Should I use phono or line in when I have an amp?
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Grom

New Head-Fier
I know this is a stupid question (go easy on me) but I keep getting conflicting answers online. I have a record player with a preamp inside and I want to connect it to an amp. Do I use phono or line in? For some reason online there’s mixed answers.

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 14
If your record player already has a preamp, then either phono or line will work going into your amp. The sound difference may be very subtle at best, but it ultimately depends on your equipment. I would recommend trying both and see if one or the other sounds better to you.

If you have the option to bypass or disable the preamp, then only use the line level as the phono signal wont be loud enough.

Aug 4, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 14
This is not a stupid question. Does the phono input on your amp contain an RIAA compliant phono preamp? Or is it just another line level input masquerading as a "phono input" (which is apparently not that uncommon on some newer gear)?

An RIAA compliant phono preamp doesn't just change the volume btw. It alters/corrects the timbral balance of the recording as explained in more detail here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

615px-RIAA-EQ-Curve_rec_play.svg.png

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 14
If you have the option to bypass or disable the preamp, then only use the line level as the phono signal wont be loud enough.
I think this is reversed. The Line-in input expects an amplified signal (from the preamp). A Phono input usually leads to a preamp -- which, presumably, you have turned off or bypassed on the turntable before connecting to Phono.

The question is whether the Phono input on your amplifier (with its preamp) sounds better than your turntable's preamp through Line-in.

One may be noisier or more colored than the other, and the only way to find out is to listen. You'd just have to see which you prefer.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 14
This is not a stupid question. Does the phono input on your amp contain a preamp? Or is it just another line level input masquerading as a "phono input" (which is apparently not that uncommon now on some newer gear)?

An RIAA compliant phono preamp doesn't just change the volume btw. It alters/corrects the timbral content of the recording as explained in more detail here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

615px-RIAA-EQ-Curve_rec_play.svg.png
I have the audio-technica LP3, with a preamp included

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 14
Just by coincidence, so do I. Great dependable turntable.

I run mine through Phono with the pre-amp off. There's a switch on the back of the LP3 -- Phono/Line.

From https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/support/audio-solutions-question-week-set-lp3-turntable/

-------------
– If you are connecting to a specified PHONO input on a stereo receiver or an external RIAA preamp, then move the switch on the rear of the turntable to the PHONO position, which disengages the turntable’s internal preamp.

– If connecting to a LINE level input on a stereo (CD, AUX, TAPE, etc.) or powered speakers with an analog AUX input, then move the switch on the rear of the turntable to the LINE position, which engages the turntable’s internal RIAA preamp.
-------------

I'd just try it with your amp. Put the LP3 on Phono, connect it to Phono on your amp, listen. Then switch the LP3 to Line and go through Line-in (or Aux). It's really going to depend on the interaction between the LP3 and your particular amp.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 14
I have the audio-technica LP3, with a preamp included
Understood. But that doesn't really answer my question above, which was about the phono input on the amp.

If you don't know, or are unsure about the characteristics of the phono input on the amp, then the easiest solution is probably to use the line level option on the turntable to a line level input on the amp, provided they both have the same type of connectors (hopefully RCA).

This is asuming that the turntable outputs a standard -10 dBV consumer line level audio signal. And the (RCA) line level input on your amp is designed to accept same...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

640px-Line_levels.svg.png

Without knowing the specific charactersitics of your amp's phono input, it's difficult to advise you on whether or not to use it. That may be why you've gotten such varied opinions on this question from other sources.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 14
Aug 5, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 14
A bit late in the conversation!

To achieve the best quality sound, analogue record players and tape decks should use phono (for RIAA equalization) - that's pretty much what it was designed for!

When you say "use phono", I assume you mean to use the phono output option on the turntable AND the phono input on the amp. And generally speaking, you would be correct that that is the best option to use with analog turntables (with no preamp built-in).

However, the OP already has an RIAA equalized line output option on his turntable. And therefore shouldn't need the RIAA equalization performed by a phono input on his amp. He can use the RCA consumer line level inputs on the amp instead.

Some current gear also does not include RIAA EQ on a phono input (or so I am told by Google). Which would mean that function would have to be performed by either the turntable, or a separate (RIAA compliant) phono preamp between the turntable and amp.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 14
A bit late in the conversation!

To achieve the best quality sound, analogue record players and tape decks should use phono (for RIAA equalization) - that's pretty much what it was designed for!
Sorry, but tape decks never, ever, ever used RIAA equalization. That's exclusive to vinyl. All tape decks (at least those that are quality stereo components) also adhered to the line-level standard for any non-phono input to receivers and pre-amps. It's why tape monitor inputs, Aux inputs, and CD inputs all act and sound the same.

Tape decks do use a recording bias and that depends on the tape formulation. Dolby and other add-ons later added frequency manipulation in an effort to optimize tape's frequency response, but that again was exclusive to tape, not phono. They're two separate mediums with different needs in frequency response "help" for each.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 14
Sorry, but tape decks never, ever, ever used RIAA equalization. That's exclusive to vinyl. All tape decks (at least those that are quality stereo components) also adhered to the line-level standard for any non-phono input to receivers and pre-amps. It's why tape monitor inputs, Aux inputs, and CD inputs all act and sound the same.

Tape decks do use a recording bias and that depends on the tape formulation. Dolby and other add-ons later added frequency manipulation in an effort to optimize tape's frequency response, but that again was exclusive to tape, not phono. They're two separate mediums with different needs in frequency response "help" for each.

I stand corrected!

I haven't used my separate's in over a decade. I am going to fact check (e.g. Google) my memory on this stuff in future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back