Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #23,446 of 23,454
You could also just adjust your pre-amp gain instead. Easier, less intrusive, and requires less processing.

...and considering that two of those three filters are working in the hundredths of a dB, I don't understand how they would impact your pre-amp gain--which appears to only be adjustable down to tenths of a dB.
Sorry I didn't explain well, when I amped my HD600 sub-bass it caused a negative gain on the 200-350Hz area so I wanted to adjust so I can keep it at pre-amp settings. I'm ok with the pre-amp value I just don't want any other part of the sound signature to deviate from stock hd600 apart from sub bass

May 2, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #23,447 of 23,454
May 2, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #23,448 of 23,454
Sorry I didn't explain well, when I amped my HD600 sub-bass it caused a negative gain on the 200-350Hz area so I wanted to adjust so I can keep it at pre-amp settings. I'm ok with the pre-amp value I just don't want any other part of the sound signature to deviate from stock hd600 apart from sub bass
I see.

While I'm just skeptical that such granular EQ is audible and that any measurement device is capable of being that consistent and accurate, I was curious and ran your settings through REW (using oratory1990's measurement). If you are really that committed to realigning the FR curve to its "stock" curve above ~150Hz, you could actually change your fourth filter to: PK 180Hz, Gain 0.7 dB, Q 1 and then delete your fifth and sixth filters. This new filter would take their place with fewer filters (and less processing) required.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #23,449 of 23,454
I don't think old school rap was especially badly recorded. I have plenty of old songs that sound great on the HD600 for instance. I think there's just a lot more deep bass in modern hip-hop, this trend was set by dirty south producers and then trap music which is actually a great benchmark if you want to test deep bass response for any headphone.
That's my dilemma with the HD600. The HD600 are excellent for instrumental and older vocal music, but for the tiktok trap 2020 era hip-hop music produced today my HD600's sub-bass is struggling a lot.

If anyone has suggestions to improve via software advice is welcome!

May 3, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #23,450 of 23,454
These settings are supposed to equalize the sound at -9.3 dB to match the pre-amp. I prefer that from the mids up the sound doesn't get affected by my sub-bass eq
Does that mean you do not use any PEQ above your list?

If you can obtain a test tone at 20 Hz, please compare no PEQ with your setting at 20 Hz. Then try the +4 db at 35 or 40 Hz. That is "sub bass" and it can be increased judiciously with good results. (+2 at 75, +2 at 40 (both low shelf)), and then cut it -4 db at say 15 Hz (bell curve).

Add: Also the 2.5-4 kHz area - centered at 3.3 KHz needs to get cut if you want to meet Harman.

Read back in the thread, the consensus is that these do not excel at bass volume, heft, dynamics under 100 Hz - and while some PEQ can buck up the 35-100 Hz area, at 20 they are no-ops. The fundamental resonance of the driver is around 70 Hz, there isn't a way to change that - CC ring mod and PEQ are simply not enough. Please read up on intermodulation distortion - that's what raising them under 35 Hz will buy anyone trying to do it with PEQ - the more the worse it gets.

Take a HFM planar - round cup models - say a Sundara, HE-6 SE - you can crank those 10 db at 20 Hz and if the amp has the headroom, the results are fine.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #23,451 of 23,454
That's my dilemma with the HD600. The HD600 are excellent for instrumental and older vocal music, but for the tiktok trap 2020 era hip-hop music produced today my HD600's sub-bass is struggling a lot.

You could also try aftermarket pads. I like the Dekoni perforated leather pads on the HD600, they keep a great balance with deeper bass (however I think that perforations generally also alter the soundstage and presence of a headphone in a bad way).

May 3, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #23,452 of 23,454

Here's what I'm currently using for EQ.
My low bass is only about flat with these settings, maybe still slightly below.
You could try these settings, but maybe raise #2 from +4.5db to +6.5db or so, this might give you enough low bass.
Notice that #1 is cutting the very lowest bass off. This is to prevent unnecessary driver movement and distortion, as the 600's aren't going to play much of that anyway. It should also give your amp a little more headroom as well.
These settings were made by using a combined frequency response graph of several HD600's. I do have the 1khz to 4khz about 2db below flat, because my ears are very sensitive in that most fatiguing area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240414-222534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240414-222534_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #23,453 of 23,454
Here's what I'm currently using for EQ.
My low bass is only about flat with these settings, maybe still slightly below.
You could try these settings, but maybe raise #2 from +4.5db to +6.5db or so, this might give you enough low bass.
Notice that #1 is cutting the very lowest bass off. This is to prevent unnecessary driver movement and distortion, as the 600's aren't going to play much of that anyway. It should also give your amp a little more headroom as well.
These settings were made by using a combined frequency response graph of several HD600's. I do have the 1khz to 4khz about 2db below flat, because my ears are very sensitive in that most fatiguing area.
Are these with negative pre-amp?

May 3, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #23,454 of 23,454

Users who are viewing this thread

Back