Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 31, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #5,701 of 8,818
May 31, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #5,703 of 8,818
Is there a consensus for a favorite aftermarket cable for the 800s'? In the market for a copper cable. Thanks!

What makes you think the cable it shipped with isn't just fine ?

Yes! We agree to disagree. :D

As a new member from what I've read I'd question whether that's true but I'm only here for fun so "Let it be... let it be.." :~)

May 31, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #5,704 of 8,818
What makes you think the cable it shipped with isn't just fine ?

Oh I think you're going to do just fine here :D

As a new member from what I've read I'd question whether that's true but I'm only here for fun so "Let it be... let it be.." :~)

Whisper words of wisdom :p

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #5,705 of 8,818
Today's big contest is starting - same source and same amp with direct comparison. Let's see.
IMG_1141.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #5,706 of 8,818
Is there a consensus for a favorite aftermarket cable for the 800s'? In the market for a copper cable. Thanks!
Just FYI, the stock HD 800 S cable is a silver plated oxygen free copper cable, internally wired in a balanced configuration but terminated in a 6.5mm single-ended headphone plug (gold plated for corrosion resistance).

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #5,707 of 8,818
Just FYI, the stock cable is a silver plated oxygen free copper cable, internally wired in a balanced configuration but terminated in a 6.5mm single-ended headphone plug (gold plated for corrosion resistance).
Hi there, I got the 800s version that no longer comes with the 4 pin XLR but I would like one.. aare you saying that the 6.5mm single-ended headphone plug can be re-terminated to a 4 pin XLR since its wired in balanced configuration? I am looking for the stock 4 pin XLR by Sennheiser that used to come with the headphones but it is so expensive to buy it separately now.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #5,708 of 8,818
I bought a NOS pair of 800s (not 800Ss) that came with only one cable (SE). I spent another hundred euros on a nice balanced cable. I guess there could be times when I want to walk around the house using the stock SE cord :D

I read that at some point Sennheiser was including coupons to be redeemed for an XLR cable but I either missed it in the packet of goodies or mine just didn't have one.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #5,709 of 8,818
I bought a NOS pair of 800s (not 800Ss) that came with only one cable (SE). I spent another hundred euros on a nice balanced cable. I guess there could be times when I want to walk around the house using the stock SE cord :D

I read that at some point Sennheiser was including coupons to be redeemed for an XLR cable but I either missed it in the packet of goodies or mine just didn't have one.
Can anybody elaborate on this? I would really love to have the Sennheiser XLR cable.. seems kinda unfair to the buyers who got the version that comes with the 4.4mm balanced cable.. I really have no use for this. I would even be willing to send it in for a trade for the 4 pin XLR.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #5,710 of 8,818
Hi there, I got the 800s version that no longer comes with the 4 pin XLR but I would like one.. aare you saying that the 6.5mm single-ended headphone plug can be re-terminated to a 4 pin XLR since its wired in balanced configuration? I am looking for the stock 4 pin XLR by Sennheiser that used to come with the headphones but it is so expensive to buy it separately now.
It can be re-terminated with a 4-pin XLR if you’re handy with a soldering iron. There have been some here or in the 800 thread who received both early on and may accept an offer.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #5,711 of 8,818
Can anybody elaborate on this? I would really love to have the Sennheiser XLR cable.. seems kinda unfair to the buyers who got the version that comes with the 4.4mm balanced cable.. I really have no use for this. I would even be willing to send it in for a trade for the 4 pin XLR.
You can terminate it yourself with a Neutrik 4-pin XLR (+/-$7.00) I did this with my 800 as well as another members 800.

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #5,714 of 8,818

Just to clarify, in the box I received one SE cable with a standard 1/4 inch plug.. I didn't get the 4.4 and I would have no use for that.

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #5,715 of 8,818
Can the 4.4mm balanced cable be reterminated to the 4 pin XLR? I would rather do that and keep a 6.5mm single ended cable as well
Since the 4.4mm plug already is balanced, you could just get a 4.4mm to XLR adapter.

I have a Sennheiser HDV 820 and a Sony ZX300, both have the 4.4mm plug, so I can use the same cable on both amps. Though honestly, I use my HD 660 S on both setups, and the HD 800 S just on the desktop amp. Your setup might be different.

Sometimes the extra cable is just bundled in as a launch promotion, though Sennheiser tends to run the “promo” period for a long time. And sometimes when they’re sold under MSRP, they don’t have as many extras.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back