Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #6,316 of 7,535
Female vocals tend to be a bit more forward than the rest of the sound spectrum with the 598s.

Funny that you say this just after I finished lamenting my issues with female vocal driven music. I swear I must have defective ears
frown.gif

May 26, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #6,317 of 7,535
I'm thinking there are QC issues with these headphones. I know everyone's ears are different, but my SE's have solid bass and don't distort at high volume. I use HD650's in my main rig, and always say damn, these things sound good for the money when I put on the HD598se's...

Agree about possible QC issues.  My SE's had noticeably weaker bass and forward highs than my Ivory 598s.  I think we kind of established in this thread that not all 598s are going to sound identical.

May 26, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #6,318 of 7,535
Funny that you say this just after I finished lamenting my issues with female vocal driven music. I swear I must have defective ears :frowning2:

I think you should exchange them. It really sounds like the drivers are wired out of phase to me from your description.

Listen to each driver on its own and see how it sounds. It you have a balance knob you're set, if not take one side off and listen. If it sounds good, they're wired wrong internally

May 26, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #6,319 of 7,535

Funny that you say this just after I finished lamenting my issues with female vocal driven music. I swear I must have defective ears
frown.gif

I've read all of your recent posts, and honestly, I don't know if your hearing is "damaged" but it sure sounds like your hearing tuned to a specific sound signature.  It sounds to me like you need to listen at loud volumes (louder than most folks) and/or have cans that have a very forward/engaging sound.  Anything other than that, it sounds distant, boring, or flat to you.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, because there isn't.  We all hear a bit differently.  It's just that the 598s may not be for you.

I'm pretty much the opposite.  Before getting the 598s, I rarely listened using headphones and never at high volumes.  My sense of hearing was very acute and I could pick up quiet/distant sounds more easily than most people I know.  Therefore, the 598s, with their relaxed, laid back sound signature, were perfect for me.  Their sound is not pushed or forced at you.  They sing, they don't shout.  And because of my sensitive hearing, it allows me to hear deeper into the music, more detail.  Because at high volume, with any cans, the various sounds start to collide with each other, competing with each other, for your hearing.  Basically, to deal with the loudness, your ears can no longer pick up on the fine nuances, and details of the music.  Some people listen just below the pain threshold, and this is not healthy for anyone's hearing.

Anyway, I'm off on a rant.  These may not be for you.  You can try listening to them exclusively for a few weeks at lower volumes and see if you get used to them, before returning/exchanging them.

Good luck!

May 26, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #6,320 of 7,535

I've read all of your recent posts, and honestly, I don't know if your hearing is "damaged" but it sure sounds like your hearing tuned to a specific sound signature.  It sounds to me like you need to listen at loud volumes (louder than most folks) and/or have cans that have a very forward/engaging sound.  Anything other than that, it sounds distant, boring, or flat to you.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, because there isn't.  We all hear a bit differently.  It's just that the 598s may not be for you.

I'm pretty much the opposite.  Before getting the 598s, I rarely listened using headphones and never at high volumes.  My sense of hearing was very acute and I could pick up quiet/distant sounds more easily than most people I know.  Therefore, the 598s, with their relaxed, laid back sound signature, were perfect for me.  Their sound is not pushed or forced at you.  They sing, they don't shout.  And because of my sensitive hearing, it allows me to hear deeper into the music, more detail.  Because at high volume, with any cans, the various sounds start to collide with each other, competing with each other, for your hearing.  Basically, to deal with the loudness, your ears can no longer pick up on the fine nuances, and details of the music.  Some people listen just below the pain threshold, and this is not healthy for anyone's hearing.

Anyway, I'm off on a rant.  These may not be for you.  You can try listening to them exclusively for a few weeks at lower volumes and see if you get used to them, before returning/exchanging them.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm starting to think my ears must be damaged in some way. I honestly don't think the drivers are defective, I think the chances of out of phase wiring are pretty low, but then again, I bought a laptop once which had the ram modules installed wrong and it wouldn't boot giving an error about incorrectly installed modules, so yeah, anything can happen.

I'm going to first of all test the headphones properly tomorrow using various sources. Right now I used my phone and my newer PC. My older gaming PC has a pci soundcard, a Xonar something IIRC, I didn't install it on my new rig because the case is smaller and I couldn't really hear any difference between the two at the time. I also have a pretty nice hi-fi sound system by Technics in the basement, it's from the nineties but I'm pretty sure it was very high end at the time, with Dolby Pro Logic II and 5 speakers, if it still works I'm going to test the headphones on it after burning some flacs to a CD. I'm also going to leave them playing to burn them in a bit tomorrow.

By the way, if I press them very hard to my head, I like the sound more. What do you think about this?

