Should I get the Schitt Gungnir or Yulong D-18 for a Lyr/AKG q701 combo?
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AlphaChicken

Head-Fier
So I have definitely become accustomed to my q701 headphones. I really like how they sound with some music. With other music, they can tend to sound a little harsh, and hurt my ears--in the highs that is. It also seems like with some music they tend to make it very apparent when music was produced badly.

I only listen to FLAC files from CD and Vinyl--Mostly vinyl.

So I am thinking about purchasing the Lyr tube hybrid amp by Schitt Audio. I like the idea of tubes--analog warmth has always appealed to me.  Also being able to fine tune the sound by switching out tubes is appealing.

I am not really sure which DAC to get. I do not want to get one that further brings out the harshness of my cans. I would like one that helps to balance out the analytical sound of the q701s with a little more warmth and musicality and that also gives the bass a little more punch.

I was between the gungnir by Schitt or the Sabre D-18 by Yulong.  I am afraid that the D-18 combined with a tube amp might be too warm or smooth or veiled. I enjoy detail and accuracy--I do not necessarily care about absolute faithful accuracy to the music...I just want great sounding, detailed, musical music.  

On the flipside I am worried that the gungnir will sound too clinical and harsh with my AKGs.

Some help would be appreciated. Especially if anyone has any experience with any of this equipment.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 2
Which did you go with? Add details to your profile, it helps me see your gear. It also helps other members leave recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back