Sennheiser Momentum Repair / Disassembling
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NSXY

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to repair a Sennheiser Momentum which I bought some days ago (in used condition) without realizing at that time that the left ear cup have some problem.

As many people may know the ear cups of the Sennheiser Monetum are mounted on guide rails. Here is a picture of the sound right ear cup.

As seen on the picture there is a white plastic on which the ear cup is gliding on the guide rail and enables the user to adjiust for size. The main purpose of the white plastic seems to be to hold the ear cup firmly on the adjusted position.

On the left & broken side this white plastic has jumped out. I disassembled the ear cup to asses the situation and took a picture of it.

Removing the ear cup was easy but now I stuck because I am not sure how to disassemble the ball joint / capsule without to do further damage. There is a thread on the top of the ball joint on which the ear cup can be screwed but nothing else.

On the other side there is a glued Sennheiser faceplate.

Does somebody have an idea how to open that kind ball joint? My hope is, that the white plastic is not broken but only displaced from its original position.

Thank you

Feb 12, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 4
I had the exactly same problem with my momentum m2 wireless, and could not find anything on the internet about it
It seems like the whole momentum range has the same mechanic design (and flaw).

The Sennheiser faceplate you mentioned is in fact really glued to the base but there are two screws behind which holding the joint together.

I managed to separate the faceplate with "standard" glued part removal practices:
1: heat the plate carefully to soften the glue (on my version the plate is some kind of metal so no melting is expected. Although i did not heat above ~50-60°C).
2: try to remove it with whatever tool you have. (Somehow slid a sharp point bent tweezer carefully between the plate and the base. That did the trick, although left a little scratch mark so i do not recommend this method.)

Unfortunately i forget to take photos during the disassembly, only have an "after fix" photo about that joint:

When you unscrew those screws the entire joint falls apart and exposes those white plastics.

The plastic parts are glued to a rubber holder thing inside, which is not really visible, but i think these rubber parts are responsible for the tension which presses these plastics to the guide rail. The white plastic part can be glued back onto those rubber parts, which fixes the issue (for a while).

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 4
You do not need to take these apart to solve this problem!! If the nylon slides haven't disintegrated completely and fallen out on their own, pick out what's left with tweezers or a hemostat. Then get a pair of rubber o-rings (I can't remember the size I used-- about 3/8" to 1/2"?) and stretch one over the cap with the "S" logo. It works better than the nylon glides ever did, and they've lasted me for... geez... four years, now. The ring fills the gap between the post and the rails, providing more than enough friction than it takes to keep the earcups from drifting.

The other thing I did to my pair was to replace the ear cups. My ears are a little taller than the stock cup allows for, and it got very uncomfortable to wear them for more than 20 minutes or so. I bought a pair of (overpriced) Brainwavz Velour. They are much more comfortable, but they let in a lot more ambient sound, cutting the noise-reducing characteristics down by around 40%. The stock set uses closed cell foam, while the Brainwavz use lighter, open-celled stuff. I may look for a better solution, but the discomfort is so bad that I'm sticking with the replacements.

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi,

I want to repair a Sennheiser Momentum which I bought some days ago (in used condition) without realizing at that time that the left ear cup have some problem.

As many people may know the ear cups of the Sennheiser Monetum are mounted on guide rails. Here is a picture of the sound right ear cup.

As seen on the picture there is a white plastic on which the ear cup is gliding on the guide rail and enables the user to adjiust for size. The main purpose of the white plastic seems to be to hold the ear cup firmly on the adjusted position.

On the left & broken side this white plastic has jumped out. I disassembled the ear cup to asses the situation and took a picture of it.

Removing the ear cup was easy but now I stuck because I am not sure how to disassemble the ball joint / capsule without to do further damage. There is a thread on the top of the ball joint on which the ear cup can be screwed but nothing else.

On the other side there is a glued Sennheiser faceplate.

Does somebody have an idea how to open that kind ball joint? My hope is, that the white plastic is not broken but only displaced from its original position.

Thank you
See my answer below. You don't need to disassemble -- just use rubber o-rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back