sounding Ultrasones, so no chance for FotM status and thus more popularity across the web, which HD8 deserves.

May 30, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #30 of 167
Hey Guys! Is HD 300 supposed to be better than HD 280 and worse than HD 380 Pro? Or is it supposed to be better than both?

I used to own the HD 280s, and really liked them. However, if HD 300 is not supposed to be better than HD 380s, then I might as well by the HD 380s now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back