Sennheiser HD-600 Rediscovered (With Changes) In 2020
Sep 26, 2020 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jonathan c

Headphoneus Supremus
In a detour from a music listening rotation which included Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, and Rosson Audio RAD-0 was a rediscovery of the musically valid tonal balance and naturalness of the Sennheiser HD-600. In its stock form, the 600s were satisfying in the mid/upper bass (low bass: weak), outstanding in mid-range, and decent in the treble. With two changes there was clearer and deeper retrieval of bass, a bit more body to the mid-range, and more air / shimmer in the treble. The changes were: i) Dekoni leather earpads which were a little thicker than the 'stock' earpads; (ii) Replacing the foam covering the ear-side of the driver with Chicopee Chix (Reg. TM) 8311 Wipes. The Chix are dry / reusable sturdy wipes that are thinner than the foam that they replaced. The Chix have a very porous design with many perforations to allow the sound to come through. I settled on the Chix because while I came to enjoy immensely the 600s without the ear-side foam, I wanted some protection from hair, etc. for the drivers. For those times when I just want to listen to music (always via headphones) and not contemplate or be dazzled by air / detail / etc, it is 600 time. As important asides, the amplifier is a HeadAmp GS-X mini and the cable is Arctic Cable Cuprum Series (XLR amp-termination).
SENNHEISER HD 600 IN SEP 2020.JPG

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 3
In a detour from a music listening rotation which included Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear, Meze Empyrean, and Rosson Audio RAD-0 was a rediscovery of the musically valid tonal balance and naturalness of the Sennheiser HD-600. In its stock form, the 600s were satisfying in the mid/upper bass (low bass: weak), outstanding in mid-range, and decent in the treble. With two changes there was clearer and deeper retrieval of bass, a bit more body to the mid-range, and more air / shimmer in the treble. The changes were: i) Dekoni leather earpads which were a little thicker than the 'stock' earpads; (ii) Replacing the foam covering the ear-side of the driver with Chicopee Chix (Reg. TM) 8311 Wipes. The Chix are dry / reusable sturdy wipes that are thinner than the foam that they replaced. The Chix have a very porous design with many perforations to allow the sound to come through. I settled on the Chix because while I came to enjoy immensely the 600s without the ear-side foam, I wanted some protection from hair, etc. for the drivers. For those times when I just want to listen to music (always via headphones) and not contemplate or be dazzled by air / detail / etc, it is 600 time. As important asides, the amplifier is a HeadAmp GS-X mini and the cable is Arctic Cable Cuprum Series (XLR amp-termination).SENNHEISER HD 600 IN SEP 2020.JPG
Hey Jonathan, Glad you‘ve rediscovered the HD600. It’s still one of the very best headphone out there regardless of price . I noticed you’re sort of new to Head-fi. I’m just doing this in order to help you out. You’d get better feedback if you reposted this in the already existing Sennheiser HD600 Impressions Thread. Just use the “Search” tool at the top of the page on the right hand side. Type in : Sennheiser HD600 Impressions Thread. Once you find it, click/ tap on it, go to the last page & then repost your this after the last post on the last page. You’ll get feedback guaranteed. That thread was created a few years ago precisely for a post like yours.

Sep 27, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey Jonathan, Glad you‘ve rediscovered the HD600. It’s still one of the very best headphone out there regardless of price . I noticed you’re sort of new to Head-fi. I’m just doing this in order to help you out. You’d get better feedback if you reposted this in the already existing Sennheiser HD600 Impressions Thread. Just use the “Search” tool at the top of the page on the right hand side. Type in : Sennheiser HD600 Impressions Thread. Once you find it, click/ tap on it, go to the last page & then repost your this after the last post on the last page. You’ll get feedback guaranteed. That thread was created a few years ago precisely for a post like yours.
Thank you for the guidance! Will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back