Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #17,371 of 23,486
  Unfortunately: Every track, from every source, through every amp pulls HARD to the right. I even handed them off to someone else to see what they thought of them, and the first thing they said was the right is louder than the left by 2x. They were also compared to HD700s, SHP9500s, Status CB1s, etc.......  It sucks cause I like them so much......

Just to make sure.... i had the same impressions as you if you check my posts from a couple of pages back (when i got them). I too at first thought they were unbalanced and pending towards the right side but this did not happen on all of the tracks. This was also unusual for me since all my other headphones never gave me this kind of impression but i did a couple of signal swipe tests and everything was centered.... also as i said it only happened on some tracks and sometimes it was more noticeable than others... so i ended up assuming that its really the way the sound is presented on them (instruments are really well separated from one side to the other on the hd600's in a way i never heard before and as i stated its the first pair of headphones that made me hear new detail on my music in a long time). I may be mistaken but since it was never a "always case" i got used to it and now even changing from my other headphones to the hd600 doesnt sound that weird any more.

But if you have the chance to trade (specially if you bought from amazon where you can ask for a new pair and try side by side before returning that bad ones) do it. If in doubt always try again.
I would have done the same in your case but i got mine used.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #17,372 of 23,486
Oh & id also be interested if someone here offers custom cables for the HD600s.....!!

If you could build the BH Crack making your own cables should be no problem for you.  Check out the DIY thread, very helpful and many who can help with any questions you might have.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #17,373 of 23,486
If you could build the BH Crack making your own cables should be no problem for you.  Check out the DIY thread, very helpful and many who can help with any questions you might have.

Very good point & thx for the tip! I'll do just that. I'd actually love to make my own just wouldn't know what cable to purchase so I'll go ask around over there.

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #17,374 of 23,486
  Unfortunately: Every track, from every source, through every amp pulls HARD to the right. I even handed them off to someone else to see what they thought of them, and the first thing they said was the right is louder than the left by 2x. They were also compared to HD700s, SHP9500s, Status CB1s, etc.......  It sucks cause I like them so much......

Just to make sure, it should be really easy to check whether or not the headphone itself is unbalanced. Wear them reversed, and if the bias swaps to the other side, then it's clearly the headphone.

EDIT: Better to quote the original poster, rather than somebody who replied.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #17,375 of 23,486
Just to make sure, it should be really easy to check whether or not the headphone itself is unbalanced. Wear them reversed, and if the bias swaps to the other side, then it's clearly the headphone.

EDIT: Better to quote the original poster, rather than somebody who replied.

With the headphones reversed.... If i feel the soind still pending for the tight that means that they are rrally like that? Or is may hearing a little bit screwed up....? :D i doubt my hearing is unbalanced or otherwise i would feel the same on all my headphones...

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #17,376 of 23,486
With the headphones reversed.... If i feel the soind still pending for the tight that means that they are rrally like that? Or is may hearing a little bit screwed up....?

If you leave the cables as they are, take the headphones off and wear them back to front, it'll sound louder in your left ear. And if it doesn't, your hearing is broken.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #17,377 of 23,486
I sent those unbalanced ones back yesterday, and yes reversing them did change the disposition to the other ear. Luckily, I found another pair New In Box for $200 
redface.gif
. Now the wait begins again, and the search for an amp begins!

BTW, if anyone wants to help out with that, I've got $250 for an amp (don't really need a dac at this point), suggestions are welcome!

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #17,380 of 23,486
Quote:
  I already use a fiio E10 (has a line-out) for my HD700, shp9500, etc.... Clearly there is still some room for improvement, but I think an amp is far more important to push the 600's than upgrading from the fiio dac. It would be interesting to know what your guys' opinions are on this.

Well upgrading just the amp part is one option, another would be to sell the E10 and upgrade the lot. If that was an option, how much could you sell it for?
If you could sell and stretch to the audio-gd nfb 11, I think that would be as good as you can get (for the money)

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #17,381 of 23,486
  Quote:

Well upgrading just the amp part is one option, another would be to sell the E10 and upgrade the lot. If that was an option, how much could you sell it for?
If you could sell and stretch to the audio-gd nfb 11, I think that would be as good as you can get (for the money)

Unfortunately, the Fiio e10 is worth <$50. (thats why I could afford it at the time I bought it :p) Also, how difficult/long does it take for audio-gd stuff to arrive; since they are based in china?

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #17,382 of 23,486
  Unfortunately, the Fiio e10 is worth <$50. (thats why I could afford it at the time I bought it :p) Also, how difficult/long does it take for audio-gd stuff to arrive; since they are based in china?

Fair enough. Maybe look at the Schiit Magni 2, which will be plenty of power for the 600, but save you some money. Or even the Fulla 2 and sell your e10, which will save you even more money until you can make a bigger step up.

Not too long, but there's a backlog right now. I think people have cottoned on to how good they are at the price point.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #17,383 of 23,486
I sent those unbalanced ones back yesterday, and yes reversing them did change the disposition to the other ear. Luckily, I found another pair New In Box for $200 :xf_eek: . Now the wait begins again, and the search for an amp begins!

BTW, if anyone wants to help out with that, I've got $250 for an amp (don't really need a dac at this point), suggestions are welcome!

Could you squeeze another $50 into your budget? If you could then the Bottlehead Crack is THE way to go. You have to be willing to put the kit together with some soldering but I did it & it was not hard. I really enjoyed the build. Otherwise look into the Little Dot III. Massdrop has them up pretty often too. DarkVoice is another option but not sure of price. My opinion is to save up another $50 & go with the Crack. It sounds INCREDIBLE with my HD600s. Plus you can upgrade to the Speedball later & also play around with tube rolling to tweak the sound to taste. A LOT of flexibility!!

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #17,384 of 23,486
  I sent those unbalanced ones back yesterday, and yes reversing them did change the disposition to the other ear. Luckily, I found another pair New In Box for $200 
redface.gif
. Now the wait begins again, and the search for an amp begins!

Garage Polaris will do well at that price point. Schiit Vali 2 for tube rolling if you want to go that direction.

Jan 4, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #17,385 of 23,486
Could you squeeze another $50 into your budget? If you could then the Bottlehead Crack is THE way to go. You have to be willing to put the kit together with some soldering but I did it & it was not hard. I really enjoyed the build. Otherwise look into the Little Dot III. Massdrop has them up pretty often too. DarkVoice is another option but not sure of price. My opinion is to save up another $50 & go with the Crack. It sounds INCREDIBLE with my HD600s. Plus you can upgrade to the Speedball later & also play around with tube rolling to tweak the sound to taste. A LOT of flexibility!!

I might have to stretch for this. The reviews seem to back up what you say, and people really like this with the HD700 as well. I would also need to obtain a soldering iron, and some solder. I think it would be cool to be able to tell people that i physically built my own headphone amp as well. 
biggrin.gif

I also see that you really like tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back