May 26, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #6,321 of 7,535
Funny how you say the "SE" model was bad for you and not the ivory ones. I got slammed here ( by some kid probably ) for saying the se's were made specially for Amazon for their black Friday special ( which they were ) and maybe they were not made to the same standards as the ivory ones. Possibly different plants making them. My pair of se's had zero bass. I could not believe how bad they sounded. People keep saying these are not for bassheads. Excuse me, the bass guitar is part of the band/song. Their may or may not be something between the two models.

May 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #6,322 of 7,535

Quote:
  Ugh... I don't understand. Listened to the 598 for 2 hours, then put on my miserable, puny, FIVE BUCKS ( + 3 shipping) Chinese earbuds and they sounded way, way, way better (I'm obviously talking about the VE Monk). The bass is there, the vocals are forward, everything is tight and resonating to near perfection, it's just ridiculous. I can hear all the details on the Monk and I can hear it even better on the 598, but they sound hollow, compressed. The voices are distant and muffled somehow. 

It's so weird because I can hear the tiniest background details very clearly and yet the main instruments and vocals are recessed. Such as the clock ticking sound from Starvation by Thomas Bergersen (flac), I could hear that background sound and the main tune was recessed, like what is even happening here? I can hear the clock as well using the Monk but it's merged with the rest of the music, on the 598 is totally separated and somehow more forward than the main melody.

It sounds like that's the HD598's bigger soundstage kicking in.  And layering.  Different sounds come from different areas and different depths.  Especially left-right on the HD598 since its soundstage is very wide.  

It also sounds like the mids are recessed on the HD598 compared to the Monk.  That wouldn't necessarily be good or bad, just different.

All sounds "are merged with the rest of the music" is a criticism I have for certain cheap "giant killer" headphones.  They sound very good, but they lack things like layering (different depths of notes).  Like they are technically correct but lack subtle things like that.

"Muffled" is probably something else and probably just the 598 lacking clarity in comparison to the Monk.  Distant things can sound less clear and distinct, and imo the 598 isn't all that great in the clarity department anyway.

May 26, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #6,323 of 7,535
Funny how you say the "SE" model was bad for you and not the ivory ones. I got slammed here ( by some kid probably ) for saying the se's were made specially for Amazon for their black Friday special ( which they were ) and maybe they were not made to the same standards as the ivory ones. Possibly different plants making them. My pair of se's had zero bass. I could not believe how bad they sounded. People keep saying these are not for bassheads. Excuse me, the bass guitar is part of the band/song. Their may or may not be something between the two models.

My SEs are much warmer and bassier than my ivory.  Most people (of the 5 or 10 that have both) say the opposite, though. 

May 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #6,324 of 7,535

Yeah, I'm starting to think my ears must be damaged in some way. I honestly don't think the drivers are defective, I think the chances of out of phase wiring are pretty low, but then again, I bought a laptop once which had the ram modules installed wrong and it wouldn't boot giving an error about incorrectly installed modules, so yeah, anything can happen.

I'm going to first of all test the headphones properly tomorrow using various sources. Right now I used my phone and my newer PC. My older gaming PC has a pci soundcard, a Xonar something IIRC, I didn't install it on my new rig because the case is smaller and I couldn't really hear any difference between the two at the time. I also have a pretty nice hi-fi sound system by Technics in the basement, it's from the nineties but I'm pretty sure it was very high end at the time, with Dolby Pro Logic II and 5 speakers, if it still works I'm going to test the headphones on it after burning some flacs to a CD. I'm also going to leave them playing to burn them in a bit tomorrow.

By the way, if I press them very hard to my head, I like the sound more. What do you think about this?

They may be defective.  I would still try to listen to them exclusively over a few weeks before returning or exchanging them.  Your brain MAY adjust to them.  Still, everything you've posted so far, has me leaning to thinking the 598s may have a too soft and gentle sound signature for your taste.

Yes, try on different amps and dacs if you can.  My Dragonfly v1.2 definitely lifted a veil a bit and made them sound clearer and more transparent.  Some amps will make them sound darker and bassier.

I just tried the pressing them against my ears thing again (haven't in a while).  The difference I hear when doing that is that they sound more immediate and forward.  Everything sounds a bit closer and less distant.  Like I said before, it sounds like this is the type of sound you prefer, or at least the sound that you're used to.

Have you ever listened to Koss Porta Pro?  They are my back-up open headphone, and they sound very, very good for their price.  They have a more immediate, forward sound than the 598s, with significantly more bass impact, while retaining some of that open, spacious sound of the 598s.  They are not as clear, refined, transparent, or detailed, however, but still very good in their own right.  I prefer them when listening to bass driven, fast music like EDM, hip-hop, or pop.  Maybe you can give them a try.  $35 in the USA.

