Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #21,841 of 46,554
Just had a chance to try out the new earpads. Disappointingly, they're actually shallower than the original earpads. Comfort seems to be fine, and i think the opening might be slightly larger. With the new pads, treble seems much more prominent but bass impact is definitely lacking. They also sound more open, but in return some of the lushness of the midrange is lost. Overall, the new pads are drier and more neutral sounding than the originals. If anyone ever thought the hd650 was veiled, the ebay pads might actually be a good investment. However, I really enjoyed the lushness and musicality of the original pads and I'll probably be returning the new ones.

Thanks! I've often wondered what these pads are like, as they look like good copies in the pictures.

How does the velour material quality and the overall standard of manufacturing / finish compare with the stock pads?

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #21,842 of 46,554
Yes :) and it wasn't my first time (4th).
But that environment it's not a perfect place for comparing open headphones,very noisy,people bumping into you and looking at you with googly eyes waiting for their turn.
I had the pleasure to listen to Norah Jones(Come Away with Me-album) it sounded beautiful on the Orpheus.
I feel lucky !:)
It looks beatiful too :)

You are lucky. I only got to hear it once at CES around 1993.

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #21,843 of 46,554

No offense, it's a valid question (maybe I should be flattered that anybody even bothered to research anything I have had to say).  I've covered some of this history earlier in this thread.  I was a big 650 fan from the first day they came out but gradually started dabbling with the more expensive phones and eventually let the 650's go.  Over the next few years, I went from the HD800's to Stax 007's to LCD-2R2's (2 years), then the LCD3 for a year.  During that time, the Sennheiser amp became a favorite of mine with the LCD-3's.  In November, my favorite dealer Music Direct had a very good deal on 650's and the balanced cable, so just for the heck of it I got it to go along with my Sennheiser amp.  As I've said before, I never expected the 650's to sound better than the LCD-3's but they absolutely did.  I always suspected it was due to the great synergy between the Sennheiser amp and headphones but it sounded way better than I ever remembered it.  As time has passed over the past couple months, my enthusiasm for the 650's has not diminished at all.  My statement in the post you quoted was based on an old and incorrect memory of how the 650's sounded relative the flagships and I should not have made it so definitively.  However, I did a lot of actual comparison between the LCD-3 and the 650 and there was no doubt at the time I sold the LCD-3's.

Thanks for the info @donlin - really interesting to hear how you came back to the 650's. I'm intrigued about the Sennheiser amp, especially since it's solid state, whereas I've always appreciated the synergy between the 650's and tube amps... guess I'll have to give the HDVD 800 a listen sometime...

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #21,845 of 46,554

What is your amp/DAC setup?  You'll always see greater improvement upgrading one of those components, if they are substandard...

... but with that said, I'm a fan of silver plated copper (SPC)

I have the upgraded Maverick audio D1 plus DAC/amp and the upgraded A1 tube amp. I honestly can't hear the difference between either using the D1 alone or either with the A1 connected to it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or do the tubes need to be burned in before they do something really? I've used the A1 for only 15 hours or so.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #21,846 of 46,554
  I have the upgraded Maverick audio D1 plus DAC/amp and the upgraded A1 tube amp. I honestly can't hear the difference between either using the D1 alone or either with the A1 connected to it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or do the tubes need to be burned in before they do something really? I've used the A1 for only 15 hours or so.

What tubes are you using? Different manufacturers will sound different, and I personally find most NOS or new tubes usually flesh out fully 20-40 hours in. Burn in is a controversial subject, but I personally find a lot of tubes sound very dull for the first while, and "open up" after that 20-40 hour period. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #21,847 of 46,554
Thanks! I've often wondered what these pads are like, as they look like good copies in the pictures.

How does the velour material quality and the overall standard of manufacturing / finish compare with the stock pads?

The material is worse than the originals, but not by too much. There weren't any glaring problems with them- they were just shallower. If they didn't change the sound so much I'd be keeping them.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #21,848 of 46,554

I would live with it a bit.  That's a bunch of stuff to get used to...

But tube upgrades most likely will give you noticed improvements.  I doubt anyone here would argue with that.  Arguments with cable upgrades will send this thread down a bitter path....lol

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #21,849 of 46,554

I would live with it a bit.  That's a bunch of stuff to get used to...

But tube upgrades most likely will give you noticed improvements.  I doubt anyone here would argue with that.  Arguments with cable upgrades will send this thread down a bitter path....lol

Unless you're upgrading from the HD25's steel cables. We can all agree that steel has worse conductivity than copper and silver. That's for another conversation in another thread however...

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #21,852 of 46,554
[COLOR=333333]A1 uses two matched NOS 6J1 tube (stock ones) or [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Raytheon 6AK5 vintage NOS 6AK5 (what I have atm)[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] tube to drive the headphone output. I don't hear the difference though...[/COLOR]

I don't have any experience with 6AK5 tubes, but the RCA's are supposedly good all arounders from reading reviews online. I normally hear a difference in the highs/treble compared to solid state, and also midrange- especially guitar. The 650s have a very sweet ability to gel with tubes that bring out the mids. If you aren't hearing a difference, chances are you probably won't hear anything really change. Maybe try some Telefunken or Mullards out? There is a lot of tube rolling advice with the Little Dot III, which uses them as well.

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #21,855 of 46,554
I'm curious what you plug it into since it has a female xlr and most headphone amps need a male xlr.

Hah, I wanted to see who would notice.  I was guessing an adapter gone wrong.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back