Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 12, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #6,436 of 6,519
Fiio K9? I am considering that amp, is it worth the price?
IMO yes! It is especially interesting if you are looking for an all-in solution with a ton of power. It has so many options yet I only use the front XLR at the moment. Could add library shelves (active models) later :)
So it is clearly futureproof. Only cons : it gets easily warm so I don't know if it's problematic in very warm climats.
Be careful with that after marker cables , pins 90% of the times are thicker and taller than stock ones and the inner connection is destroyed when u take in and out a lot of times.

Thanks for the advice. I bought it from Hart Audio Cable. I only took it out for the pictures. Otherwise I let it permanently

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #6,437 of 6,519
I am coming down solidly on the side of favoring Sennheiser HD660S2 headphones over Meze 109 Pro headphones. The Senn sounds more natural, especially in the treble. The Meze bass is great, but I cannot get over the overdone treble and the midrange distance in the mix. It's too bad, because the Meze is pleasing to the eye.

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #6,441 of 6,519
Is hagerman tuba a good match for hd660s2?

Apr 13, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #6,442 of 6,519
What Amp could max out the s2? I feel very satisfyed with my k7 but i also think it can get better
It's solid--state, but the Mjolnir 3 is an excellent amp to drive the S2. Not sure if there's a cheaper amp to "max out" the S2. Frankly, not sure if the Mjolnir gets every last drop of goodness from the S2, but the pairing just works.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #6,443 of 6,519
It's solid--state, but the Mjolnir 3 is an excellent amp to drive the S2. Not sure if there's a cheaper amp to "max out" the S2. Frankly, not sure if the Mjolnir gets every last drop of goodness from the S2, but the pairing just works.
this one looks really sweet
if i want to get a new amp i plan to use my k7 as a dac since the dacs are pretty nice.
but does the shiit comes with everything to connect it to the k7?

Apr 13, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #6,444 of 6,519
this one looks really sweet
if i want to get a new amp i plan to use my k7 as a dac since the dacs are pretty nice.
but does the shiit comes with everything to connect it to the k7?
You’ll need to buy a decent pair of XLR interconnect cables to feed the analog signal to the amp (if you don’t have them already). And an XLR adapter or cable for the S2 (if you’re not using one already). I am using WBC cables as I’m more interested in spending my budget on upgrading components at this point, not my cables. But keeping the whole signal path balanced is definitely preferred with the Mjolnir since it provides the best performance, so the XLR investment is worth it. And fwiw it only comes with a power cable.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #6,446 of 6,519
What Amp could max out the s2? I feel very satisfyed with my k7 but i also think it can get better
I don't know if it would "max out" the S2's, but I love the Valhalla 2 with them. And it would be a cheap purchase as they are phasing it out. I got mine used. I added some tube raisers to cool it down and I have a bunch of tubes for it.

Don't care for the Arya's on it and IMO, it can't deal with the HE6se V2's.

But it is great with the S2's, Grado's and my Clear's.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #6,448 of 6,519
I have owned the 660S2 for five months, I also have a 660S and I was very undecided whether to upgrade with headphones that on paper only brought improvements, in the meantime I bought a Sundara closed back because I mainly listened to rock music of all genres and jazz/ rock for these genres lends itself very well unlike the 660S which for my taste has a clear but too thin sound, light bass and little involvement, but after some time you realize that the Sundara is engaging but in the long run tiring and too aggressive .
Having lost all hesitation, I bought the 660S2, the first thing I noticed was that the new arrival had everything I needed to listen to my favorite music with pleasure, more present bass, greater dynamics, clear and defined highs with the right aggressiveness all with the usual typical Sennheiser mid range which renders voices very well. My amplifier is a Lake People G100 W, very transparent and makes the sound of the 660S2 engaging and never tiring.
Perhaps the best Sennheiser headphones for listening to rock? For me yes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back