Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #17,326 of 23,486

I dont fully like the dt770 and i hated the akg k550 because i thought they were pretty treble happy.... but none of them (or any other headphone) ever rapped my ears like the hd600's do at times. As i said its really a first for me....

Despite having the same issue.... when this peak was not present, you liked the hd600's David? More than the hd650s?

As an experiment, have you tried using EQ to reduce the 3kHz - 5kHz peak of the HD600 to determine if it is in fact this peak that is bothering you so much or if it might be another aspect of the HD600 sound?  I say "3kHz - 5kHz" because some people think the HD600 has a peak between 3kHz - 4kHz while others think it has a peak between 4kHz - 5kHz, so best cover both ranges to be sure!

Dec 30, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #17,327 of 23,486
As an experiment, have you tried using EQ to reduce the 3kHz - 5kHz peak of the HD600 to determine if it is in fact this peak that is bothering you so much or if it might be another aspect of the HD600 sound?  I say "3kHz - 5kHz" because some people think the HD600 has a peak between 3kHz - 4kHz while others think it has a peak between 4kHz - 5kHz, so best cover both ranges to be sure!

Where and what it is i dont know.... But one thing is certain, it completely f.... Up my ears every once i a while.... :D

I have had the HD6XX for a couple weeks now, it is an HD650 in pretty much every detail...except with a shorter cable, I think? And of course the color (which, I'm sorry, in the light of my computer room sure looks black to me).

The 6XX does have noticeable bass extension and volume over HD600, to my ears. It doesn't quite get the deep rumble of X2 or TH-X00, but it's a big step there.

The 6XX is definitely more resolving than X2, and for basically the same price. Unless you absolutely NEED ultra-wide soundstage, such as for gaming, I'd personally choose the 6XX over X2 100% of the time :) That's a big deal, as I was a big proponent of X2 for a good while.

I'd still call 6XX laid-back....though a better word may be "unperturbed". It NEVER loses its' composure. I'd say the same for HD600. 

However, much the same way as I find my Stax more exciting than my HD600, I find my X00 Purplehearts more exciting than HD6XX. The bass hits even deeper, harder, and faster to my ears...though at a substantial price premium over 6XX.

I'm not sorry I purchased HD6XX, they're a spectacular value for the money. I'm proud to own my Sennheisers and do love them even though they don't get much playtime! But my long-term pairing hasn't changed from Stax + X00.

So would you say the hd650/6xx is much more fun and engaging than the hd600?
You pretty much tried all the headphones i wanted to try right now.... :D
The x2 is much more punchy and fun than the other 2? But in terms of quality is it easy to discern that both hd600s are superior?

What do you loose and what do you win when switching from the x2 to the 6xx and vice versa?
And when switching from thr 6xx to thr 600s?
Do you usually listen to metal or edm? Wich would you recomend for a guy that likes the m50x, hd25 and momentum?

Cheers... :)

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #17,329 of 23,486
Do you usually listen to metal or edm? Wich would you recomend for a guy that likes the m50x, hd25 and momentum?

Cheers...
smily_headphones1.gif

I would also say the ONKYO A800 should be on your radar screen.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #17,330 of 23,486
So would you say the hd650/6xx is much more fun and engaging than the hd600?
You pretty much tried all the headphones i wanted to try right now....
biggrin.gif

The x2 is much more punchy and fun than the other 2? But in terms of quality is it easy to discern that both hd600s are superior?

What do you loose and what do you win when switching from the x2 to the 6xx and vice versa?
And when switching from thr 6xx to thr 600s?

Cheers...
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me be clear, I don't love my HD600 any LESS than I did before! They do a great job at their intended purpose of neutral/natural sound.

But if your metric for a "fun" sound is an added dose of bass with greater extension HD6XX does that while (of course) retaining HD600 levels of overall fidelity.

X2 adds soundstage and even more bass volume. But in terms of overall fidelity, it's not quite in the same league. A Camry might be a nice car, and might FEEL fast......but if you want to GO fast, you plop your butt in a 500HP Mustang. It's like that. Stepping further up to X00 is like adding another 150HP :)

HD6XX gives me about 80-85% the enjoyment of X00, at half the price. However, I DO own X00, and I'd reach for them, personally.

