Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #23,431 of 23,468
Hello , Has anyone ever tried fitting one of the Beyerdynamic headbands to the HD600 like the TYGR 300R headband ?
I've gone through so many of the sennheisers hd600 and hd650 headbands over the years and even tried an aftermarket gel one from the company who make those fancy wooden headphones same as stock but gel , but even this one hasnt lasted long and no more comfy than the stock ones.
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/headband-mmx-300.html

Apr 28, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #23,432 of 23,468
Always a pleasure to listen to the HD-600. Today, it is even sounding punchier than usual. :L3000:

1714317428766.png

May 1, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #23,435 of 23,468
Eyo, I just made some edits on Equalizer APO for the bass curve, and these are my settings:

Preamp: -9.3 dB

Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 1.1

Filter: ON PK Fc 97 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 0.7

Filter: ON LS Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71

Filter: ON PK Fc 200 Hz Gain 0.01 dB Q 1

Filter: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain 0.3 dB Q 2

Filter: ON PK Fc 400 Hz Gain 0.15 dB Q 1

The first three frequencies changes and the pre-amp are from u/Farpun, thank you for the help! They are basically the same frequencies you would find on oratory1990's harman target adjustments. The next three are of my own, as I want to keep the resulting frequencies to -9.3 gain to match the pre-amp, so I would keep my crystal clear and intimate mids. I do miss the high's, but I'd rather sacrifice that than my bass which is more important for modern hip hop and pop tracks I listen to.

Will it solve the bass shelf with a bit of EQ? I'm curious on your thoughts about it as the HD600s are known for the bass rolloff. If not should I just get a pair of different headphones?

May 1, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #23,436 of 23,468
Bass is the most subjective part of the audible frequency spectrum. When you see/hear descriptions like "extended bass" or "punchy bass" or "boosted bass," you always have to ask yourself: compared to what?

In my experience, a frequency curve only shows one of many traits involved in creating satisfying bass. I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music (soul, hip-hop, reggaeton, electronic, etc) and I rarely want a headphone with a bass curve that matches the lift shown in a typical Harman preference curve. The bass from an HD 600 is usually just fine for me. Do I sometimes like a bit more impact? Sure. That's what my other headphones are for. No single pair of headphones will check all of your boxes.

As for that Cardi track in particular, you may not hear (or feel) the sub-bass through something like the HD 600. But outside of those deep, deep sub-bass hits, most of the track's bass content is actually much higher and will be plenty audible. Often mid and upper bass is good at giving the impression of being lower than it is, so it sounds like plenty. Will you feel it the same as on other headphones? No. Does that matter? Up to you. If you like big, full bass that hits very low, I would make sure you have at least one other pair of headphones to supplement the HD 600. But IMO you generally don't need as much bass as you think you do.
I think what I want for hip hop is specifically punchy bass, very slightly extened bass. However I have also been listening to pop music (ik i have trash music tastes) and for that I might need more extended bass in the mid bass region. As you see in my lastest reply on this thread I have come up with EQ settings to pair it with my HD600 and they take care of the sub-bass.

I also listened to some Denon headphones (closed back) and they had more bass than my HD600, so I am thinking of picking one of those up instead, or the DT990 Pro X

May 1, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #23,437 of 23,468
Eyo, I just made some edits on Equalizer APO for the bass curve, and these are my settings:

The first three frequencies changes and the pre-amp are from u/Farpun, thank you for the help! They are basically the same frequencies you would find on oratory1990's harman target adjustments. The next three are of my own, as I want to keep the resulting frequencies to -9.3 gain to match the pre-amp, so I would keep my crystal clear and intimate mids. I do miss the high's, but I'd rather sacrifice that than my bass which is more important for modern hip hop and pop tracks I listen to.

Will it solve the bass shelf with a bit of EQ? I'm curious on your thoughts about it as the HD600s are known for the bass rolloff. If not should I just get a pair of different headphones?
I don't think you need those last three filters. They're so small they're probably inaudible.

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #23,438 of 23,468
I don't think you need those last three filters. They're so small they're probably inaudible.
Those three filters are to help keep the hd600 at its normal frequencies before adjustment. Ibfind that the bass curves do help but they somewhat affect the last three frequencies and I want to retain the natural sound of HD600 past the bass region

May 2, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #23,439 of 23,468
Those three filters are to help keep the hd600 at its normal frequencies before adjustment. Ibfind that the bass curves do help but they somewhat affect the last three frequencies and I want to retain the natural sound of HD600 past the bass region
But... 0.01dB in gain??? I'm quite sure that is waaay below the accepted tolerances on the drivers' frequency response. Probably even 10x that is accepted.

May 2, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #23,440 of 23,468

The 600 doesn't do any bass under about 37 Hz, raising it at 20 Hz is just going to stress the amp, and create more Intermodulation distortion out of the headphone.

The 600 does timbre and speed of bass. As far as heft and dynamics with OTL tube amps from about 40 Hz up, most SS amps not built for high output at 300 ohms don't start kicking in until about 45 Hz. - but in both cases even at 75 Hz they are still a few db under the level at 1kHz.

If you want closed back excess bass or quick and deep planar bass - no matter what you do to the 600 - it will not deliver. Use it for what its good for - timbre accuracy.

Also I think you setting of 0.01 db at 200 Hz must be a misprint, and +0.3 db at 250 Hz by my ear isn't a problem area. Have no idea why it's down 2.5 db at 97 Hz. .015 at 400 is borderline not detectable.

