Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 19, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #5,656 of 8,818
So I bought it. Tried it. Returning it. For what I care about the 660S is a better headphone for me personally.
The disparity of how tracks sound based on mastering is part of it. The 800S is pretty ruthless and revealing and anything that didn't have good mastering is substandard.
While the sound stage was larger than the 600/660S it's not that much larger to my ears. I was shocked it wasn't much larger based on how much people talk about it.
Strings were just a bit odd. I can't put a finger on it. Maybe only because they were pushed "back" from my listening perspective if nothing else. The timbre was just "off".
The 660S is just plain more fun to listen to.

I know other people have stated most of if not all of these things. I should have listened I guess.
For what it's worth I did NOT find them lifeless or flat or thin or any of those negatives I've seen stated here. They aren't as "full" sounding as the 660S, but that appears to me to be because staging is pushed back out of the listeners head a bit.

I really wanted to like them more. Oh well, you live you learn. I'll continue to listen for another day or so to make sure nothing drastic happens and there's no revelation, but I think I've made up my mind.

May 19, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #5,657 of 8,818
So I bought it. Tried it. Returning it. For what I care about the 660S is a better headphone for me personally.
The disparity of how tracks sound based on mastering is part of it. The 800S is pretty ruthless and revealing and anything that didn't have good mastering is substandard.
While the sound stage was larger than the 600/660S it's not that much larger to my ears. I was shocked it wasn't much larger based on how much people talk about it.
Strings were just a bit odd. I can't put a finger on it. Maybe only because they were pushed "back" from my listening perspective if nothing else. The timbre was just "off".
The 660S is just plain more fun to listen to.

I know other people have stated most of if not all of these things. I should have listened I guess.
For what it's worth I did NOT find them lifeless or flat or thin or any of those negatives I've seen stated here. They aren't as "full" sounding as the 660S, but that appears to me to be because staging is pushed back out of the listeners head a bit.

I really wanted to like them more. Oh well, you live you learn. I'll continue to listen for another day or so to make sure nothing drastic happens and there's no revelation, but I think I've made up my mind.

I was really disappointed with the 660S...have you ever tried the HD650? I much preferred them.

May 19, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #5,660 of 8,818
I'm quite curious what you you hear as good mastering or bad mastering.

While the sound stage was larger than the 600/660S it's not that much larger to my ears.
Soundstage is always relative to ears size, isn't it ? :~)

May 20, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #5,661 of 8,818
been listening to my hd800s for quite some time now and tempting to change pads

any recommendations on which pads?
Would not mind adding a bit of warmth with the addition of the pads (if possible)

May 20, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #5,662 of 8,818
How many people here are using the HD800S as their daily? I see a lot of "I use it for x" but I want one headphone to use without switching out all the time.
I almost only use either my Focal Solo6 Be or the HD800S exclusively for everything. Gaming, movie, Youtube, VOIP and everything in between, the other full sizes are only really taken out sparsely to play with.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #5,663 of 8,818
been listening to my hd800s for quite some time now and tempting to change pads

any recommendations on which pads?
Would not mind adding a bit of warmth with the addition of the pads (if possible)
I quite like the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads. Comfortable and maybe a little warmer also, it is too long since I heard the originals to be sure.

May 22, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #5,664 of 8,818
I've been happy with Misodiko sheepskins on my HD800S. They're about the same depth as stock, so color very little, although to my ears they do slightly collapse the soundstage, not IMO a bad thing.

I use Dekoni hybrids on HD800/SDR, and the delta from stock is more noticable, both toward lifting the bottom, and slightly smoothing the top. Space and detail remain impressive.

May 22, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #5,665 of 8,818
Any suggestion for a HD800s XLR 4Pin cable within europe ? Thanks!

May 23, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #5,670 of 8,818
Any suggestion for a HD800s XLR 4Pin cable within europe ? Thanks!
Custom cans from UK! It is a little bit cheaper and for my ears the same as Forza! I sold the Custom cans because it is stiffer than my Forza

Attachments

• custom.jpg
    custom.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back