Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary)
May 2, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #5,596 of 8,790
Did not, just didn’t fit me at all. It was one of the newest ones that come with 4.4mm balanced cable though

It's hard for a manufacturer to design headword gear that works for everyone but it can be done :L3000:

noteveryone.jpg
mod.jpg

May 2, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #5,598 of 8,790
Guess it is. Also the people who say they’re good for rock and metal music either use extreme EQ and tube amps or they love hearing all the details without any excitement from the music. At least I made a profit when I sold them, can’t complain too much

Love them with Rock, or Indie, or Classical, or Grunge, or Opera, or ...... well pretty much everything really. I don't use heavy EQ - in fact with the HD800S I use none at all. I have a tube amp, but its not one of those overly warm amps - more very linear, just providing the additional voltage any high impedance headphone usually requires. Also sounds great to me on solid state too. Personally I'm not really into metal.

Could it be that the sound signature just didn't gel with your particular tastes? Or is it a case of everyone of us who enjoy them clearly has issues ....... ?

Just messing with you. Love it when people make blanket statements that if someone likes something (because you don't) then there is something wrong with the way they're listening :wink:

May 3, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #5,599 of 8,790
I tried all positions, all adjustments,etc. they were always uncomfortable after a while and I got headaches. Maybe my head has a weird shape, dunno. I find the hd6xx very comfortable as a comparison
I've had a degree of comfort issues with nearly every headphone I've owned. Including the HD800.

The struggle is real, folks.

May 3, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #5,600 of 8,790
Try the AFC or AFO line. If you have a weird head shape, these headphones will probably be able to accommodate for it.

May 3, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #5,602 of 8,790
1F5FD9EC-A4FE-4D61-B204-0FCF44EAE211.gif

May 3, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #5,603 of 8,790
It's just very uncommon that someone finds the HD800 / HD800s to be anything but the most comfortable headphones they've ever worn.

The reaction is surprise, not disbelief.
Context is also important.

My discomfort across the board of headphones (most at least) manifests as hot spotting right in the middle on the top of my head. This (in most cases) only requires a re-adjustment every hour or so. In part, it's why I've dealt with it whilst owning the HD800 a whole bunch of times.

Otherwise I do consider the HD800 a rather comfortable headphone.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #5,604 of 8,790
Every time I think I might just sell my pair (had them since the HD800S were released), I put them on and listen to them and just give my head a shake and think "what was I thinking"??? Still very impressive headphones that won't be going anywhere anytime soon!

May 4, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #5,606 of 8,790
Sold mine in the past and came back to them. Nothing as comfortable for me, even the Empyrean. Still my favourites sound-wise too.

Why did you sell them if they are your favorites comfort and sound-wise? Life reasons or the buying new gear bug we suffer from?

May 4, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #5,607 of 8,790
Why did you sell them if they are your favorites comfort and sound-wise? Life reasons or the buying new gear bug we suffer from?

It was a couple of years ago when I sold my first pair. There is always that nagging thought that there may be something even better out there, when there isn't. Yes, buying new gear bug too!

May 4, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #5,608 of 8,790
Every time I think I might just sell my pair (had them since the HD800S were released), I put them on and listen to them and just give my head a shake and think "what was I thinking"??? Still very impressive headphones that won't be going anywhere anytime soon!
I think it only need driver upgrade, because acoustically it is still by far most advanced headphones even today. Drivers came a long way though.

May 5, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #5,609 of 8,790
It's just very uncommon that someone finds the HD800 / HD800s to be anything but the most comfortable headphones they've ever worn.

I also don't find them that comfortable. They're very light but the pads seem to sit on the top of my ears and the headband doesn't carry the weight very well. Just too many headshapes (Go Dan Ackroyd!) for one design to work for everybody.

OTOH I feel comfortable in LCDs and a lot of people can't wear them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back