It could use a little dip at about 140 Hz - say Q 3.0 -1.4 db, bass try +2db @ 70 Hz (does your PEQ do low shelf?, then low shelf Q1) - then try +2 db at 48 Hz Q1 low shelf). Those settings in the bass will not meet the Harman - which BTW is wrong under 100 Hz, but won't over stress the amp and cans.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #23,441 of 23,468
I think what I want for hip hop is specifically punchy bass, very slightly extened bass. However I have also been listening to pop music (ik i have trash music tastes) and for that I might need more extended bass in the mid bass region. As you see in my lastest reply on this thread I have come up with EQ settings to pair it with my HD600 and they take care of the sub-bass.

I also listened to some Denon headphones (closed back) and they had more bass than my HD600, so I am thinking of picking one of those up instead, or the DT990 Pro X
I would look for something else if you are a bass head, I use Beyer 1770 Pro with EQ for that type of music.

May 2, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #23,442 of 23,468

For hip/hop rap music ... there is a JVC SZ1000/2000 which you add hm5 sheepskin or alpha pads ... which make you feel like you're back in highschool with 2 12's in the trunk.

Denon/Fostex will give you a more refined bass , and leaves option of upgrades in whatever direction

6 series like others have said will not awaken the 30-60hz region.

The Custom Cans copper/nickle ring assists with keeping the stability should you EQ, and you mostly need different pads to hold in the pressure (at the cost of fidelity), but then again hip hop/rap music doesn't require the best of the best in timbre

May 2, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #23,443 of 23,468
Background Wanted to get more low bass (under 70 Hz) so tried the CC ring mod. Findings:
  • Open foam, “3” foam, no foam, and no ring (after the mod) give more bass, but ranging well above 70 Hz, and also muddies the estimable timbre and speed of the bass.
  • Gray and blue foam decrease bass.

• Both combos increase output at 3k and occasionally noticed at 6k. But it’s more than just output, it is edgy. Think its because the driver whose resonance is around 70 Hz is now moving more below that point which results in increased IM – quite unwelcome.
FYI: Been using the 600’s modded for 5+ years: Custom Cans XLR & small amounts of dynamat on the back side of the cup, not blocking any of the vents. Not for mass loading, but to quiet the vibrations of the plastic cups. (Fig 1).

Basically tried the kitchen sink to restore the OG sound. Mods such as filter papers, cloths, and foams under the spider, and on the inside of the rear cups. Tried these small diameter metal tubes (button snap post) on top of the CC weight (Fig 2), even tried different diameter and length tubes to vent the front facing driver through the pads.

Conclusions:

The rear cups and pads that go with them are the best choice.

Don’t do the mod if you like the OG timbre. They are not LCD-4’s and never will be. If you want that, get that.

Given the materials at hand, to restore the sound closest to OG: 32 ct undyed linen (Fig 3) cut to fit under the spider and then notch it in 8 spots so that it lies flat under the spider, then cut the original under spider foam to fit the inside diam of the spider, and install it. Fig 5. The choice of this linen cloth is due to testing done that showed a consistent 2-3 db drop in output from 1.5k-15k. Since it’s on the back side that effect will be minimized, but still have some use and listening tests did indicate it was the best tried here.

If you insist on getting more bass using the CC ring and get the closest to OG treble:
  • Inatall the linen and OG foam mod (Fig 5).
  • Then install the post (Fig 4) – prefer the larger diam one (6 mm)), add the tack to keep it centered (from the visible side, don’t goop it up under the copper lip). It’s the best combo I found using the CC weight, but it's still not back to OG.
Tried to block all the vents on the back including the CC mod covered with just the front bass tube outlet. Very wanky sound.
Wish I never tried the CC mod, and recover those dozens of hours of mods. Like CC cables very much, great customer support. At least for the HD-600 not my cuppa. No opinion on the variants.

Note: I may have access to a testing rig on 10/21, I’ll test the two mods and report back. (I did - a GRAS clone - showed distinct broad peak in the 3-4k area, and just a bit of bass added - all over 70 Hz)

Add: More listening confirms I don't like any combo of the CC weight, so when I want bass impact/reach etc. - all my other cans on the Rag 1 were always the answer in the first place.
Repost my take on the CC ring mod - still have the same opinion.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #23,444 of 23,468
Also I think you setting of 0.01 db at 200 Hz must be a misprint, and +0.3 db at 250 Hz by my ear isn't a problem area. Have no idea why it's down 2.5 db at 97 Hz. .015 at 400 is borderline not detectable.

It could use a little dip at about 140 Hz - say Q 3.0 -1.4 db, bass try +2db @ 70 Hz (does your PEQ do low shelf?, then low shelf Q1) - then try +2 db at 48 Hz Q1 low shelf). Those settings in the bass will not meet the Harman - which BTW is wrong under 100 Hz, but won't over stress the amp and cans.
These settings are supposed to equalize the sound at -9.3 dB to match the pre-amp. I prefer that from the mids up the sound doesn't get affected by my sub-bass eq

May 2, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #23,445 of 23,468
These settings are supposed to equalize the sound at -9.3 dB to match the pre-amp. I prefer that from the mids up the sound doesn't get affected by my sub-bass eq
You could also just adjust your pre-amp gain instead. Easier, less intrusive, and requires less processing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back