May 26, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #6,325 of 7,535
@MRK1  One more thing.  The SE comes with a short cable and a long cable.  Some here have said they heard a difference in sound between the cables, while others did not.  I personally heard a slight difference, with the longer cable sounding warmer, bassier, smoother in the treble, and with better space and depth.  The short cable sounded thin and shrill to my ears, with noticeable sibilance, and a flatter, less dimensional overall sound.  It wasn't a huge difference, but noticeable if you have good hearing.

Try swapping the cables, if you haven't, and see if you can hear a difference.

May 27, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #6,326 of 7,535
Yes, and make sure you attached the cable properly : fully insert and twist.
For me, if I cover the cups with my hands the sound gets worse, looses air and sounds cramped and unnatural.
I don't think there's anything wrong with your headphones, but just to be sure you get a different batch, if you decide to return them, buy from amazon.de next time, that's where I got them and they are perfect with bass and everything.

May 27, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #6,327 of 7,535
  Ugh... I don't understand. Listened to the 598 for 2 hours, then put on my miserable, puny, FIVE BUCKS ( + 3 shipping) Chinese earbuds and they sounded way, way, way better (I'm obviously talking about the VE Monk). The bass is there, the vocals are forward, everything is tight and resonating to near perfection, it's just ridiculous. I can hear all the details on the Monk and I can hear it even better on the 598, but they sound hollow, compressed. The voices are distant and muffled somehow. Reviews praised the mids & highs, and I listened mostly to female vocal music such as Jpop, vocal trance, and stuff with violins & piano such as baroque music and various classical piano sonatas (all in flac & 320kbps) and man everything just sounds so awful on these. I also listened to modern orchestral, I have various albums from Two Steps From Hell in flac and they were flat out unlistenable as this kind of music needs some bass.

It's so weird because I can hear the tiniest background details very clearly and yet the main instruments and vocals are recessed. Such as the clock ticking sound from Starvation by Thomas Bergersen (flac), I could hear that background sound and the main tune was recessed, like what is even happening here? I can hear the clock as well using the Monk but it's merged with the rest of the music, on the 598 is totally separated and somehow more forward than the main melody.

Also, these are fatiguing, and very much so. At very low volume they fatigued my ears a lot, when I took them off I felt like I was just out of a club (even though these have no bass and I didn't listen to any bassy track) and back again to the not-so-crappy VE Monk, I could keep them on for entire days with no issues at a higher volume.

I'm seriously tempted to return these and buy the other earbuds from VE, namely the Asura, and an amp.

Does anyone here own the VE Monk? I feel silly comparing a 5 bucks earbud to a full size headphone like this, but my ears are telling me the Monk sounds not only more pleasing but also better in basically anything but soundstage.

Bottom line, I either have defective ears or defective 598s. I will keep listening and see what happens.

Here's a little picture.

Maybe try this http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php and compare it to your other headphones.

I sent mine back after I had a problem with the quality of the sound I was hearing. They said there was distortion on my right side resonator and they replaced the component. Sennheiser have 2 year warranty but you have to pay for shipping to them.

My 598s sound much better now.

May 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #6,328 of 7,535

Perhaps ask a few family members and friends over (that have no knowledge of your "disappointment" with the 598's). It would be a good idea to get people of varying ages if possible. Select a couple of pieces of music that will be familiar to all of you. Set the volume to a comfortable level that is tolerable for everyone. Each of you listen to the first cut, perhaps jot down what is desirable and what isn't about what is heard (but don't let others see each other's comments). Give everyone a turn. Repeat with another piece of music. Thereafter compare impressions.

Assess I if everyone is hearing the same as you or not. If they are agreeing with you possibly there may be an issue with this particular pair. If on the other hand you are the only one that is predominantly hearing unsatisfactory sound then your hearing could be an issue or more likely the 598's simply are not your "cup of tea".

May 29, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #6,329 of 7,535
I have heard two pairs of hd598 SEs and can confirm that these are distorted at moderately loud volumes when the music has some powerful bass. They are great though. For the price I paid for them, I still can't think of another more musical pair of cans. Its just the power handling that these totally suck at. I've tried them out of an LHlabs GO1k, laptop jacks, ipads, iphones, a hegel integrated amp.... same thing, they distort at a point that is much lower in volume vs an hd650 thats for sure. I can make the hd650 pound hard before it cracks. Those are nuts! Except I like the tonality of the 598s more hmnmm

May 29, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #6,330 of 7,535
Just wonder if it's the speaker housing or the speaker itself that is distorting. Are these 30mm ( very small ) speakers? I was always afraid of going into distortion with my 558's but they did sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back