Sennheiser hd280 vs hd518
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

waterboy52

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on head-fi. I was hoping to get help choosing between the hd280 and hd518.  I have them priced around $100 each. I am hoping to get a pair and couple it with a fio e6 amplifier. 

I know that the 280 is closed back and the 518 is open. I am really looking for a headphone with little leakage and better sound isolation (hence the 280) but I also want better sound quality, and from what I have heard, the 518 is better in that category. 

I intend to use them at home for music and movies, walking to class/work, and likely in a library setting. I will probably be using them for extended periods of time (up to 5 hours).

Please help me compare the pro's and cons.Sound quality and sound leakage are probably tied for being the most important to me. comfort and sound isolation come next.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it. I can't afford much more than $120

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on head-fi. I was hoping to get help choosing between the hd280 and hd518.  I have them priced around $100 each. I am hoping to get a pair and couple it with a fio e6 amplifier. 

I know that the 280 is closed back and the 518 is open. I am really looking for a headphone with little leakage and better sound isolation (hence the 280) but I also want better sound quality, and from what I have heard, the 518 is better in that category. 

I intend to use them at home for music and movies, walking to class/work, and likely in a library setting. I will probably be using them for extended periods of time (up to 5 hours).

Please help me compare the pro's and cons.Sound quality and sound leakage are probably tied for being the most important to me. comfort and sound isolation come next.

Also, if anyone has other suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it. I can't afford much more than $120

Thanks in advance for any help!

haven't heard the HD280 so i can't compare the sound quality but i can guess that the HD518 should be significantly more comfortable. the earcups on that are a lot deeper, and i have seen some people complain about the comfort of the HD280 before. however i think the HD518 would be quite useless in a library unless you listen at like volume 1 or something. 

HD280 being more practical and has more isolation, HD518 sounding better and more comfortable

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the response! I had a suspicion that the 518 headset would be a poor fit for a quiet environment. If it helps for a recommendations I listen to EDM mainly vocal trance and some drum and bass. I also listen to folk/bluegrass and acoustic guitar. I would prefer a very balanced soundstage over booming bass.

Thanks again!

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, usually sells around $85-$90.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back