Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled!
Feb 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #3,466 of 6,504
In one sense the stock Sennheiser cable IS a premium cable.
It does use premium quality materials.
Is designed for a high impedance load.
And is well shielded.

It can be modified if need be, and one easy and effective mod is to shorten it.
By ≈ 1/2.

So while it does cost $300, IMHO there are better $300 cables available.

JJ

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3,467 of 6,504
  ColorWare Custom Sennheiser HD 800 S Headphones (with your select-able colors]
http://www.colorware.com/p-626-sennheiser-hd-800-s.aspx

one example

How long until somebody gets the original HD800 colours on their HD800S?

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #3,468 of 6,504

That is not an opinion.  It's a fact.
The link you provided is not the balanced cable you get with the HD800 S.
The link you posted is a premium balanced cable for the HD800.

Sorry, it's the same cable. It's just a CH800S with a black plug - and you paid for it. I believe that Sennheiser honestly think the HD800 works better balanced, and of course they want to encourage people to use it with their amps. It's good marketing and a good way of selling an expensive cable.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #3,469 of 6,504
  ​ I previously owned the balanced cable for the original HD800, just sold it on eBay as I don't need two, and apart from the input plug now being black, the balanced cable provided with the HD800S is identical in appearance and performance to the stand alone cable - I've tried it with the original HD800, which I've still got. I'm guessing that the reason Sennheiser have included it, not free but as part of the package is to encourage sales of their amps which of course have balanced inputs. It may also be that they believe that in order to get the best performance from it you need to use it in balanced mode! Just a little dig at the SE is best fans!

In one sense the stock Sennheiser cable IS a premium cable.
It does use premium quality materials.
Is designed for a high impedance load.
And is well shielded.

It can be modified if need be, and one easy and effective mod is to shorten it.
By ≈ 1/2.

So while it does cost $300, IMHO there are better $300 cables available.

JJ

Thanks for the confirmations!

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #3,470 of 6,504
Well 300 bucks pays for my 3D printed silver y splitter at dhc for my flagship type 4 litz pure silver cable that will take three months to ship:))
Still for those with no sense and lots of time, will let you know my thoughts on this with some pics, when I get shipped. :p

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,471 of 6,504

Get both.
Highly unlikely he will not like the HD800 S

Exactly! 
This is what I am going to do 
biggrin.gif

I just got the HE1000 and I am waiting for the HD800 S to be released in my country 
popcorn.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #3,472 of 6,504

Exactly! 
This is what I am going to do 
biggrin.gif

I just got the HE1000 and I am waiting for the HD800 S to be released in my country 
popcorn.gif

Enjoy!  I am still waiting for my 800S

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #3,475 of 6,504
as reminded in Orpheus II thread

About new Sennheiser 'Orpheus II', from now it's officially Sennheiser HE 1.

and as I anticipated too few month ago

Originally Posted by james444 
The Senn rep watched me smilingly and after I handed him the Orpheus back, he told me they were working on two successors, one that (once again) will sell for the equivalent of a middle class car and another one that will be more affordable for ordinary people, about €1500 or so.
EDIT: this was written already 2 years ago... and one half is 'true' for now.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,476 of 6,504
I've been lurking here for a very long time and this will be my first message. So, hello!

I've been tracking the availability of the HD800S in the US on a variety of fronts for months now. Today I finally got the news I have been waiting for.

In response to an inquiry I sent to Sennheiser USA, they replied today,
 The HD800S has begun shipping. We do not currently have any in stock, however some of our dealers may. New order are currently expected at the beginning of April.

Upon reading this, I picked up the phone and called my local Best Buy (which has a Magnolia Design Center) and discovered they are now available for order there. So, I drove down and placed the order which the salesperson said should be available for pickup in store by the third week in March.

If you've been waiting to order in the US, make some calls. It seems they are now becoming available.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,477 of 6,504
I ordered mine from TTVJ on Saturday. They are arriving tomorrow. When I emailed Todd they had two pairs. Really, looking forward to hearing these.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #3,479 of 6,504
  A question for the HD800 S owners, is it musical and thicker compared to the original HD800?

Can anybody compare the sound signature to the HE560, which is thin and boring?
Or compare it to Ether?

Goodness NO! They are simply like the HD800 headphones without the treble peak/resonance and a wee bit more bass down low. No other differences. Some might say this is a small improvement, but for me, I found myself avoiding the HD800s with many brighter recordings and as a result they stayed shelved for long periods of times. Now, that's not the case...so these small improvements turned out quite big for me.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,480 of 6,504
  Goodness NO! They are simply like the HD800 headphones without the treble peak/resonance and a wee bit more bass down low. No other differences. Some might say this is a small improvement, but for me, I found myself avoiding the HD800s with many brighter recordings and as a result they stayed shelved for long periods of times. Now, that's not the case...so these small improvements turned out quite big for me.

Are you saying that the HD800 S is "thin"? Bass not extended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back