P.S. My normal listening is the Deadmau5 channel on Tidal HiFi.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #17,331 of 23,486

Huge Deadmau5 fan, don't love everything, but much of it. Favorite album is Random Album Title. About to listen using some nice ONKYO H900M closed back. I like to mention the great ONKYO headphones as they sadly fly under the radar here. I did own both the HD600/650 and loved them both.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #17,332 of 23,486
I've had nothing but joy with these HD6XX. I do believe I'll keep them and gift my HD600 to a friend.

The HD6XX is everything I loved in the 600, just warmer, which is where my tastes have led me in all of my preferred equipment. Back when I bought the 600, I was very new to the audio game and didn't know which signature I liked best. Since then, I've bought many things and learned my own heart. Neutral-warm is the sweet stop of me. And the HD6XX does that perfectly.

It's a far cry from the awesomeness of the LCD-2. So it won't replace that as my go-to headphone for serious listening sessions. But for everything else, these will usurp the 600.

My apologies to all the die-hard fans. It's just a signature preference, not an indictment of the HD600. I feel I must state that before the floodgates open. :D

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #17,333 of 23,486

Sorry to disappoint but honestly, I don't really know.
confused_face.gif
 I believe I've read it somewhere or around here that getting a balanced setup for the HD600 really does wonders, but other than lowering cable noise, I don't have a clue what the changes in SQ are.

You should have the reasons before posting that. Technically a balanced setup will double the peak to peak voltage which will increase the volume. Louder sounds better because our perception of FR changes, so we are easily tricked and many might believe there is a big difference.. If one matches volume when balanced or SE, they should sound the same.

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #17,334 of 23,486
.. If one matches volume when balanced or SE, they should sound the same.

No, they will sound the same, if everything else is equal.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #17,335 of 23,486
  Let me be clear, I don't love my HD600 any LESS than I did before! They do a great job at their intended purpose of neutral/natural sound.

But if your metric for a "fun" sound is an added dose of bass with greater extension HD6XX does that while (of course) retaining HD600 levels of overall fidelity.

X2 adds soundstage and even more bass volume. But in terms of overall fidelity, it's not quite in the same league. A Camry might be a nice car, and might FEEL fast......but if you want to GO fast, you plop your butt in a 500HP Mustang. It's like that. Stepping further up to X00 is like adding another 150HP :)

HD6XX gives me about 80-85% the enjoyment of X00, at half the price. However, I DO own X00, and I'd reach for them, personally.

Now we are talking.... :D yes i have plenty of Deadmau5 tracks on my daily playlist. "Avaritia", "Sofie Needs a Ladder", "Strobe", Arguru and most recently "Saved", "Let Go" and "Imaginary Friends" have been getting constantly played on my headphones for the last months. :)
But i also listen to a lot of Anjunabeats stuff.... love Above & Beyond and all things Anjuna....
I like fun but very proggy, deep, euphonic, melodic, hipnotic edm. I am a early 2000's trance lover and always will be. :)

Yes i like good quality sound but i also need a satisfying bass response for this sort of tracks without damaging (of course) the overall clarity of the sound. I like fun but i also like quality.
SO the hd650/6xx gives a more significant (i am not expecting loads of bass of course....) slam over the hd600's? At least enough to make this tracks more punchy and fun than on the hd600 while at the same time maintaining the same quality on the mids, highs and overall sound?

You are sooooo making me wanna try the hd650.... :D I always been curious about the x2 as well but due to the legendary status the hd650 seems to be a much easier headphone to resell in case i end up not liking them. Also the glued pads thing kind of made me step back from the x2's and of course statements like the one you and others gave (the hd650 being superior) makes me think the hd650 will be a better investment in terms of potential. When a headphone is 20 or 15 years old and still kicking nowaday can that means something.... :)
  Huge Deadmau5 fan, don't love everything, but much of it. Favorite album is Random Album Title. About to listen using some nice ONKYO H900M closed back. I like to mention the great ONKYO headphones as they sadly fly under the radar here. I did own both the HD600/650 and loved them both.

Not bashing your suggestion dear Sonic Defender but i think the Onkyos would be a too risky buy for me.... usually i like to trade headphones quite a bit but i do so in a way that i dont loose much money in the process and as i stated before, given the status the hd650/600 have i would try those 2 in the first place. But i dont doubt that the onkyos are great... i just dont want to take the risk.... :)

I've had nothing but joy with these HD6XX. I do believe I'll keep them and gift my HD600 to a friend.

