should i get the Grado sr60s or fiio e7?
Jun 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
ok here is the deal. i am grading on the 13th of june and i am getting 100$ to spend on what i want. i currently have the shure srh840 and was going to buy the fiio e7. my question is it worth it to get the fiio e7 or should i just get grado sr60s for my metal music enjoyment. i have always wanted to try grado and i feel this is my chance. also i already have the fiio e5 headphone amp. so is the fiio e7 a better idea then getting grado sr60s? they are about the same price here in canada. thanks for your time.

guys i will not have the money for a month or so so keep that in mind, and 90% of my music is heavy metal. i hear grado is amazing for metal.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 92
is anyone going to answer?

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 92
If you think the 840 are bright, sibilant or whatever you would like to call it, Grado's will most likely cause brain bleeding.
I use K701's, and the Grado SR80's were still a lot more sibilant. and FWIR, SR60's have more or equal amount of sibilance to the SR80's.
If I were you, I would find a store you can try grado's, or a place where you can return them easily.

For that reason: Fiio e7

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 92
SR60i.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 92
I voted for the Grados before I even read the OPs post, and I *like* Fiio amps. This is a no-brainer - the SR60 is one of THE great bargains anywhere in audio.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 92
The ear-splittingly painful experience was what I expected when I put on my SR60i after having listened to Audio Technica M50 extensively over the few months. But other than the fact that the upper mids were more pronounced on the SR60i and the sub-bass portion lacking, I found SR60i to be a decent, and certainly not painful headphones. I noticed some ear fatigue with the higher up SR325's however. With the shures, since they have pretty low impedance and high sensitivity, I doubt the E7 will enhance the sound quality, unless you are planning to use the DAC portion or the bass boost function of the device. I would get the SR60i.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 92
ok it looks like i will order the sr60s. i cannot try them because nowhere here sells them. i will be ordering from headphone bar in vancouver for $99

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 92
wow that's pretty expensive =/...Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy it hear on head-fi mint condition used or something? I would think the lower cost would compensate for the shipping and will cost less than $100.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 92
I would think so...there are a couple pairs of SR60i cans in the FS forum, and I would imagine they'd fit in a USPS Medium Priority box, which is something like $13 flat shipping.  Not sure what customs fees would be, but I can't imagine they'd be much if the headphones were marked at $40 or so.

Quote:
wow that's pretty expensive =/...Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy it hear on head-fi mint condition used or something? I would think the lower cost would compensate for the shipping and will cost less than $100.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 92

Quote:

most people selling it are in the us and i will need to pay customs fees. it would actually be cheaper to get it from headphonebar plus it would be here in a matter of days.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 92
I vote for the SR60i's. Not just because they're the only headphones I have (pretty noobish) but because they're so easily modifiable to change the sound signature. The ear splitting highs can be fixed pretty easily if you're willing to open the cups on the grados. 

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 92
in discussion of buying from the forums an someone post a link to one available on here. under $80 canadian is best and purchasable with pay pal.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 92
ok here is the deal. i am grading on the 13th of june and i am getting 100$ to spend on what i want. i currently have the shure srh840 and was going to buy the fiio e7. my question is it worth it to get the fiio e7 or should i just get grado sr60s for my metal music enjoyment. i have always wanted to try grado and i feel this is my chance. also i already have the fiio e5 headphone amp. so is the fiio e7 a better idea then getting grado sr60s? they are about the same price here in canada. thanks for your time.

guys i will not have the money for a month or so so keep that in mind, and 90% of my music is heavy metal. i hear grado is amazing for metal.

Unless you need the DAC portion of the E7, the amp portion isn't great. For that, you can save money by getting the E11 as a portable amp instead, which would do the 840's more justice..

I haven't heard the SR60i, though I'd love to. However I'd definitely invest in a DAC first and foremost.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 92

Quote:
Quote:

Unless you need the DAC portion of the E7, the amp portion isn't great. For that, you can save money by getting the E11 as a portable amp instead, which would do the 840's more justice..

I haven't heard the SR60i, though I'd love to. However I'd definitely invest in a DAC first and foremost.

ya i was thinking about the dac not the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back