Sennheiser HD820
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #4,321 of 4,367
Hey everyone,
Any idea where I can purchase dust covers for the HD820? Seems the ones for the HD800/HD800S are not compatible, and I cannot even find the Part Number of those for the HD820.
Also took a look, yep no where to be found....hhhhhmmm???
https://spares.sennheiser-hearing.com/catalog/product/507435-hd-820
....probably best to contact Sennheiser directly.
https://spares.sennheiser-hearing.com/

For those who are curious HD820 pads are on the left.
Senn pads 820 & 800.jpg

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #4,322 of 4,367
I asked that question, about the covers and this is the answer,

'The part number is 574948, however this item is not sold separately outside of production.

We are currently speaking with the development team to see what answers they have.

Apologies for any inconvenience'.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #4,324 of 4,367
Thanks for all the help guys!

I asked that question, about the covers and this is the answer,

'The part number is 574948, however this item is not sold separately outside of production.

We are currently speaking with the development team to see what answers they have.

Apologies for any inconvenience'.

How did you get in contact with them to start with? I sent multiple emails because the chat bots didn't let me connect to a real person, but haven't received a reply unfortunately.

If I remember correctly they do come with the pad set.
You could try what I do standard - don't listen with them in place....

I did find the earpads for sale, but they do seem to come separately from the dust covers (at least on pictures). Can anyone confirm that?

And lastly - if anyone prefers not using the dust covers and is willing to sell them (preferably based in Europe), please let me know :)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #4,325 of 4,367
I'm based in the UK if that makes a difference, but I just filled in an online contact form on sennheiser-hearing.com with the country selected as the UK, took a week for a reply though. Will they follow up with another message? probably not.

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #4,326 of 4,367
I'm based in the UK if that makes a difference, but I just filled in an online contact form on sennheiser-hearing.com with the country selected as the UK, took a week for a reply though. Will they follow up with another message? probably not.

I also contacted the them through the online form by selecting UK and one more time by selecting DE. Haven't heard from them, but it's been less than 48 hours since, so based on your comment, it seems they take their time with responses :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #4,329 of 4,367
1000009230.jpg
I still do not get what others complain about this HP and yes I do have a few others but this has become my favorite especially when everyone's asleep!
When i listen to Adam Agee & Jon Sousa, the Guitar an Violin have different volume (which is annoying to begin as they are separated left/right) and the volume and position of the violin changes depending if it is playing on the lower or higher registers.

This is not supposed to happen and that is why people complain. That is an issue you usually get from cheap Chifi IEM but should not happen with gear in that price range (though it happens with even more expensive gear too)

Feb 28, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #4,330 of 4,367
When i listen to Adam Agee & Jon Sousa, the Guitar an Violin have different volume (which is annoying to begin as they are separated left/right) and the volume and position of the violin changes depending if it is playing on the lower or higher registers.
Haven't noticed this myself, will need to take a listen, possibly an incompatibly with the way the cups are designed and individual ears.

Feb 28, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #4,332 of 4,367

This is not supposed to happen and that is why people complain. That is an issue you usually get from cheap Chifi IEM but should not happen with gear in that price range (though it happens with even more expensive gear too)
I'm not sure I understand the issue. I'm listening to An Dro on Tidal and have run that track on the 820 and a handful of ZMF and Sennheiser headphones. What I'm finding is the slight movement up/down would be the actual physical movement of the notes on the neck of the guitar. If one were standing holding the guitar traditionally, if you plucked each string from top to bottom that sound would "move" as well in the playback as it's angle to the microphone is changing. That's natural sounding to me and what I would expect to hear. But I may be misunderstanding your complaint. But I found the 820 exceptional on that track. All headphones were high impedance sets run off a Stratus tube amplifier. I didn't find the 820 to differ dramatically from any others in it's performance, other than the expected tonal shifts and slight soundstage size differences. But it sounded natural to my ears. Nice track, BTW, I added that to my playlist :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #4,333 of 4,367
For many years I was only fixated on closed-back headphones.
Because these three mottos guided me:
1. Headphones should sound as good and as faithful as possible
2. I don't want to disturb the surroundings and household members
3. I don't want to hear my surroundings and I want to isolate myself from it

That's why I was fighting with my own thoughts HD820 (closed) vs HD800s (open)

Ad.1 A statement is made on one of the well-known YT channels
that the HD820s sound like your head is immersed in a bathtub full of water and hitting the bottom
This is not a fair assessment. The HD820s play very well.
But do the HD820s sound as spacious, with such a huge music stage and as lively as the HD800s - I don't think so.
This does not justify the 1/3 higher price of the HD820.

Ad.2 Yes, HD820 are not as audible outside, but they are not as perfectly sealed as in other closed headphones.
Ad.3 Do the HD820 isolate perfectly - no, and you can listen to what's going on outside. They isolate, but it's not perfect either

I tested both models for a few days
And after many years of using many many closed headphones
I bought HD800s - it's a different dimension of sound.
Ad.1 I recommend testing these two models using the same amplifier and the same playlist.
But if you count on Ad.2 and Ad.3 - the HD820 is not an ideal choice at this price.

Only my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #4,334 of 4,367
Ad.1 I recommend testing these two models using the same amplifier and the same playlist.
I did that and wouldn't agree with almost anything written above.

I did those tests as you recommended, and I just couldn't decide which I'd rather take.

So I took both... they have their own advantages and not weaknesses :wink:

That's my opinion. :)

Cheers!

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #4,335 of 4,367
Still can’t get these to “fit” right. If I press them slightly against my head then they sound fantastic but if I don’t I lose a ton of mids and bass, leaving them sounding thin and tinny. If the pads were thicker (which seems like that would be hard to do!) then maybe they’d seal better. Very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back