The HD6XX is everything I loved in the 600, just warmer, which is where my tastes have led me in all of my preferred equipment. Back when I bought the 600, I was very new to the audio game and didn't know which signature I liked best. Since then, I've bought many things and learned my own heart. Neutral-warm is the sweet stop of me. And the HD6XX does that perfectly.

It's a far cry from the awesomeness of the LCD-2. So it won't replace that as my go-to headphone for serious listening sessions. But for everything else, these will usurp the 600.

My apologies to all the die-hard fans. It's just a signature preference, not an indictment of the HD600. I feel I must state that before the floodgates open.
biggrin.gif

According to your ears.... :D How improved is the bass response from the hd650/6xx over the hd600s? Mids and highs stay the same?
Not that i find the hd600s bass very bad. It is much better and more present than on the hd598's or 558's but on some tracks i just wish the bass would be a tiny tiny bit more present and deeper. A bit more visceral punch but just slight.I think i am more of a midbass junkie. I like deep but i dont crave subwoofer bass. For instance i dont like the bass presentation of the d770 80ohm very much.... i prefer the puchier slam of the m50x, hd25 or momentum as i stated before. Even the hd600s despite not having big bass and even the boring hd598 have more punchy bass than the dt770's. On the beyer yeah it goes deep but its not very punchy and therfore not much fun IMO.

I belive we both share the same taste in terms of sound signature. Something just a hint warm but not too much to the point of sounding muddy or too colored. Something in between both sigs, something fun but with great clarity and quality to the sound.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #17,336 of 23,486
  No, they will sound the same, if everything else is equal.

What will be unequal enough that will be humanly detectible? Any decent amp has an FR that is flatter than we can detect and distortion levels that we cannot detect.  JDD for humans is much higher than most of us are willing to admit.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #17,337 of 23,486
How improved is the bass response from the hd650/6xx over the hd600s? Mids and highs stay the same?

It's hard to say for sure what's different and what's the same... apart from the bass. The low-end is a good step or two above the HD600. But of course, that's not news. The HD650 is legend for its elevated mid-bass. This hump adds warmth and thickness to the vocals, creating that "lush" quality you read about. The treble is still there, making sure to reveal all the lovely details in the track.

The signature isn't vastly different. It really does sound like the HD600, just warmer/bassier.

Getting truly hard-hitting bass is very difficult for open-back headphones. If you need a mean punch then you should look for closed back, which hold the bass inside, along with everything else. Only my LCD-2 has delivered that in the open-back form. At least that I've heard.

Dec 30, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #17,338 of 23,486
It's hard to say for sure what's different and what's the same... apart from the bass. The low-end is a good step or two above the HD600. But of course, that's not news. The HD650 is legend for its elevated mid-bass. This hump adds warmth and thickness to the vocals, creating that "lush" quality you read about. The treble is still there, making sure to reveal all the lovely details in the track.

The signature isn't vastly different. It really does sound like the HD600, just warmer/bassier.

Getting truly hard-hitting bass is very difficult for open-back headphones. If you need a mean punch then you should look for closed back, which hold the bass inside, along with everything else. Only my LCD-2 has delivered that in the open-back form. At least that I've heard.

So its a tiny bit punchier and fuller while keeping the same overall sound right? Seems cool. I have to try them. But just to make sure i dont f.... up i will keep the hd600's to compare when i get the hd650. Problem is..... what will i do if i like both,,, :D

I dont think i need much more bass to be honest..... even the m50x for me probably as a tad too much bass at times, the akg k518/81 definitly as too much bass for my taste..... i am using the hd600 right know and i've been listening to daft punk's "discovery" and now a spotify playlist called "Night Rider" wich is full of proggy, trancey and deep stuff and i am having a blast.... the kick is pretty fun. I am liking the hd600 more and more each day, i just basically want a very slightly deeper bass and slightly fuller sound and also to avoid the peaks that make my ears Buzz on certain tracks. I dont want any drastic change.

I am thinking i am selling my dt770s and momentum 1.0 to fund the hd650's.... those are just gathering dust since i use the hd25 and momentum 2.0 much more...

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #17,339 of 23,486

What will be unequal enough that will be humanly detectible? Any decent amp has an FR that is flatter than we can detect and distortion levels that we cannot detect.  JDD for humans is much higher than most of us are willing to admit.

I was agreeing with you, I don't think balanced makes any difference if all else is equal. Guess I was vague.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back