Sennheiser HD280 Pro jack mod
Dec 13, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 45
  Thanks for the encouragement. Here are some rather late responses.

@totalnoob43 I bought that one from Radio Shack

@jgc731 There are two wires coming from the left speaker and two from the right that come over the headband. Both pairs have a ground wire (usually a bit larger and bare copper). They both go to the same terminal on the jack. Looking at my picture I think I have those two wires backwards. Do a Google search for "tip ring sleeve headphones". The tip is the left audio, the ring is the right audio, and the sleeve is the common ground.

@gyro55 I just use any old 5 minute epoxy.

Thanks for your posts. I'm about to try this mod.

On step 7, which wire is positive and which is negative? Is red positive?

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #17 of 45
@tubey1 The red is the positive for one side and green is the positive for the other side. I don't remember which is which. The gold/uncolored wire in each pair of wires should be tied together and attached to the "sleeve" contact on the jack. That's the one that sticks out the side in my case. In the picture for step 7. I have the wires backwards. I corrected this before putting the headphones back together.

Apr 18, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #19 of 45
@tubey1 The red is the positive for one side and green is the positive for the other side. I don't remember which is which. The gold/uncolored wire in each pair of wires should be tied together and attached to the "sleeve" contact on the jack. That's the one that sticks out the side in my case. In the picture for step 7. I have the wires backwards. I corrected this before putting the headphones back together.

Hello! First of all, love your mod! I just did the double jack mod myself (with sloppier results - it's my first) and am having a beast of a time getting the sound right.
Right now, I've got both drivers wired up the same way to the TRS jacks (one on each side) - tip and sleeve only. I'm getting good sound when I run a single TRS cable from one ear to my iPhone, but good sound from only one ear when I run two TRS cables into a splitter. I got a 2 x TS to TRS interconnect, but that gives me NO sound.

I've tried:

• running the drivers to the tips and rings only (same results)
  • re-tinning the wires and re-soldering all connections
  • different TRS cables to make sure one hadn't gone bad
  • using a splitter
  • using a TS x 2 to TRS interconnect (no sound at all)
I hate to be such a noob, ergh! Double ergh because I've got no brains when it comes to math/spatial relations, so this stuff is superextra tough on me. But, despite that, it's addictively fun and I'm mad for it.

Thanks!

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #20 of 45
Your splitter seems to be the cause, otherwise, you would have problems getting sound in the other tests that you performed. I recommend building yourself a cable, or buy a Brainwavz HM5 headphone cable. For the Brainwavz cable, make sure that your 3.5mm sockets are wired tip and sleeve only.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #21 of 45
I had the 3.5mms wired to tip and sleeve only. The cable I tried after the splitter was a TS - TS --- TRS. No sound at *all.*
Now I'm having issues with the drivers, too, ugh. I had forgotten how they were supposed to sit in the back of the cup. I put them in correctly and did the blu-tak mod and am now getting very low-volume sound. SMH.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 45
Make sure that the post that each driver sits on isn't too far into the driver, or it will interfere with the driver diaphragm.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #23 of 45
Make sure that the post that each driver sits on isn't too far into the driver, or it will interfere with the driver diaphragm.

Indeed, I have noticed that. Touchy little things, they are. I kept putting them in on the post, rather than seating them in the little snap-slide in bit on the other half of the cup. Only problem is, when I did that - combined with the blu-tak - the life is sucked out of 'em.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #24 of 45
Test the drivers on their own, with the headphone not assembled. Still get low volume when you hold them up to your ears very close? Then you may have damaged them. If they work fine, then remove the blu-tak and see if the headphone can work normally.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #25 of 45
Hello! First of all, love your mod! I just did the double jack mod myself... ...I've got both drivers wired up the same way to the TRS jacks (one on each side)...

First, thank you for the interest and kind words.

Second, you said you did a "double" jack mod? You put a TRS jack in each side of the headphones? So a total of 2 jacks?

This is not what I did. A single TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connection supports two audio channels. I only put a single jack in my headset. Here is a digram for a TRS plug https://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/TRS_Pinout.jpg

I see that michael-p did a double jack mod but that will be two TS jacks. Each side only caries the audio for that side (sleeve and signal) and will have to be merged into a TRS plug at some point to plug into a phone or computer.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #26 of 45
Test the drivers on their own, with the headphone not assembled. Still get low volume when you hold them up to your ears very close? Then you may have damaged them. If they work fine, then remove the blu-tak and see if the headphone can work normally.

Well... they worked well if seated properly on the post and NOT inside the other part of the earcup. However, when removing one of the drivers, I severed one of the two hair-like wires there on the side. So, RIP, driver. Phooey.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #27 of 45
First, thank you for the interest and kind words.

Second, you said you did a "double" jack mod? You put a TRS jack in each side of the headphones? So a total of 2 jacks?

This is not what I did. A single TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connection supports two audio channels. I only put a single jack in my headset. Here is a digram for a TRS plug https://robrobinette.com/images/Audio/TRS_Pinout.jpg

I see that michael-p did a double jack mod but that will be two TS jacks. Each side only caries the audio for that side (sleeve and signal) and will have to be merged into a TRS plug at some point to plug into a phone or computer.

I know - I wanted to go with the double jack and just used the two TRSs. I didnt know enough to get the TS jacks. Perhaps next time, after I get a little better at this...

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #28 of 45
Well... they worked well if seated properly on the post and NOT inside the other part of the earcup. However, when removing one of the drivers, I severed one of the two hair-like wires there on the side. So, RIP, driver. Phooey.

Any suggestions for a replacement?
Order replacements from Sennheiser, or score a busted or used HD280.

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #29 of 45
Order replacements from Sennheiser, or score a busted or used HD280.

Aha! Victory is mine, thanks to my spouse. She's got the same headphones (though hers have an elaborate cage over the drivers to keep dopes like me from getting at them), so I swapped out the drivers half of the cups and one of the back plates, wired the thing up, and... sounds brilliant!! Definitely got me out of my fail-funk. Now I've got to make detachable cable for 'em; am using some garbage from Monster I had lying around at the moment. It has a little *rhinestone* on the in-line remote; eep.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #30 of 45
Wow, that's mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back